• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Rollout of the FL5 and the Big Tease - Decreasing want for this car?

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I want a hot hatch badly. The Civic just looks the best out of all the offerings currently. If I stepped outside of the hot hatch segment then I would say the new Mustang GT or something I can do off-roading in would be my next consideration. Bronco, more than likely.
Should try the gti. You can get the base for under msrp in the low 30s and come standard with a torque vectoring diff. Also pretty quick out of the box and quicker than a e92 m3 with unitronic.
Sponsored

nowaytoescape

First Name
Nicolas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Escape
Should try the gti. You can get the base for under msrp in the low 30s and come standard with a torque vectoring diff. Also pretty quick out of the box and quicker than a e92 m3 with unitronic.
I thought about the GTI cause I wanted a MK7.5 but the buttons being the way they are turned me away. Plus I couldn’t find any MK8’s SE (I think that’s the trim name) trims for under $40k at one point.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
I'm not deterred at all by the limited supply and ADMs. I'm willing to be very patient on this one and wait it out. It might be 6 months from now or 18 months, I'll eventually get one.

ElDuder

First Name
El
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Unless Honda decides to make many more FL5s than the announcements so far, this car is never going to be widely available.
The factory where they're made said earlier that it can produce 480 FL5 per month, for the whole world. The product life span has been announced as 3 years. So, 480x36=17,280 cars. The US got about 60% of the FK8s produced from 2017-2021. If the FL5 is the same, that's a little over 10,000 bound for the US. Over 3 years. Around 3,500/year.
For comparison, about 22,000 Fk8s were sent to the US. The time frame was a just little over four years because it started late in 2017 and 2020 was cut way back for COVID. Still, that's a a little over 5,000/year.
How many FK8s did you ever see just sitting on a lot? I saw one.
I won't pay the crazy numbers that dealers are asking right now. That probably means I'll never own one. I'll just have to live with my 2021 FK8.
Solid wall of speculation, thanks. Unless someone works for Honda bringing hard facts anything anyone says is worthless.

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
If used, low mileage FK8s weren't going for $40k-$50k then I'd consider it, but getting the new FL5 for around $50k is almost a steal. Used FK8s are ridiculously high and imo theres honestly no reason to get one with the FL5 being around the same price, its not like you are getting a deal on an FK8.

If used FK8s were alot reasonably priced (~$35k) I'd just get that instead and then trade it on for whenever the last model year FL5 comes out but thats not reality.

TeslaHonda

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model 3 Perf
If used, low mileage FK8s weren't going for $40k-$50k then I'd consider it, but getting the new FL5 for around $50k is almost a steal. Used FK8s are ridiculously high and imo theres honestly no reason to get one with the FL5 being around the same price, its not like you are getting a deal on an FK8.

If used FK8s were alot reasonably priced (~$35k) I'd just get that instead and then trade it on for whenever the last model year FL5 comes out but thats not reality.
List price in the used market is a bit of a different beast though. Much more prone to negotiation than new. My guess is most of those are selling for at least 10% under list.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
List price in the used market is a bit of a different beast though. Much more prone to negotiation than new. My guess is most of those are selling for at least 10% under list.
I disagree.

A dealer will look to try to be competitive with the market or even the best priced one in the market if aged long enough. However to think they'll just take thousands off (4-5k in your example) at which point most likely losing money (because people don't just give dealers their Type R) on the transaction when the market says not to do that... Probably will not happen.

I would equate that scenario to equal or less likely than finding an FL5 for MSRP in the states.

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
I wish that was true for me. The exact opposite happens from my experience. Dealerships will bait and switch, so they list the car low, and when you actually come in the car is actually 5%-15% more. All of the dealerships told me their FK8s were still selling for $45k - $50k which is stupid when I was calling about getting one.

I'd rather pay over MSRP for a brand new car than a molested used car

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
Doesn’t the FK8 win from a roll race though?! Instantly a better car. :rolleyes:

CyberCTR

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RSX Type S, '23 RR Type-R #929
I wish that was true for me. The exact opposite happens from my experience. Dealerships will bait and switch, so they list the car low, and when you actually come in the car is actually 5%-15% more. All of the dealerships told me their FK8s were still selling for $45k - $50k which is stupid when I was calling about getting one.

I'd rather pay over MSRP for a brand new car than a molested used car
But are they actually selling for that much?

Side note: Noticing a lot more listings for FL5's pop up on CarGurus. Might mean that those cars are finally close to making it to the stealerships.

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R

Side note: Noticing a lot more listings for FL5's pop up on CarGurus. Might mean that those cars are finally close to making it to the stealerships.
Yes they are unfortunately. Its part of the reason why the FL5 CTRs have just crazy markups. The market here for the CTR is just absurd. If the car wasn't one of the best all-in-one cars I'd look elsewhere. The updated styling of the FL5 made me want to get one

ssheff55

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX

2020 red FK8 with 15-20k miles sold for $52k this summer at one of my local dealers. INSANITY.

arsing116

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23’ GRC CE, 23’ Civic Si (Sold), 14’ Evo X GSR
T

There’s a BB 21’ FK8 by me in Michigan with 2,200 mi on it going for $50.5k.
Sponsored