• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Trans Fluid - when to replace?

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Currently at 12k miles on my type R and wanted to get the consensus for when to change out the trans fluid?

I've done 2 track days and then besides that, just normal commuter driving with occasional spirited weekend drives.

Reason for asking, I have found recently that the shifting isn't as smooth as I remembered it being, when fully warmed up.

For those who have changed, how bad is it to do yourself?

Thanks all
Sponsored

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
With performance cars, changing the trans fluid is something you kind of do based on feel, mileage, and driving habits (track days etc). If you feel like it needs to be changed, then just do it. It won’t hurt anything and it can definitely make your shifts better/smoother. I’m a HUGE proponent of Amsoil MTF. Stuff truly did wonders for my previous car and I will put it in my FL5 when the right time comes.

Changing the fluid is about as easy as an oil change. There’s not a whole lot to it.🙂

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
My car only had 6500 miles on it before I wrecked it, and I had already changed the trans fluid out twice.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
Changing the transmission fluid out is incredibly easy, and cheap. Here's the video:

Awesome. Do you need to elevate and level the car for this process or can you just jack the front, remove overfill plug , fill , lower and let extras drain, then jack front and replace plug?

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Awesome. Do you need to elevate and level the car for this process or can you just jack the front, remove overfill plug , fill , lower and let extras drain, then jack front and replace plug?
I did my best to level the car to drain it. You'll also want it level when you fill it so that you get the correct amount of fluid into the car.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
I did my best to level the car to drain it. You'll also want it level when you fill it so that you get the correct amount of fluid into the car.
I'm not sure how I could raise the the rear once the front is lifted on stands.

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I'm not sure how I could raise the the rear once the front is lifted on stands.
My driveway has a slope down to a level pad. So I park the rear tires on the slope then jack the front.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
My driveway has a slope down to a level pad. So I park the rear tires on the slope then jack the front.
That's a convenient design. I was wondering skimming through the video, at work so no audio, and noticed you only had the front lifted. Well darn.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
Jacking up and doing either 4 stands or ramps is a good option too.
Curious on how othershave done this. Is the car stable enough to jack from the front and rear jack points and left both sides at once?

If I lift only the front first the rear squats too much to get a jack under.

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Curious on how othershave done this. Is the car stable enough to jack from the front and rear jack points and left both sides at once?

I've jacked up the car and stacked blocks of wood underneath the tires, and then lowered the car back down on to the wood blocks. Its rudimentary, but it works.

Or you could jack the front only to drain the fluid, and then lower the car back down to fill the fluid if you have a very shallow pan to catch the overflow.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link

Back when I did not have the quick jack I would lift the front and put the ramps on and then lift the rear and do the same. It works on jack stands also. But IMO a lift is the best way.

Vito.FL5

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 1997 civic Vti EK4, 1999 sedan
a little overfill in the transmission wont hurt

Vito.FL5

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 1997 civic Vti EK4, 1999 sedan
Changing the transmission fluid out is incredibly easy, and cheap. Here's the video:

I like the video, but I disagree on loosing torque from the extensions. Unless your arm is an impact wrench lol
Sponsored