• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Second Gear Grind 😢

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 fc3, 2021 fk8
Supposedly the CDV only delays clutch engagement, so it shouldn't affect the grinding issue. Yeah It's weird the rev match is changing anything. The difference in ratios from 1st to 2nd is the largest there is, so the synchros do need some more time to match shaft speeds. The higher the RPM, the larger the difference in speed.

There's this reference thread for the FK8:
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/transmission-grinds-lockouts-causes-solutions.62471/
Sponsored

OP
OP

Biscuitpie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000, 2018 340i
Supposedly the CDV only delays clutch engagement, so it shouldn't affect the grinding issue. Yeah It's weird the rev match is changing anything. The difference in ratios from 1st to 2nd is the largest there is, so the synchros do need some more time to match shaft speeds. The higher the RPM, the larger the difference in speed.

There's this reference thread for the FK8:
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/transmission-grinds-lockouts-causes-solutions.62471/
I was thinking maybe I'm just trying to shift too fast. I'm used to banging gears in cars with Tremecs, but I watched a couple videos to be sure and saw people shifting just as fast without issue.

Gillie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBP FL5
No second gear grind here, but I did have one going to third. I'm gonna say it's my error unless it happens again.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Auto Rev matching is a placebo. It blips the throttle while your foot is still on the clutch, when the transmission is NOT engaged to the engine.

OP
OP

Biscuitpie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000, 2018 340i
Auto Rev matching is a placebo. It blips the throttle while your foot is still on the clutch, when the transmission is NOT engaged to the engine.
I agree that it doesn't make sense, but it went from 100% to 0% of the time during moderate RPMs. Considering the same happened for FK8 idk. Could be an extreme coincidence

Starchland

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Verify hydraulics as well for air. Anything that will reduce effectiveness of the clutch to separate (excessive pedal free play adjustment, bad TOB, damaged friction disc, air in line) will maintain a load on the transmission input shaft, and in turn over work the synchros and not allow the gear to work properly.

JAMSXR

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C63
No grind here at 1,500 miles. First to second is the stiffest pull of the lot, but I figured it comes with the territory. Did quite a few 1st to 2nd shifts pulling out on track recently and it was pretty satisfying.

Good luck.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
No gear grind but noticed that the timing of the syncros is perfect with clutch foot all the way to the ground.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
No issues here either.
Get the sychros checked. The most amazing MTF (Amsoil in my opinion) won’t compensate for a faulty sychro.

Something to note too is that many (most?) of us are running the stock MTF with no problems. So, changing to a better MTF and hoping it’ll fix anything is not likely…but your other gears will probably be more buttery smooth. 🙃

Last edited:

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
Just checking that the car is at full operating condition when you are doing this. The transmission is notchy when cold like most performance transmissions. If it's still doing it consistently every time even when you are slow and deliberate it sounds like an issue with the sychro.

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
Of all the gears, 1st to 2nd shift feels the slowest. By that I mean there seems to be a natural resistance in the shifter that keeps me from shifting quickly between 1st and 2nd. Do you feel like you are forcing it when you shift and get the grind? If so, just slow it down a bit, no prizes being won trying to save a tenth of a second.

rob495

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2012 Ariel Atom
Does not seem normal to me. I sold my prior FK8 because off the transmission issues (1-2 grind, 3rd and 4th lockout). The FL5 has been perfect. However, I do take it easy on my 1-2 shifts.

I'd bring it to the dealer 1st. If that doesn't fix things, switch out the transmission oil (although this did not cure my FK8 issues). Failing all else, sell the car. The market is good enough where you can get a good price for the FL5. Living with a vehicle with a flawed transmission sucks all the joy out of the Type R experience.

OP
OP

Biscuitpie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000, 2018 340i
Does not seem normal to me. I sold my prior FK8 because off the transmission issues (1-2 grind, 3rd and 4th lockout). The FL5 has been perfect. However, I do take it easy on my 1-2 shifts.

I'd bring it to the dealer 1st. If that doesn't fix things, switch out the transmission oil (although this did not cure my FK8 issues). Failing all else, sell the car. The market is good enough where you can get a good price for the FL5. Living with a vehicle with a flawed transmission sucks all the joy out of the Type R experience.
Hmm but if you take it easy, then naturally you wouldn't have any issues. It's my third car so it doesn't ruin my experience enough to sell the car, but obviously I'd like it to not happen.

I will say that the problem has greatly reduced. I've read that hot fluid can cause such issues, and I was driving the car really hard on a very hot day, so there's another variable. I had an eye witness watching my foot, so I know I wasn't doing anything wrong haha.

But at this point, I think the dealer will just tell me they can't reproduce it. I will report back on if it happens again. There's also 0 play in my clutch, maybe even not enough.

Last edited:

savagegeese

First Name
Savagegeese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
I had a 2nd gear grind around 1500 miles, going from 1st to 2nd at 2800RPM. No real explanation. If its almost always for you, something mechanical is wrong, probably issue with 2nd gear set.

Starchland

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Zero play or not enough?
Hmm but if you take it easy, then naturally you wouldn't have any issues. It's my third car so it doesn't ruin my experience enough to sell the car, but obviously I'd like it to not happen.

I will say that the problem has greatly reduced. I've read that hot fluid can cause such issues, and I was driving the car really hard on a very hot day, so there's another variable. I had an eye witness watching my foot, so I know I wasn't doing anything wrong haha.

But at this point, I think the dealer will just tell me they can't reproduce it. I went ahead and switched to the amsoil and will report back on if it happens again. There's also 0 play in my clutch, maybe even not enough.
You need to have some free play in the pedal at rest.
Sponsored