• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Type R Record at the Ring?

Will the Type R take the record at Nurburgring before the reveal?

• Total voters

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
After all those recent released, still no Record announced...!
I guess 6 persons we're right ... : No, Honda just loves taking pictures
How can they beat the last type R at Suzuka by 1 second and miss
on the Nurburgring (a 4 times longer track) ?
There are quite a few things we don't know.

It is common among automakers to use the Ring as a test bed. It isn't always about the lap time when they do.
Sponsored

TrackS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jordan 1
After all those recent released, still no Record announced...!
I guess 6 persons we're right ... : No, Honda just loves taking pictures
How can they beat the last type R at Suzuka by 1 second and miss
on the Nurburgring (a 4 times longer track) ?
Just my thoughts - I personally don't fully understand how they can test / compare the lap time at Suzuka as a rolling start when the starting speed is going to vary. When watching the side by side video, the FK8 starting speed seems lower than the the FL5, which immediately puts it behind.

It's possible there's something I am missing or don't understand, however given that above, I am sceptical as to whether it was actually a quicker lap, or if it just started at a higher initial speed.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Just my thoughts - I personally don't fully understand how they can test / compare the lap time at Suzuka as a rolling start when the starting speed is going to vary. When watching the side by side video, the FK8 starting speed seems lower than the the FL5, which immediately puts it behind.

It's possible there's something I am missing or don't understand, however given that above, I am sceptical as to whether it was actually a quicker lap, or if it just started at a higher initial speed.
Wouldn't that still mean the FL5 is faster? I would suspect they do a warm lap then 2-3 laps and take the fastest time. I could be wrong.

TrackS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jordan 1
Wouldn't that still mean the FL5 is faster? I would suspect they do a warm lap then 2-3 laps and take the fastest time. I could be wrong.
Well, yes but in this scenario, hypothetically, it could have done the whole lap at the exact same speed, except for the first straight prior to the lap even starting (where it crossed the start line at a higher speed).

I think the way you describe it with the laps is correct, I'm just thinking that it's a fairly 'flimsy' comparison test - given the speed prior to the actual time starting can effect the overall time.

citrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CZ4A, Abarth 500, ZZW30, ND2 RF
I'm just hoping the car is optimised for the roads, all roads, and not over focused on ring times that it sacrifices day to day driving. The ring is such a big circuit that you only have to find a tiny gain in one area for that to be amplified and add up to a big number at the end of the lap - that's why so many manufacturers use it, it sounds better than saying it is 0.3 seconds faster around Silverstone.

As such - I couldn't care less about the time, just give me a well sorted car!

Rant over 🤪
Absolutely agree. ND, for example, is a great car for daily use because Mazda designed it for compliance. You can live near terrible roads, but the car will still be fun to drive.

That said, I'm sure the FL5 will be great in that aspect as well, since the FK8 was already very good. Too many cars these days have "adjustable" damping that either do nothing or too much.

TrackS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jordan 1
Nurburgring times are done with a rolling start, too. Cars that are capable of crossing the start line at a higher speed aren’t penalized for it. That’s kind of the whole point; the car is faster.
Yes that's true, however in that case, the start speed compared to the overall lap time is a much smaller percentage - but yes.

Either way, what I was really getting at however, was whether the FK8 vs FL5 difference in lap time at Suzuka was just purely down to how well the final corner exit on the prior lap might have been rather than anywhere else (given we do know it crossed the start line faster).

citrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CZ4A, Abarth 500, ZZW30, ND2 RF
Yes that's true, however in that case, the start speed compared to the overall lap time is a much smaller percentage - but yes.

Either way, what I was really getting at however, was whether the FK8 vs FL5 difference in lap time at Suzuka was just purely down to how well the final corner exit on the prior lap might have been rather than anywhere else (given we do know it crossed the start line faster).
If the FL5 corner exit was faster, that means it would've faster on the same corner exit on its timed lap anyway, so it's fine. Flying laps are pretty good at ironing out inconsistencies.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
If the weather is fine enough for Germans and their new car touting areo improvements..

Well then... Why not the FL5?

Zero7

First Name
Avtar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
If the weather is fine enough for Germans and their new car touting areo improvements..

Well then... Why not the FL5?
I'm not sure they will go for a ring record

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
I'm not sure they will go for a ring record
I forget who they interviewed in Japan and what the event was for. He mentioned they were waiting for a cooler season to make a run.

Of course I'm as good at the Interpretation.

Zero7

First Name
Avtar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
I forget who they interviewed in Japan and what the event was for. He mentioned they were waiting for a cooler season to make a run.

Of course I'm as good at the Interpretation.
If that is the case now id the prefect time, but we normally get some leaked information ahead of time.
Sponsored