• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Is there anything strange about the used FL5 CTR market?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rs3, S3
Can I get your opinions on whether there's anything unusual about the FL5 CTR used market right now?

I ask because as I check it all the time I notice that there seems to always be about 90-100 used FL5 CTR's nationwide, and yet the cars sell like hot cakes drizzled with cocaine at dealerships, sometimes with pretty extreme dealer markup..

So you have a car that gets gobbled up new real fast, but even with such a limited amount for sale new there's quite a few for sale used... That's the part that I think is strange that I have not seen with other cars. Because these are only 2022 and 2023's, yet there are so many for sale used in proportion to totals sold...I would figure there'd be less for sale as people hold on to their precious babies. Is this an example of over hype and people just in a frenzy to buy it, then selling it later because they couldn't afford it in the first place? or is it evidence that the market is about to cool down a lot, because there's 90+ for sale and they are all still asking above msrp. I 'm sorry it's so long and redundant, but I can't put my finger on it exactly, but it seems strange to me.
Sponsored

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000, Nissan Skyline R33 GTR
In the UK, there are quite a few nearly new examples selling for under list price, and rumours dealers are struggling to shift new allocations.

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
Very common for enthusiast cars. I remember within the first year of owning my Shelby GT350 there were 100ā€™s for sale in the used market, typically at a price of a nearly new car. Same with the new GR86 and BRZ, very difficult to get a manual trans car from a dealer but a 100 or so in the used market.
Some people just need the itch scratched for the cool new thing and then move on. Many people have no regard for money, could be because they are flush with it or they just donā€™t worry about planning for retirement 30 years down the road.

ABPDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
A lot of people stretch to buy these cars.

When you consider the ADMs that were tacked on early ones, current interest rates, and the financial health of the median individual, combined with current wage / compensation vs cost of living trends... I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people got in over their heads.

Even if buying one of these w. ADM was personally feasible for a lot of people at the time, all it takes is one adverse life event, considering the economic climate, and the situation can turn dark quickly.

Fanatic

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Civic Type R and many more...
The fl5 is relatively affordable even with $5k adm compared to other performance vehicles. I think it's too performance focused for some, especially with the track focused ride quality. It's an exciting car to try out and then move past after the excitement wears off, especially as an extra toy vehicle in the household. My opinion.

I can also see people gravitating towards cars such as the Dark Horse Mustang or Porsche vehicles or some exotic luxury vehicles afterwards.

I doubt the vast majority would not be able to afford an fl5 once they have it because there are ways to manage finances and work an extra job if one wants to keep it around bad enough, especially as a sole mode of vehicle transportation.

I've known of a new Nissan Z owner who does Door Dash with his vehicle to make it work and enjoy the vehicle at the same time. https://www.nissanzclub.com/forum/t...z-perf-my-fair-daily-z.1984/page-5#post-68454

Last edited:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen
If anything the used market is even more overpriced than the new. Most folks seem to more willing to overpay for new than used, or be patient and diligent enough to find a new one at MSRP.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
@TDC50 is right on. This is standard fare. People tend to hop in and out of performance cars. Poll members how many cars they've owned in their lifetime and quite a few will tell you 20+. Some individuals also got the opportunity to get in and out of the car at limited to no expense depending on when the car was purchased.

Last edited:

atucker80

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Civic Type R, 2022 Mustang GT CS
@TDC50 is right on. This is stanfard fare. People tend to hop in and out of performance cars. Poll members how many cars they've owned in their lifetime and quite a few will tell you 20+. Some individuals also got the opportunity to get in and out of the car at limited to no expense depending on when the car was purchased.
This is me to the tee. I tend to buy 3-4 cars a year. In some years 5-6 cars. I get bored quick and sell them. Last year I bought the same car twice just in a different color. lol I keep telling my GF this is the one, but its always just the one for now.

Fanatic

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Civic Type R and many more...
This is me to the tee. I tend to buy 3-4 cars a year. In some years 5-6 cars. I get bored quick and sell them. Last year I bought the same car twice just in a different color. lol I keep telling my GF this is the one, but its always just the one for now.
As long as you're not trading in and out of girlfriends...

atucker80

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Civic Type R, 2022 Mustang GT CS
As long as you're not trading in and out of girlfriends...
She's definitely a keeper. When I told her I was buying a lift for the garage to add more parking space her only comment was that we should also do a polyaspartic floor to take it up a notch. I'm not letting her get away!

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rs3, S3
hahah! thank you I guess it is not that unusual then. just seems slightly higher inventory of used given the amount overall being sold, but it makes sense.

TO_FL5_CW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 FL5
@TDC50 is right on. This is standard fare. People tend to hop in and out of performance cars. Poll members how many cars they've owned in their lifetime and quite a few will tell you 20+. Some individuals also got the opportunity to get in and out of the car at limited to no expense depending on when the car was purchased.
I had GRC Circuit edition for 6 weeks (new record out of 15 cars in last 20 years lol).

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
I don't see how people continue to get away with the "multiple cars a year" thing. If you're trading the cars in then you're just stuffing the dealers' pockets with margin. If you're not then you're paying tens of thousands of dollars in sales tax (some states would be both...). Either way is hilariously irresponsible, but whatevs, keep on keeping on.

I did it while I could over the past few years, and in some cases got more in trade value than I paid for the car, not even counting tax savings. At that time I told myself it made sense (it didn't). It all caught up to me though and I lost tens of thousands of dollars. I literally want to kick myself in the ass for that... and I at least didn't pay any ADM. I'd castrate myself if I paid a 5 figure ADM and then traded a car in at a loss below MSRP. I know there are folks out there who did this.

edit- as for where the market's heading, there are tons of variables factoring in that people much, much smarter than I can't make sense of enough to predict so I won't pretend to offer my own prediction, but I think we all should hope that the insanity stops very, very soon. It's actually surprising to me that prices didn't skyrocket for these cars year over year. This is why I'm not a "money guy"; if I was in charge of pricing at Honda I'd bump the price up to at least $60k. People are proving that's what they're willing to pay for it, why let the dealers take that money? Eventually this is going to become the reality, so if you think new car prices are crazy now, just wait a few more years. Unless people JUST STOP BUYING them for the crazy asking prices.

Last edited:

chopsuey34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
I don't see how people continue to get away with the "multiple cars a year" thing. If you're trading the cars in then you're just stuffing the dealers' pockets with margin. If you're not then you're paying tens of thousands of dollars in sales tax (some states would be both...). Either way is hilariously irresponsible, but whatevs, keep on keeping on.
Even if car buyers sell the car for the price they bought at, the non-refundable transaction costs will bleed money out of their pockets, oh god. Sales tax, dealer fees, discretionary mods, insurance premiums to name a few. One could maximize yearly IRA contributions with those alone.

I guess if it floats their boat to sample the latest thing. Cheaper just to rent on Turo for 48 hours or something like that.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Some people buy model airplanes as a hobby. Some buy performance cars. When you make so much money that you donā€™t have to think about it, thereā€™s no difference between these two hobbies. Itā€™s not a sandbox I play in, but itā€™s not hard to understand when you know someone who does and you see their lifestyle.
Sponsored