• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Trade-in my almost new 2018 Si for 2024 Type-R

menikmati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX STI, BRZ, FL5
Why buy a new, semi-limited, car and never drive it…unless you’re a collector? If one just has to have a collectible Type R and one that might make sense not to rack up miles on, get an FK8 LE. If you don’t like yellow, wrap it in another color! Hell…that’d preserve the original paint too. I’m just spitballing here. LOL
I used to be in the camp of minimizing miles put on cars, but that eventually killed any enjoyment out of driving. Once I shifted my mindset to looking at cars as tools for enjoyment and they should be used (within reason, not saying to neglect and trash them), then my joy for driving has been at its peak ever since.
Sponsored

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I used to be in the camp of minimizing miles put on cars, but that eventually killed any enjoyment out of driving. Once I shifted my mindset to looking at cars as tools for enjoyment and they should be used (within reason, not saying to neglect and trash them), then my joy for driving has been at its peak ever since.
Exactly! Nothing wrong with taking care of vehicles. Beyond the cost of home ownership, vehicles are probably the 2nd most expensive thing that many folks may ever purchase. People should take care of their vehicles and it’s weird to me when many don’t. It’s like throwing money away.

Something to add too is that vehicles are not typically assets that appreciate. So buying one and holding it hostage from doing what it is built for is…I dunno…it just doesn’t make sense. Part of owning such a great car should include enjoying it for what it does, not just how it looks sitting in the garage. I think there are better options for that sort of thing.

I’m not saying one has to drive 10k+ miles a year to enjoy their car, but holy smokes! 3000 miles in 5 years?!

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I am a collector of low expense ratio ETFs that follow the S&P 500.

On the flip side, I willingly spend ungodly amounts of money on my hobbies.
That’s the thing. The OP is concerned about losing a few thousand dollars selling or trading his Si to get a CTR. This tells me he doesn’t have that kind of expendable income to lose…but he’s here because YOLO. This lead me to ask : Why buy a YOLO car and not drive it (unless it is a car that is worthwhile NOT to drive too much)? Otherwise…if it is sitting there depreciating anyway, why not YOLO drive it?!🤣

MYK20C1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 type R SGP; 2018 Clarity Touring
Dealer offers MSRP + $6K with $2K worth of add-on for 23 CTR. I have a 2018 civic Si with only 3,000 miles. The car has rarely being drive much since I use another car for work. The car has full front-end protection film (PPF), high-end alarms and exhaust system etc. I spent over $6,000 on parts & labor. If I am going to trade-in my Si, will the dealer lowball me due to my aftermarket parts? Taking everything back to stock will cost about $300-$500 of labor and might not a good idea. If I ended up not able to purchase the CTR, then I would just keep my Si. I don't want to change back to stock if I am going to keep the car longer. Is it a bad idea to trade-in my Si with aftermarket parts? I think selling my Si will help me financially when buying the CTR (since my Si should worth about $27,000). My reason of trade-in is that CTR can keep the car value for long time. I always want to own a CTR as I am at 45. Life is short. What do you guys suggest for the trade-in situation? How many of you agree or disagree?
Trade it as is or keep it!

OP
OP

be12nard

First Name
InvisibleWorld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Civic EXL
No, I didn't go for the CTR. I ended up buying the Civic Hatchback Sport Manual instead under MSRP. Civic Si will stay and not going to sell it. I will not pay markup. A car is just a car. I am not going to do that. It is not something that I must own.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Getting the most for your trade will largely be about the market.

Hard to be in a buyer's and seller's market at the same time.

Hope you continue to enjoy the SI and the Sport manual, both great.
Also hope that eventually you get your Type R, if that is the car you want to drive the wheels off of and keep for the long term.
Sponsored