• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Is there anything strange about the used FL5 CTR market?

holland1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma
There may be a couple hundred used for sale but I doubt any need to be sold. Classified section and FB is free, CL and cargurus is around 5 bucks to list. Mines been "for sale" for months. Ever since carmax/vroom have been paying crazy amounts there's really no way to buy a car at a great price. If someone needs a quick sale they just go get a no hassle transaction. I refuse to drive in to get a quote, they claim the type r is to rare to give you one over the net. I've been watching tundras and the pass few years carmax was paying top dollar but they are definitely coming down. Ex 2018 mint cummins w/ 66k miles seller asking 48k, original sticker was 55k so probably paid 45k back in 2018. Put that info into carmax and they'll give 27k today. A year or 2 ago probably mid 40s.
Sponsored

tingli107

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STI, GT4
I think it's a combination of impulse buys, fomo mentality, and unrealistic expectations. Then the high interest rates and realization that you may not be able to afford it. Finally the ability to dump it for relatively low loss depending on how much ADM you paid in the first place since most dealers are still offering top dollars, but then you lose on TTL unless you are trading it in for a new vehicle.

I'm sure the car dealers have no idea how to handle this current volatility in the market. I see cars listed for literally unbelievable prices and think it's still peak covid pricing. If your a dealership and your not selling cars your losing money after all except for a very few cars are a depreciating asset.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rs3, S3
Is there gonna be a 2025 CTR also that gets the front end refresh and such?

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Is there gonna be a 2025 CTR also that gets the front end refresh and such?
If someone knew this, pictures would be all over the internet and there would be at least 4 threads on this forum about it.

Some people buy model airplanes as a hobby. Some buy performance cars. When you make so much money that you don’t have to think about it, there’s no difference between these two hobbies. It’s not a sandbox I play in, but it’s not hard to understand when you know someone who does and you see their lifestyle.
No, not the same thing. It's not like I don't understand the want to own a bunch of cars. That's a very basic concept I'm sure everyone on this board can relate to.

Do "people who buy model airplanes" pay dealer fees and possible "market adjustments", and trade in their old ones at a loss every time? What you're talking about sounds like "collecting". I don't think the people in this thread talking about "going through 6-7 cars a year" or whatever are collecting them. I'm not worried about collectors; more power to them. If I had the money I'd collect a shitload of cars too. I'm worried about the serial car whores who can only afford "a small volume" of cars at a time, of which I certainly qualified. It was dumb as hell and I lost a shitload of money, I'm allowed to voice my opinions on the matter even though I realize I'm shouting into the void.

It's just stupid and doesn't help any of us, especially with multiple threads dedicated to crying about ADMs. If someone is ultra-rich and "can afford it", it's still nonsensical to throw money away like that, you'll never convince me otherwise because I've been that guy, and somehow pulled my head out of my ass and hopefully broke the cycle through self-awareness (and an amazing car available at a very appeasing price point relative to past purchases).

Could have literally lit $50k on fire and have the same value extracted from it than owning 12 cars in 4 years- and at least I wouldn't have fed the dealer greed machine and collectively helped us all suffer more as a result. I guess I had to go through it but I call it a mental health issue, not "a lifestyle".

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Geesh @optronix. I never expected such an aggressive response especially as I wasn’t talking about anyone (here) specifically. My only point is that, truly, money is of zero object to some. Maybe the money radar is blipped when looking to purchase something like a mega yacht. How they choose to spend and loose money is besides the point…though I agree this egregious spending cycle doesn’t help the ADM situation for the rest of us.

Last edited:

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Geesh @optronix. I never expected such an aggressive response especially as I wasn’t talking about anyone (here) specifically. My only point is that, truly, money is of zero object to some. Maybe the money radar is blipped when looking to purchase something like a mega yacht. How they choose to spend and loose money is besides the point…though I agree this egregious spending cycle doesn’t help the ADM situation for the rest of us.
You did touch a nerve, I'm not going to try to deny that. I wasn't kidding. I lost over $50k in a 3-4 year span because I went through 12 cars (some of which were for the kids/wife but still, that's far too many). Fortunately it didn't ruin me financially but over time I just started feeling ridiculous as the losses continued to pile up and the "thrill of the hunt" looking for the next car went away. Instead of making excuses (like I used to) or letting my wife enable me, I choose to acknowledge it was stupid.

Not only do I have regrets, but seeing how dealers are behaving I realize damage was done, and I don't care to repeat my past mistakes. It does irk me to see others gleefully chiming in how they enjoy cycling through cars. You can't convince me anyone does this because it's "fun"; I believe psychologists call it Destination Anxiety (or Addiction). It's a problem and I encourage people who do this to seek out whatever else is missing in their lives.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rs3, S3
alright, to me now it's clear there's something strange going on.

Autotrader shows 875!!! CTR FL5's nationwide used and new for sale. I scrolled through the pages, they are indeed type R's... it doesn't look like they are reposts..but maybe there's a glitch here somehow.

Autorader.

These dealers are gonna have to back off their mark ups.. im gonna snatch one soon now.

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
Fun facts
Autotrader also lists new and used:
450 GR corollas nationwide
3,933 Corvettes from 2023 to 2024 nationwide
532 BRZ and GR86 nationwide from 2023 to 2024

pawnstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR

Autotrader shows 875!!! CTR FL5's nationwide used and new for sale. I scrolled through the pages, they are indeed type R's... it doesn't look like they are reposts..but maybe there's a glitch here somehow.

Autorader.

These dealers are gonna have to back off their mark ups.. im gonna snatch one soon now.

There's been multiple shipments to the US. Last time I looked theres about 1600 in-transit or on site at dealers for MY '24

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R

Autorader.

There's nothing strange going on. It's basic economics. What you're seeing is an outgrowth of supply and demand. There are simply more FL5s being produced and shipped to North America in the last few months than this time last year. The demand has also slowed a bit for several reasons. Many who absolutely wanted this car already have purchased one, the price point has increased, and borrowing costs are higher.

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
Note - in retail marketing, in order to cover every significant metro area with a presence, a typical number is 800. Lately, Honda had doubled that -- with around 1600 at the beginning of February. Right now, we're all the way back down to around 1100, so the cars are moving.

Frankly, considering what's been happening with manual transmissions, i'm surprised there are that many people who can/are willing to drive stick. I figured we'd have started to hit a wall by now. So, i guess that should be a consideration also as to why some people have given up their FL5s -- if they don't like having to deal with the clutch and shifting. While the MT was the main attraction for me...i realize it was something many people "put up with" just to be able to own and drive the hottest car of the last couple of years. If they aren't into stick cars, they may have wanted to move on. It also may be impacting why the used versions take so long to sell.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
@1971Camaro I think most buyers are return customers looking to upgrade, are enthusiasts who have driven stick for years and just want a new ride, or are younger enthusiasts who grew up around dad’s/mom’s fun JDM gems.

Used CTR’s aren’t selling fast because used car prices are (generally) still quite high and financing is also not great…particularly for the younger crowd who haven’t built a lot of credit history. As an example of pricing, folks are paying nearly new car prices for used, lower mileage, FK8’s…and they’re still considered solid buys despite the cost. Pre-pandemic, used cars almost always carried a price tag well below MSRP…and negotiating a lower price was easy. I’m sure you remember those days. :) It’s just not the case anymore, not with highly desirable enthusiast cars anyway.

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
@1971Camaro I think most buyers are return customers looking to upgrade, are enthusiasts who have driven stick for years and just want a new ride, or are younger enthusiasts who grew up around dad’s/mom’s fun JDM gems.

Used CTR’s aren’t selling fast because used car prices are (generally) still quite high and financing is also not great…particularly for the younger crowd who haven’t built a lot of credit history. As an example of pricing, folks are paying nearly new car prices for used, lower mileage, FK8’s…and they’re still considered solid buys despite the cost. Pre-pandemic, used cars almost always carried a price tag well below MSRP…and negotiating a lower price was easy. I’m sure you remember those days. :) It’s just not the case anymore, not with highly desirable enthusiast cars anyway.

you are right, of course, plus so many people are now upside-down on their loans, so it's much harder to swap out to a new car lately. I just think the MT issue is still a factor. :thumbsup:

SP R KiD

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BB CTR, 2022 Honda CRV, 2022 Ford F150
You did touch a nerve, I'm not going to try to deny that. I wasn't kidding. I lost over $50k in a 3-4 year span because I went through 12 cars (some of which were for the kids/wife but still, that's far too many). Fortunately it didn't ruin me financially but over time I just started feeling ridiculous as the losses continued to pile up and the "thrill of the hunt" looking for the next car went away. Instead of making excuses (like I used to) or letting my wife enable me, I choose to acknowledge it was stupid.

Not only do I have regrets, but seeing how dealers are behaving I realize damage was done, and I don't care to repeat my past mistakes. It does irk me to see others gleefully chiming in how they enjoy cycling through cars. You can't convince me anyone does this because it's "fun"; I believe psychologists call it Destination Anxiety (or Addiction). It's a problem and I encourage people who do this to seek out whatever else is missing in their lives.
I couldn't begin to understand why some people are willing to cycle through cars and waste money like that lol. I'd go crazy stressing about selling it...just to buy another car.

I'm good man. I've waited patiently and saved responsibly for 7 years. Going through life, working while going to college full time. Graduated and finally got in a spot to buy a performance car I loved within my price range. Bought my FL5 in December 2022 and haven't thought about selling it at all. I love the car, it's fun, looks great, and I know it'll be reliable for what I want to do. I know the potential it has. I have literally no reason or desire to go look at other vars. I do appreciate other cars and admire them for a distance, but don't have any desire for another.

Someday I'd like to own a Porsche 911, but selling my CTR isn't going to make that happen 🤣

Truthfully I think most people have kept theirs. We gotta remember the thousands that are out there. So when you say some few hundred used ones are out there, when you put it into perspective it's really not a whole lot.
Sponsored