• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Trade-in my almost new 2018 Si for 2024 Type-R

OP
OP

be12nard

First Name
InvisibleWorld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Civic EXL
I echo what others have said...

• First, you're not going to get $27k for the Si (with or without the mods) but you'll likely get slightly more in trade if you remove them so it looks stock + you can cut some of your losses by selling those items separately. Frankly, trade-in values aren't what they were a year or two ago, so prepare for offers on the lower end of KBB/others.
  • Second, that's not a good price on the Type-R (whether it's $4k in markup + $2k in accessories, or $6k in markup + $2k in accessories), you should shop around. There are plenty of dealerships willing to do less than $5k in markup with no effort at all. If you negotiate well, you can get it down even further.
  • Third, I get the Type-R allure and agree that life is short, but don't try to convince yourself that this is a financially wise decision because the "CTR can keep the car value for long time". Look on BaT. Civic Si's (especially low mileage, single owner, well-cared-for models) hold value quite well, and you've already got one. Your Si may not be quite as fun to drive as a CTR... but let's face it, you're not driving the Si much as-is. Debating which depreciating asset will depreciate better is a waste of time.
Thank you! You are absolutely right.
Sponsored

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Interesting...I traded my original 2017 un-modded SI for a CTR. Was it a brilliant financial decision..?
No. Did it work for me anyway? Yes, because I planned on keeping the CTR for the foreseeable future.
I did get a fair price on the CTR - but I got lowballed by the dealer on the trade.
In retrospect, should have sold the SI privately. The fact that you don't drive the car much makes me wonder if it is a great idea to trade...the SI, other than the seats, was a wonderful car, and if I had it today - almost four years after I traded it - I could get more than I traded it in for. It hold value really well.
Buy it if you just have to have it and it is your dream - I get it. But don't convince yourself it is a good financial move.

Pekingduck

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
I came from a 2018 si and I enjoyed it more for daily driving. For track driving the type is more useable. But for pure financial it a bad choice. I have to admit everytime I drive my type r it feel like event plus I get compliments on the type r all the time.

RP2000R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 21 Porsche Cayman GT4, 15 Lexus IS350 RWD
Late Nov 23 I was given $21k trade in on my 2020 Si Coupe. Interior was spotless, outside was clean but the grill was broke, tires needed to be replaced and the window had a few dings/chips no cracks. Car had window tint and splash guards. This was in Seattle where we also get a tax break on trade value @ 10% + depending on our area.

Last edited:

TchnoZ33

First Name
Zaid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Look at the post 5 minutes ago! They have a type R in NC for sale!

xcon

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Dealer offers MSRP + $6K with $2K worth of add-on for 23 CTR. I have a 2018 civic Si with only 3,000 miles. The car has rarely being drive much since I use another car for work. The car has full front-end protection film (PPF), high-end alarms and exhaust system etc. I spent over $6,000 on parts & labor. If I am going to trade-in my Si, will the dealer lowball me due to my aftermarket parts? Taking everything back to stock will cost about $300-$500 of labor and might not a good idea. If I ended up not able to purchase the CTR, then I would just keep my Si. I don't want to change back to stock if I am going to keep the car longer. Is it a bad idea to trade-in my Si with aftermarket parts? I think selling my Si will help me financially when buying the CTR (since my Si should worth about $27,000). My reason of trade-in is that CTR can keep the car value for long time. I always want to own a CTR as I am at 45. Life is short. What do you guys suggest for the trade-in situation? How many of you agree or disagree?
See my post on a new car.

Samurai1225

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
As others have said.... One dealership in my city has a 2023 Championship White advertising it a little over 45k and their 2024 Boost Blue is "call for price" .

rob495

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2012 Ariel Atom
Dealer offers MSRP + $6K with $2K worth of add-on for 23 CTR. I have a 2018 civic Si with only 3,000 miles. The car has rarely being drive much since I use another car for work. The car has full front-end protection film (PPF), high-end alarms and exhaust system etc. I spent over $6,000 on parts & labor. If I am going to trade-in my Si, will the dealer lowball me due to my aftermarket parts? Taking everything back to stock will cost about $300-$500 of labor and might not a good idea. If I ended up not able to purchase the CTR, then I would just keep my Si. I don't want to change back to stock if I am going to keep the car longer. Is it a bad idea to trade-in my Si with aftermarket parts? I think selling my Si will help me financially when buying the CTR (since my Si should worth about $27,000). My reason of trade-in is that CTR can keep the car value for long time. I always want to own a CTR as I am at 45. Life is short. What do you guys suggest for the trade-in situation? How many of you agree or disagree?
I think 6K + 2k of add-ons is too much. I paid 4K over and even at that price point, I'm barely able to justify the purchase to myself. Get a rough trade in estimate online using KBB, Carmax, Carvana, and Truecar. If the price is within an acceptable range for you, you can bring the car back to stock and have it evaluated at the dealership. Factor in the high interest rates we are currently experiencing, so be smart and go to the dealership pre-approved. Make them work to beat your rate. Beware, I think the economy is going to be rough for the next few years so check and double check your finances. I think the best bet is to sell the Si for cash and invest it appropriately.

But before any of this, I'd suggest test driving a Type R, GR Corolla, Golf R, and a Mustang GT. You never know what you will like. I'm sure someone on this forum would, at the very least, be willing to give you a ride.

Good luck and let us know what you do.

OP
OP

be12nard

First Name
InvisibleWorld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Civic EXL
@rob495 Thanks for your comment. The dealer offers ADM $6,000 mark-up with $2,000 free accessories. I am going to wait for MSRP or until the markup is lower. I am not in a rush to purchase a CTR.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
@rob495 Thanks for your comment. The dealer offers ADM $6,000 mark-up with $2,000 free accessories. I am going to wait for MSRP or until the markup is lower. I am not in a rush to purchase a CTR.
Can you list out the "free accessories"? I'm willing to bet they cost nowhere near $2,000, and believe a few of us can help you figure out their actual value.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I understand that sometimes owning things at one point or another to fulfill a dream is important and personal goals are super helpful to achieve dreams. But…what I can’t quite wrap my head around here is making a financial leap just to have a new, rolling, motorized, statue you almost never drive. I get it, but I also don’t.

You bought the Si because you apparently enjoy driving…but then you didn’t drive it. We’re only in the beginning of 2024. So let’s say you’ve actually owned the car for about 5 years. At 3000 miles, this means you drove your Si an average of 50 miles a month…but, I’m guessing that in reality it sat in the garage 90% of the time and you took it out only on perfect weather days that landed on Saturdays and Sundays.

If I were in your shoes I’d get something that’s already worthwhile to preserve and fits perfect weather, weekend, driving, and isn’t going to depreciate. With that in mind I’d greatly consider a clean S2000.

Just my $.02

Last edited:

menikmati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX STI, BRZ, FL5
I would imagine that finding a clean and reasonably-priced S2000 is not an easy endeavor with the current market, but I'm not well-informed about that car.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I would imagine that finding a clean and reasonably-priced S2000 is not an easy endeavor with the current market, but I'm not well-informed about that car.
Yeah, that’s probably true. I know they’re out there…as are other GREAT car choices for keeping the miles off of and just occasionally driving! That was my point.

Why buy a new, semi-limited, car and never drive it…unless you’re a collector? If one just has to have a collectible Type R and one that might make sense not to rack up miles on, get an FK8 LE. If you don’t like yellow, wrap it in another color! Hell…that’d preserve the original paint too. I’m just spitballing here. LOL
Sponsored