• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Trunk release on remote??

Djseto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Mazda RX7, 2023 Boost Blue FL5
Just got my FL5 so maybe I'm just dumb but when I press the button on my remote to open the trunk, my lights flash but the trunk doesn't open/pop up. What am I missing here?
Sponsored

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
It doesnā€™t pop up because the hatch uses pneumatic lifts. Took me awhile to get used to it too. My last car was an 09 Si, which had spring tensioners built into the trunk. The trunk lid was also much lighter weight, so springs are sufficient. But anyway, thatā€™s why SUVā€™s and hatchbacks have pneumatic lifts, not springs. The door is big and heavy.

OP
OP

Djseto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so what I hear is it's a useless button. Basically unlocks it and that's it?

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
Struck me as odd too, I'm so used to a trunklid at least popping a little bit. It's a pretty pointless button since I *assume* everyone uses proximity sensing, I never have to unlock the trunk manually.

shyong

First Name
King
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M3 Competition, 2023 CTR Champ White
It's a good thing. You do not want the back hatch opening and closing that way especially with the spoiler. Major clearance issues in a garage considering Honda, if they did have the auto open/close, they wouldn't implement adjustment option on how wide the rear hatch would open.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
The fob is probably the same one used across several Honda and Acura vehicles, including the Civic Sedanā€¦which I bet the trunk does pop-up when the button is pushed. In other cars/SUVā€™s, the lift gate is probably motorized. But yeah, the button is pretty useless in our case.

ctrc2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model3
i guess you can always buy aftermarket parts so it pops up but ya, like others mentioned I would be concerned with clearance.

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
The only time it's useful is when there's someone running to the car ahead of you and is eager to get something out of the trunk, you can unlock for them to lift the hatch. šŸ™ƒ

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Just got my FL5 so maybe I'm just dumb but when I press the button on my remote to open the trunk, my lights flash but the trunk doesn't open/pop up. What am I missing here?
So apparently it 'works' the same way as the one on my FK8- so useless.
I don't unlock my trunk unless there is clearance, so it is 'protecting'' me from a non-event.
I don't bother with the key fob for the trunk. I guess if you have someone else unloading or loading it while you are sitting in the car it would help, but then they would still be thrown off by the fact it didn't raise even a little bit. Not the best decision IMO by Honda on this.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Non-issue and it's logical to me. The hatch doesn't "pop" (open slightly) when you press the hatch unlock button on the key fob because there's a release button in the recess above the license plate that allows you to physically open it. The effort you would apply to opening the hatch fully if it were "popped" or pressing the hatch release button in the recess above the license plate and lifting it is the same. Even if the hatch were to "pop", if you had your hands full you would still need to put the items down and open the hatch. Not sure what you would gain from the hatch slightly popping open when you press the hatch unlock button on the fob. The trunk unlock button on the remote is purposeful because you may want to unlock the hatch without unlocking the door (or doors) of the car.

On another car I have, the rear hatch "pops" because there's no button on the back to open via proximity/smart entry or otherwise. And that makes sense because there is no hatch release button on the hatch. Otherwise there would be no way to open the hatch from outside the car.

Last edited:

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
You make a very good point. That said, I have run into situations when traveling with the valet not understanding this and standing there after I unlock it from the car. If I have to get out, show them where to reach, and even open the trunk for them, I am thinking why Honda?

Unless this design decision saved weight, in which case fine. But I doubt that is it.

As it is, sometimes it sticks.

Not a big deal either way, to be sure, but a trunk that opens hands free, and that doesn't confuse others is a plus. Which is why most other vehicles work that way.

OP
OP

Djseto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Itā€™s more of having useless button on a remote. Youā€™d think theyā€™d at least make a TypeR special fobā€¦šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
Sponsored