• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

"The Search".. not what i expected.

Bbfl5

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fl5 type r
But that would make Clark Kent look like a passive aggressive narcissistic asshole. And he probably isn't like that IRL lmfao 🤣
Sponsored

OP
OP
dminus

dminus

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity
A friend of mine bought his 2004 NSX in FL and drove it home to CA. It was his dream car and the drive home was all part of the experience. To each their own, but putting “restrictions” on a deal could also cause you to miss out on a fun experience with the car and memories. But if you think you’ll sell the car in a few years, well, that’s a bit different. My friend will never sell his NSX.
i won't be selling my civic type R. this is my nsx. this is my dream car. ever since my days in the 1999 electron blue pearl civic si.. the type R was always a car i wanted to keep. so i hear what you're saying about the experience. it sounds like a great memory to have. thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
dminus

dminus

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity
I feel this and if I were to get another new car anytime soon, I’d definitely be less willing to “pay-to-play.” I paid a reasonable markup (Feb 2023 when I got mine) because I really wanted the car AND the last time I bought a car that was just for me (not a vehicle for my wife/family) was 2009. I was definitely due for an update / upgrade and I had the cash, so it was a done deal in my mind.

Stick to your guns and keep looking and calling around! You’ll find the right car and you’ll be happy you put in the work to find it. It’ll pay off. More cars are consistently coming and I think the momentum is in your favor. You just have to keep searching and look beyond the west side of the Rockies.
i'm glad i'm not alone in the i've paid enough to play boat. hahaha. congrats on your purchase! very happy for you. and yeah, 2009, you definitely deserved it! thanks for the good advice. i will stick to my guns and i can't wait to be in the position you're in, in the near future.

OP
OP
dminus

dminus

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity
I bought one in OK and had it shipped for $1,200. This was three months ago and I still haven't been able to find one for less than $5K over in Oregon.

If you want one now, I think out of state is the move.
i'm starting to see that this is the case. i'm going to call santa barbara, try to extinguish a few more dealerships from around here and then i'll start my out of state search. thanks for the information and advice!

OP
OP
dminus

dminus

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity
Apparently you were never thought about what assuming makes you.
Here is more facts lol
Was on vacation in Florida. Never did business with the dealership.
Seen the car got the data I needed and negotiate what I wanted.
It's really not a hard concept.
And in truth I wouldn't reach out to anyone in my network for a sub 50k vehicle. I'd just cut the check.
Didn't want to say that because it's irrelevant to the subject.
i hope ya'll stop arguing. all advice is welcome. i filter thru the advice i get anyways. it would be a bad idea to just take all advice and apply all of it at once, hahaha! i really appreciate everyone giving me their bit and it really does help me out in ..... the search. thanks again and yeah, lets be more understanding for each other!

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
The Search is Over

'I was living for a dream, driving for the moment,
Chasing all the deals, that was just my style,
Now I look into your adds, I can see right through you,
The search is over, you were gouging all the while'

-with apologies to Survivor

rob495

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2012 Ariel Atom
i love this! i don't think closing one day on the weekend with a emergency sign is a bad idea at all, hahahah! 4k a year ago is also a very good deal considering i've heard the dreaded 20k over a year ago. i don't have a trade, and i'll make sure to have all my finances in order and be ready to go! thanks for your advice and suggestion!
If you do go out of state post some pics. I would put a layer of painters tape on any impact areas (front facia, front of the roof, A pillars, in front and behind the front and rear wheel wells. I would then take duct tape and cover the painters tape. Painter's tape for ease of removal, duct tape for protection.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
If you do go out of state post some pics. I would put a layer of painters tape on any impact areas (front facia, front of the roof, A pillars, in front and behind the front and rear wheel wells. I would then take duct tape and cover the painters tape. Painter's tape for ease of removal, duct tape for protection.
I agree there are measures I recommend taking if you ship the car. If you get there, let me know, happy to provide some recommendations.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Maybe buy out of state, fly there and drive your car back...make a road trip out of it...?
depending on the route, could be fun...and would help get your Type R broken in that much sooner..
...the cost of shipping will probably cover gas, hotels and meals.

niji5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evo X, GR86
Another SoCal native here. I was shopping for one from Nov 22 to Sept 23. Finally found one for around 3.8k over locally in sept 23 for cw. If I had waited 3 more months, I could have bought one out of state for msrp. Transport costs would have been $1200-1500 range so could have saved around 2k which tbh it’s worth it just out of principal.

If I were in the market now, I wouldn’t hesitate to work with a dealer like the hhkb bought from. I’d rather pay a trucking company than give SoCal dealers my business. Anyways, it’s probably worth trying to negotiate with a few dealers in person but SoCal is SoCal. Even pre pandemic msrp deals on the fk8 was almost unheard of.

I went to Woodland Hills Keyes Honda back in July and the sales manager was proud that some couple leased a SGP fl5 with a $1300 a mo payment. SoCal has just too many financially brain dead people with 0 impulse control, as long as 1-2 of them will somehow make a deal happen for a dumb adm it’ll keep the dealers here patient.

Bbfl5

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fl5 type r
The people paying 5k etc are you financing your cars or just cutting a check?

OP
OP
dminus

dminus

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity
Another SoCal native here. I was shopping for one from Nov 22 to Sept 23. Finally found one for around 3.8k over locally in sept 23 for cw. If I had waited 3 more months, I could have bought one out of state for msrp. Transport costs would have been $1200-1500 range so could have saved around 2k which tbh it’s worth it just out of principal.

If I were in the market now, I wouldn’t hesitate to work with a dealer like the hhkb bought from. I’d rather pay a trucking company than give SoCal dealers my business. Anyways, it’s probably worth trying to negotiate with a few dealers in person but SoCal is SoCal. Even pre pandemic msrp deals on the fk8 was almost unheard of.

I went to Woodland Hills Keyes Honda back in July and the sales manager was proud that some couple leased a SGP fl5 with a $1300 a mo payment. SoCal has just too many financially brain dead people with 0 impulse control, as long as 1-2 of them will somehow make a deal happen for a dumb adm it’ll keep the dealers here patient.
brain dead people, puahahhaha!! either that or they have a lot of money. good for them!! but for the rest of us people, we really do care about the principal behind it. agreed! thanks for your insight.

OP
OP
dminus

dminus

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity
The people paying 5k etc are you financing your cars or just cutting a check?
i have a 15k down payment. and although i am financing, i plan to pay it off within the first year. i hate interest, hahaha
Sponsored