• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Shift Knob installation on FL5R

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
If the shift boot does not come down, try holding the gear knob and turn counter clockwise.

This will free up the factory gearknob with the locking nut.

Worked a treat for the facelift FK8 and the FL5 I’ve got!

2BD50FD6-F6B8-4EB4-AF79-5286680BA93B.jpeg
Where did you get that interior panel?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Vtak Groceries

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
Found a new video on installation. This definitely mimics my concerns and provides a solution. Well done to this guy!

captainscott60

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
I am getting the OEM red Leather shift Knob for a $162 bucks From College Hills Honda. The Honda dealership will charge me $12 labor to change it. Going to let them do it for so little!!!! If they brake something? It’s on them. The price of a few White Castle! Who cares.
regards

Daycork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
I can concur it was an absolute pain in the ass to remove. I ended up twisting the knob off and then getting the boot to pop down that way. Never had this issue on the fk8. The shift lever is also curved at the bottom and not straight like the fk8 so it took some different screw hardware with my raceseng knob and collar to get it to fit.
F96AE8BC-CF40-4EEB-A0D7-21E6AC7CEE9E.jpeg
This is the only place I've seen on the web so far with a Raceseng knob and boot collar on an FL5.

You mention that you needed additional hardware for the install? What else did you need? I've already received my parts from Raceseng but haven't had the time to install it yet, just want to make sure I have everything I need before I get started.

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R - SGP
I went to Home Depot and got a few longer Allen screws (Philips would work too) that go on top of the adapter. The one that comes with raceseng is too short. The idea is the longer screws pushes the knob higher which allow the collar to get around the the curved lever.

I can’t give you a size because I honestly don’t remember. I just took that stock Allen screw out of the adapter and Into the store with me and got a few longer screws. Each one little longer than the others. Hope that helps.

This is the only place I've seen on the web so far with a Raceseng knob and boot collar on an FL5.

You mention that you needed additional hardware for the install? What else did you need? I've already received my parts from Raceseng but haven't had the time to install it yet, just want to make sure I have everything I need before I get started.

Daycork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
I went to Home Depot and got a few longer Allen screws (Philips would work too) that go on top of the adapter. The one that comes with raceseng is too short. The idea is the longer screws pushes the knob higher which allow the collar to get around the the curved lever.

I can’t give you a size because I honestly don’t remember. I just took that stock Allen screw out of the adapter and Into the store with me and got a few longer screws. Each one little longer than the others. Hope that helps.
I appreciate the quick reply, definitely helps out. Looks like I'll make a stop by the Depot tomorrow!

Daycork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
No problem. Lowes would work as well. Just whatever is closer. Hit me up if you have any questions.
Once again, thanks for the help. I saw what you meant by the curved lever blocking the boot collar. Got a slightly longer screw and fixed the problem.

So here's the final product

11th Gen Honda Civic Shift Knob installation on FL5R PXL_20230328_205345011

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R - SGP
Hell ya! Glad it made sense I love that knob too. Had it on my previous fk8. I almost bought it again but went with stratose.

Once again, thanks for the help. I saw what you meant by the curved lever blocking the boot collar. Got a slightly longer screw and fixed the problem.

So here's the final product

PXL_20230328_205345011.jpg

Oneday

First Name
Florencio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rallye Red CTR

I'm having this exact same issue with the screw that goes atop the adaptor. I'll be heading out in the am to Home Depot to find that Allen screw. Hopefully I can find the sizes I need, and finally get this Raceseng Shift Knob installed. Thanks for handing out the info!

11th Gen Honda Civic Shift Knob installation on FL5R IMG_3083

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R - SGP
No problem. It can be a regular Phillips screw. Doesn’t have to be Allen. Take the one in the adapter inside the store and just get a few different lengths. That way you’re not going back and forth.

I'm having this exact same issue with the screw that goes atop the adaptor. I'll be heading out in the am to Home Depot to find that Allen screw. Hopefully I can find the sizes I need, and finally get this Raceseng Shift Knob installed. Thanks for handing out the info!

IMG_3083.jpeg

Oneday

First Name
Florencio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rallye Red CTR
No problem. It can be a regular Phillips screw. Doesn’t have to be Allen. Take the one in the adapter inside the store and just get a few different lengths. That way you’re not going back and forth.

Finally got this mod completed for my fl5, thanks to all the info and videos provided by elusiveaura and others in this thread. I just wanted to piggyback on what you've said about the install, and give a more in-depth description of my own experience installing the Raceseng shift knob with the threaded adapter. I'll try to give as much detail as possible. It was a two day long project, while running around from Home Depot(which closed 1 minute before I got there that night lol), on to Home Depot again the next morning, only to find they didn't have the correct metric screws that I needed. I was then off to Lowes after that, and they finally had the right size screws to get the work done. I chose to keep the stock collar as I felt that it gave it a more retro look, similar to the leather shift knobs from 80's Sports cars, like the Toyota Supras back in the day. Just my preference.
11th Gen Honda Civic Shift Knob installation on FL5R IMG_3077

11th Gen Honda Civic Shift Knob installation on FL5R IMG_3082

1. For those unfortunate enough to not be able to push the boot collar down(like my situation), you'll have to pry open the gray/silver console cover off with plastic tools to keep the part from being damaged. Next you'll cut off the white low profile zip tie holding the leather shift boot to the collar. Make sure to purchase a "low profile" similar sized zip tie, as the regular ones create a noticeable lump at the collar once you re-zip the boot to the collar. I had to do this all over again because of that issue. You can get them at O'Reilly's, or other automotive parts suppliers.
11th Gen Honda Civic Shift Knob installation on FL5R IMG_3087

2. At this point, you will have complete access to the collar. I may have over complicated this part of the process, but I had to loosen it with a small Allen tool that I heated on an open flame, bent the very tip of it, and pried the collar coupler open to get it loosened and it slid down. I recommend setting the collar retention screw that requires a 14mm wrench to its lowest point, so as to have the shortest height for the aftermarket shift knob.

11th Gen Honda Civic Shift Knob installation on FL5R IMG_3099

11th Gen Honda Civic Shift Knob installation on FL5R IMG_3106

3. After getting a small assortment of machined screws from Lowes(I love that place lol), and testing which length screw worked best for my application. I chose a M6-1.00 X 30 Flat Head machined Metric screw, it's a quality item. It was perfect for the height that I wanted, while still keeping the stock collar snug without unnecessary pressure on the plastic piece.
11th Gen Honda Civic Shift Knob installation on FL5R IMG_3120

4. Finally, do yourself a favor and mark the top of the screw for reference, it'll help greatly in making the final adjustment to get the shift knob tight and lined up correctly. I set the screw to stick out by 1.5mm from the threaded adapter to the top of the screw. My OCD wouldn't let me do it any other way. lol
11th Gen Honda Civic Shift Knob installation on FL5R IMG_3163

11th Gen Honda Civic Shift Knob installation on FL5R IMG_3168

I love the look and feel of the Raceseng shift knob! Quality product, with a nicely machined top surface, and retro perforated leather styling.
11th Gen Honda Civic Shift Knob installation on FL5R IMG_3175

11th Gen Honda Civic Shift Knob installation on FL5R IMG_3174

11th Gen Honda Civic Shift Knob installation on FL5R IMG_3197

Hope this helps
Sponsored