• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Shift Knob installation on FL5R

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
Y'all need to ditch that cheap OEM boot! It's one of the few bits of the car where I scratch my head, like come on Honda you can't give us a decent looking one instead of this $2 vinyl jobbie?

GM1777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Do you know the Honda p/n for the Alcantara shift boot? Believe it would look nice matching the Alcantara steering wheel. Thanks.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Do you know the Honda p/n for the Alcantara shift boot? Believe it would look nice matching the Alcantara steering wheel. Thanks.
83443-T60-J21ZA

From my research, Black Hawk is the cheapest place to get it with shipping--mine came yesterday after a ~3-week wait.

Laznz

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5, kodiaq(wifes),Santa Fe(work)
Y'all need to ditch that cheap OEM boot! It's one of the few bits of the car where I scratch my head, like come on Honda you can't give us a decent looking one instead of this $2 vinyl jobbie?
Yep, I'm not a fan of the leather wheel and boot you guys have in the states. The setup we get in NZ looks a lot nicer.

GM1777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Thanks RUNN1N. Believe the rub here in the states is for some reason Honda doesn't provide this as an accessory option... unlike the steering wheel.

Looks like Black Hawk is Japan, haven't ordered from them but will check it out. Hopefully it's fully interchangeable with stock smooth one here in the states.

GM1777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
For those interested, Black Hawk website shows $60. Plus $19 shipping to WA state.

Bonito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Thanks RUNN1N. Believe the rub here in the states is for some reason Honda doesn't provide this as an accessory option... unlike the steering wheel.

Looks like Black Hawk is Japan, haven't ordered from them but will check it out. Hopefully it's fully interchangeable with stock smooth one here in the states.

From what I remember the Japanese alcantara boot assembly takes some modding because it is set up for right side drive and the boot assembly is not symmetrical. Definitely something you can use, but you have to do some light modding.

EDIT: This applies to buying the whole assembly. If that Black Hawk listing is JUST for the boot material itself, you should be fine.

GM1777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Thanks Bonito, guess I'll wait and see what shows up, hopefully it's a one for one fully interchangeable boot. If not, maybe that's why it's not offered here in the states to go along with the steering wheel which is.

spectre186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Camry, 23 Civic Type R
Thanks Bonito, guess I'll wait and see what shows up, hopefully it's a one for one fully interchangeable boot. If not, maybe that's why it's not offered here in the states to go along with the steering wheel which is.
Please post here. I’m definitely interested in an alcantara boot!

Bazgab

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
Agreed, the NA OEM boot is an eyesore. IMO the center dash "aluminum" cover is also not great looking. At least there are good options, either JDM or aftermarket like Overland Designs.

11th Gen Honda Civic Shift Knob installation on FL5R IMG20231116082232

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R

The alcantara boot (at least the one from Black Hawk) comes stapled to the assembly frame, so you'll need to remove 12 staples, take the alcantara boot off of the frame, then remove the 12 staples holding the vinyl boot on the OEM frame, and then re-staple the alcantara boot to your OEM frame. One frame that would work for both LHD and RHD models seems a little more logical to me, but oh well.

@spectre186 , just so you know what to expect. ^^

Turbonium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93' EG B18C
Looking good! I'm running the same knob (ordered from Nengun) and I love it. On occasion I get tempted to run an Acuity Poco because I think it'd be even shorter but the Mugen feels so nice!
I'm assuming you used the stock collar boot, looks nice. Looks really short too, do you have a short shifter or is that stock?

Bonito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I'm assuming you used the stock collar boot, looks nice. Looks really short too, do you have a short shifter or is that stock?
Overland alcantara boot with an Acuity collar. I had to use electrical tape to make the boot and collar work without bunching as I got it before we all realized that the Acuity collar doesn’t match Overland’s cut for the opening size.

No short shifter, but the Mugen knob sits much lower than stock so my throws feel shorter. At some point I’ll try the Poco to make it feel even shorter.

Turbonium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93' EG B18C
Overland alcantara boot with an Acuity collar. I had to use electrical tape to make the boot and collar work without bunching as I got it before we all realized that the Acuity collar doesn’t match Overland’s cut for the opening size.

No short shifter, but the Mugen knob sits much lower than stock so my throws feel shorter. At some point I’ll try the Poco to make it feel even shorter.
Can you link to the acuity collar? I dig your setup in that lighting.
Sponsored