• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Trade 718 GT4 for FL5? (There is a reason for the madness...)

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
But if you want a manual transmission, your only $100K+ vehicle is CT5 V Blackwing (CT4 V Blackwing for slightly $100K). But then you have the M3/4 in the mid-tier and then everything else you mentioned in the "more affordable" bucket.

Sidenote: I drove a Taycan for a bit and it is a hoot, but I dont know if I will get bored of it quickly due to lack of noise.

X5 has to stay because of the wife :(
GT4 vs GT3?
Either one will get the valet to come running. Or an invite to Cars and Coffee. But the GT3 maybe a tad more so. Nice problem to have. Not jealous, happy for you, just sad you can't keep both.
The fact you only get to drive them on weekends makes it that much more important that the car really speaks to you. Money is valuable - time is priceless.
As is keeping your spouse happy. 30 years of marriage behind that statement. My CTR does not keep me warm at night.
Which is why that Lexus is not going anywhere, even though I would happily trade that convertible coupe for an Elise, a Boxster S, etc.
On the upside, you will enjoy learning to be one with your FL5. It took me some time to be able to extract the best from my Type R, but it was time well spent. Still learning. At least if I miss my apex, or mistime the downshift, braking, or steering the car doesn't swap ends or otherwise try to kill me. I won't be spinning it like I did some past sports cars. Or the kart at the Bondurant track.
That is the tradeoff for not having a drift machine. Fair enough.
But driven correctly it is a scalpel, and yes it will turn in and rotate nicely, and give you a great corner exit, you just have to learn new techniques versus the Porsches. So you get to improve even if you are already a competent driver.
Sponsored

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
I'm here to offer zero meaningful advice. The tough decision I'm facing right now is figuring out how many 'drool' emojis I want to use when saying that your GT4 is a f**king beautiful machine!!!

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool: (That's probably enough)

OP
OP

JCZ5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
718 GT4, 992 Targa 4 GTS
Thank you everyone for your feedback so far!

There was one SG FL5 I was suppose to check out last week, however, the dealer called and said someone placed a deposit, so didn't bother going. The next one will come in a few weeks and will be in CW, which is my preferred color anyways.

However, the direction I am leaning towards is keeping the GT4 for the foreseeable future. As some of you have mentioned, I don't have kids yet, who knows what the future needs are. And also who knows what special editions or updates that have to the FL5 in the next couple of years.

In the meantime, I do have all-seasons on my GT4, so it will be my winter "daily"

tingli107

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STI, GT4
Thank you everyone for your feedback so far!

There was one SG FL5 I was suppose to check out last week, however, the dealer called and said someone placed a deposit, so didn't bother going. The next one will come in a few weeks and will be in CW, which is my preferred color anyways.

However, the direction I am leaning towards is keeping the GT4 for the foreseeable future. As some of you have mentioned, I don't have kids yet, who knows what the future needs are. And also who knows what special editions or updates that have to the FL5 in the next couple of years.

In the meantime, I do have all-seasons on my GT4, so it will be my winter "daily"
Major props for using your GT4 as a daily. Dang let use know how your winter daily use goes. I'm too scared to drive my GT4 namely cause its still on cup tires but cause there's like no ground clearance at all.

I've been entertaining the idea of getting a 996/997/991.1 Carrera 4/4S with lifted and snow tires for winter daily.

OP
OP

JCZ5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
718 GT4, 992 Targa 4 GTS
Major props for using your GT4 as a daily. Dang let use know how your winter daily use goes. I'm too scared to drive my GT4 namely cause its still on cup tires but cause there's like no ground clearance at all.

I've been entertaining the idea of getting a 996/997/991.1 Carrera 4/4S with lifted and snow tires for winter daily.
Eh don't be too impressed...I drive mostly on the weekends as i don't have a daily commute. When I first got the car 2 years ago, i drove it through snow, slush, etc without a problem. People worry about ground clearance, unless you get deep snow, most people are ok.

My only regret was getting crappy Bridgestone R/E all-seasons. During that time, those were the only ones available and I rather just use this set before getting a new set.

One driver of me considering the FL5 was actually for my winter usage. Seems like a great car to do snow, slush, inclement weather with ease!

tingli107

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STI, GT4
With the proper tires the FL5 will be fine but not that great or fun in the snow. I've driven my old Focus ST with Michelin Ice X and it was just miserable to drive in the winter/snow. Now my STI is a completely different story that car destroys snow with ease and is a ton of fun.

I finally had the opportunity to test drive a GR Corolla circuit edition last night, I was not impressed with the steering feel, sound wasn't great, engine didn't feel particularly fast but would definitely shine in snow, slush, inclement weather.

Maybe you should get an s209, you'll get something that would be amazing in the snow, great daily, practicality and feels just as connected and involving as your GT3/GT4. Sure the EJ25 isnt perfect but fairly reliable stock and dirt cheap to replace the engine anyways. Huge aftermarket too.