• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Rollout of the FL5 and the Big Tease - Decreasing want for this car?

holland1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma
Very nice and like you have been down that same road with respect to keeping our marrigages in tact as had nine 2012/2013 Boss 302/LS cars in my stable back in the day but finally had to cut the herd loose including these 3 Pilot Production examples.

Pretty cool picture of 3 LE's all in the same garage that we will probably never ever see again therefore thanks for sharing!

PP0001-3 (2).jpg

If you could only have 1 the type R or the boss which would it be and why? And if it's the CTR is there anything the boss is better at?
Sponsored

Y82OneTwoSix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR - 2022 MDX Type S Advance
If you could only have 1 the type R or the boss which would it be and why? And if it's the CTR is there anything the boss is better at?
Terrific question but after thinking about your question a great deal I am not sure that I could pick one vehicle over the other as they are like day and night and there are just too many variables to consider such as the following.

Is your question centered around comparing a 2-seat Boss 302 Laguna Seca or a 4-seat Boss 302 Base model to a CTR as the Boss 302 Laguna Seca 2-seat model is a much different driving experience compared to a 4-seat model based on much better tires, larger wheels, rear seat delete, stiffer suspension, etc?

In addition when you speak of comparing to a CTR to a Boss 302, are you referring to a 1st or 2nd generation Type R and does that include the 2021 Limited Edition CTR?

Once I have a much better understanding which Boss 302 model that you are considering and which generation of CTR and model that you are interested in, I would be in a much better position to provide you with some thoughts about my preference?

Keep in mind that back in 2017 I purchased a 2018 Rallye Red CTR and a Ruby Red GT350R and just loved driving both of those vehicles immensely with my wife putting most of the miles on the CTR.

Looking forward to your response after which time I will respond back accordingly.

11th Gen Honda Civic Rollout of the FL5 and the Big Tease - Decreasing want for this car? 2017 GT350R and 2018 Civic Type R - 1 (2)

holland1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma
Terrific question but after thinking about your question a great deal I am not sure that I could pick one vehicle over the other as they are like day and night and there are just too many variables to consider such as the following.

Is your question centered around comparing a 2-seat Boss 302 Laguna Seca or a 4-seat Boss 302 Base model to a CTR as the Boss 302 Laguna Seca 2-seat model is a much different driving experience compared to a 4-seat model based on much better tires, larger wheels, rear seat delete, stiffer suspension, etc?

In addition when you speak of comparing to a CTR to a Boss 302, are you referring to a 1st or 2nd generation Type R and does that include the 2021 Limited Edition CTR?

Once I have a much better understanding which Boss 302 model that you are considering and which generation of CTR and model that you are interested in, I would be in a much better position to provide you with some thoughts about my preference?

Keep in mind that back in 2017 I purchased a 2018 Rallye Red CTR and a Ruby Red GT350R and just loved driving both of those vehicles immensely with my wife putting most of the miles on the CTR.

Looking forward to your response after which time I will respond back accordingly.

2017 GT350R and 2018 Civic Type R - 1 (2).jpg

I was thinking base to base but I wouldn't be against adding wheels/suspension to the boss if it made that big of a difference. I would need to keep the back seat though or add one if I found a LS. I wasn't even aware of differences between the 17/18 and 19/21 type Rs so I guess the 2nd gen.

I'm looking at both cars because I think the resale value will stay high. I only plan on driving it maybe a few thousand miles the first year and then probably less than a thousand/year after that. Maybe a track day to try it out but nothing serious. Or maybe a days drive to some back MT roads. I'd get the LE type R if the price was close to MSRP but I don't see those anywhere near that. I'm also guessing that the base FK8 and FL5 is so close driving wise it would be a similar outcome between the FL5 and boss (fun factor).

It looks like mid 30s to mid 40s for the base low mileage boss and at least 50s for the LEs. I haven't seen many base type R sales to really get a good Idea for what there selling for.

https://bringatrailer.com/auctions/results/?search=boss+302

https://bringatrailer.com/auctions/results/?search=civic+type+r

Y82OneTwoSix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR - 2022 MDX Type S Advance
I was thinking base to base but I wouldn't be against adding wheels/suspension to the boss if it made that big of a difference. I would need to keep the back seat though or add one if I found a LS. I wasn't even aware of differences between the 17/18 and 19/21 type Rs so I guess the 2nd gen.

I'm looking at both cars because I think the resale value will stay high. I only plan on driving it maybe a few thousand miles the first year and then probably less than a thousand/year after that. Maybe a track day to try it out but nothing serious. Or maybe a days drive to some back MT roads. I'd get the LE type R if the price was close to MSRP but I don't see those anywhere near that. I'm also guessing that the base FK8 and FL5 is so close driving wise it would be a similar outcome between the FL5 and boss (fun factor).

It looks like mid 30s to mid 40s for the base low mileage boss and at least 50s for the LEs. I haven't seen many base type R sales to really get a good Idea for what there selling for.

https://bringatrailer.com/auctions/results/?search=boss+302

https://bringatrailer.com/auctions/results/?search=civic+type+r
With you wanting to have a 4-seat vehicle obviously that takes the Boss 302 Laguna Seca out of the running and leaves the CTR FK8 and a 2012/2013 Boss 302 Base model.

If your high end budget is ~$50,000 I am not sure that an FL5 would be attainable at that price point, but if you were able to secure an ADM of $5,000 for the 2nd generation CTR then you might be in good shape.

Based on my understanding and your primary budget (mid $30K to mid $40K) I would look for a either a low mileage FK8 or a low mileage Boss 302 as they are both terrific automobiles and shouldn't be too much different in price point.

For me I personally might go with a low mileage Boss 302 Base model but no question that a low mileage FK8 model would be a terrific choice as well therefore either choice would be a winner in my books.

If you went with a 2012 Boss 302 there were only 3,290 examples built for that model year with the 2013 model year having 3,553 units assembled at the Flat Rock assembly plant for the final model year.

When looking at a Boss 302 a few things to keep in mind are the Boss 302 Owners Kit which adds a great deal of value to the vehicle, an OEM car cover as each of the 2 model years had unique car covers and are going for up to and over $1,000 these days if you can find one.

Make sure that you have both keys including the Red TracKey which can be programmed for a lopey cam idle, engine braking, etc. and with the quad exhaust system, make sure that you remove the side baffle plates from the exhaust outlets as they make a world of difference when shifting those outstanding Roadrunner engines at the 7,500 RPM redline.

Where the FK8 outshines the Boss 302 is centered around a much better transmission than the Chinese built MT82 transmission in the Boss cars as the transmission for the FK8 is simply outstanding in my opinion.

If you choose a Boss 302, prior to making any transaction I suggest that you get an Oasis Report from a Ford dealership which will detail any warranty work that may have been done on a vehicle that you are interested in.

No question that an FK8 is a more practical vehicle than the Boss 302 with my 2018 Rallye Red coming with very good fit and finish and when going on a longer trip the fuel economy on the CTR beats the Boss 302 by a long ways.

Good luck with your decision as either vehicle that you choose to purchase will be a terrific choice!!

Iamblue03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes
Probably not “deceasing in desirability,” but there are a lot of substitutes. I am fine with 718 gts, gr Corolla, manual supra and type r and I have my deposits on cayman and supra. It’s just a long lead time, and I am pretty sure I am not the anomaly here. Once more cars start to arrive, I am sure price will normalize. Patience is the name of the game.

ElDuder

First Name
El
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
I appreciate all the links, and like you said yes it was Takata who made bad airbags, did you know the latest issues with the DCT/high pressure oil pump on the Theta II also come from a 3rd party vendor? The fact remains as much as I love Honda, they had the largest recall in automotive history. The Elantra N is fun to drive and if I have an issue it's nice to know they'll replace the engine. 10 year/100,000 vs 3 year/36,000.
1. Managing QA of suppliers falls on Hyundai as does the ownership of the DCT issue.

2. Outside of the Takata airbag issue which they covered up before issuing a recall Ford has the largest recall in history when they had a recall of 20 million cars in the 1980s. Ford and GM basically own the top 10 largest auto recalls with Toyota have a few in the top 10.
Sponsored

Last edited: