• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Z3N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 FK8 CTR
Doesn't have to be anything crazy, but a bit more sound to match the aesthetic of a hot hatch is appreciated. 😎
The Mk8 stock exhaust sounds great imo:
skip to 1:13
Sponsored

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback sport
Welp no suprises here. Exhaust sounds identical to the last 2 K20C1 powered CTRs.

Z3N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 FK8 CTR
When I'm driving my fk8 hard and staying above 4k, the sound has always dented the overall feel of the driving experience when it never should have, you know? Most if not all things about the Type R as a driving experience are pretty damn spot on, so I can't help but be disappointed by the lackluster exhaust note...

Honda did a bang up job on the re-design overall, and I'm overall happy and excited, but they missed the home-run by forcing aftermarket solutions when they shouldn't have needed to.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
I'll be happy with no fake noise. I'll do my best to figure the rest out.

Z3N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 FK8 CTR
Absolutely, no fake noise piped in Honda - enthusiasts don't like it. Real or nothing.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
isn't it wired in to the stereo or have a separate speaker like the GR86? Anyone know? it should be the same as in the Si currently. You can toggle the engine sound in the menu but I would think its also tied to the exhaust flap.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
I'll be in the minority here with the stock exhaust. Personally, I'm glad they didn't resort to burbles and pops to try to make it sound more exciting.

Send me your hate mail :catfight:
A few years ago I'd have said that sounds rubbish, but now I think I can appreciate the "quiet performance" approach, especially given the number of anti-social VAG cars around with crackle maps and decats.
Same here. I had my modded exhaust phase. I'd be perfectly happy getting a car that doesn't burble and buzz when I'm just toodling to the grocery store. It's easy to get an exhaust that's silly-loud, but no aftermarket brand sells quiet exhausts, right? Good thing we have a factory option that sounds smooth.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
Same here. I had my modded exhaust phase. I'd be perfectly happy getting a car that doesn't burble and buzz when I'm just toodling to the grocery store. It's easy to get an exhaust that's silly-loud, but no aftermarket brand sells quiet exhausts, right? Good thing we have a factory option that sounds smooth.
The Spoon catback I've heard on other Type R's sounds great. Still civil and surprisingly quiet compared to others.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
The Spoon catback I've heard on other Type R's sounds great. Still civil and surprisingly quiet compared to others.
I think you should really give a catted downpipe and resonator delete a try before a expensive exhaust. It really opens up the exhaust with out being obnoxious and actually gains power.

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Got, was thinking hp/tq gains. I think the one and only mod id do is potentially a catback but would love to get 10-20 hp out of it in addition to the added growl.
You don't get any noticeable gains from doing a catback exhaust. If you want sound and HP, your options are headers, or a downpipe. With the CTR engine the headers are integrated so you can only do a downpipe. The whole +10 hp claim from getting an exhaust is all marketing

Shiba Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Different engine, so take what you want from it if anything at all, but I still found it interesting nonetheless.

TL;DR: On a stock ECU, cat back exhaust showed no difference on the dyno. Full exhaust system showed roughly 8-12 HP difference.

sackofcheese

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic SI, 1994 Miata (track toy)
isn't it wired in to the stereo or have a separate speaker like the GR86? Anyone know? it should be the same as in the Si currently. You can toggle the engine sound in the menu but I would think its also tied to the exhaust flap.
Its removable like the 10th gen, the 86 and the MK7s. Just a bit of a pain to get at unlike the Soundaktor. I'm also not sure if you can code it away easily like in the VWs. I just coded mine off on my MK7 instead of pulling the unit out.

Reactions: Z3N

Z3N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 FK8 CTR
Different engine, so take what you want from it if anything at all, but I still found it interesting nonetheless.

TL;DR: On a stock ECU, cat back exhaust showed no difference on the dyno. Full exhaust system showed roughly 8-12 HP difference.

Gotta have a proper ecu tune to net gains from an exhaust 👍

Robert.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC2-R
The EA888 in my wife’s GTI doesn’t sound half bad. Dare I say, better than the K20C1, in fact. Sadly, I’m resigned to the fact that the halcyon days of 8,000+ rpm all-motor VTEC engines is over.

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback sport
HKS legamax for the FK8 is very quiet and only gets loudish at higher RPM. And by Loudish I mean like 5DB louder than stock lol.
Sponsored