• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Used FK8 or New FL5

wu343

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
I am at a bit of a crossroads here. I have a deal ready to go for a MY21 FK8 with about 16k miles. It is in great condition and the best price I could get is just over $41k + TTL. I was also able to find an FL5 for MSRP + $10k markup.

I like the more grown up look of the FL5. For those that have come from an FK8, is it worth the upgrade? Basically, if you had to choose a used FK8 for $41k or a new FL5 for about $54k, which would it be and why?
Sponsored

2017civicext

R-15474
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2022 Civic Sport Touring
I will do my best to help here. I just traded in my 2018 FK8 about two weeks ago on an FL5. I owned the FK8 since new (about 5 years) and very much enjoyed driving it. I will say though the moment I got into the FL5 and drove it home I quickly forgot about the FK8. It feels like a big evolution to me. Shifter feel, steering and ride and are much improved IMO. The individual drive mode is awesome as it lets you personalize everything if you don't want the harsher ride but would like the sport or +R in other settings. Looks are subjective but seeing the FL5 in person SOLD me on it. I didn't have a second thought about it once I felt the dealer met me in a fair deal. I could go on and on about the changes between the two but I feel like they kept everything that was amazing about the FK8 and made really nice upgrades throughout. Best of luck on your decision! Keep us posted.

11th Gen Honda Civic Used FK8 or New FL5 6CFB3DE6-9E10-4E4E-97A9-A162A4932D8A.JPG

OP
OP

wu343

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Decided to pass on the FK8. Now I need to continue my search for an FL5.

I also found out my name is coming up in about 2 months for a new C8 at MSRP... I had one last year and they are amazing, but thinking about getting back into a Type R for the practicality and cost savings.

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
Base model C8 is pretty boring nowadays with all the more exclusive trims available. I donā€™t expect it to have the same resale potential as the FL5 either.

OP
OP

wu343

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Base model C8 is pretty boring nowadays with all the more exclusive trims available. I donā€™t expect it to have the same resale potential as the FL5 either.
Have you driven one? They are amazing even in base trim. My name is on the list for a Z06, but that will likly be another 2-3 years before my number is called.

11th Gen Honda Civic Used FK8 or New FL5 IMG_0753

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
Have you driven one? They are amazing even in base trim.
IMG_0753.jpeg
Iā€™m sure they are! A dedicated sports car doesnā€™t fit my lifestyle right now with two kids hence the Civic Type R. I also wanted a manual car.

If it works for you though definitely consider that or a GR Supra manual.

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Have you driven one? They are amazing even in base trim. My name is on the list for a Z06, but that will likly be another 2-3 years before my number is called.

IMG_0753.jpeg
Damn dude, how many lists are you on šŸ¤£

Forget the CTR, save up for that Z06! And get that FPC V8 glory!

Kfo_cpa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RDX
I will do my best to help here. I just traded in my 2018 FK8 about two weeks ago on an FL5. I owned the FK8 since new (about 5 years) and very much enjoyed driving it. I will say though the moment I got into the FL5 and drove it home I quickly forgot about the FK8. It feels like a big evolution to me. Shifter feel, steering and ride and are much improved IMO. The individual drive mode is awesome as it lets you personalize everything if you don't want the harsher ride but would like the sport or +R in other settings. Looks are subjective but seeing the FL5 in person SOLD me on it. I didn't have a second thought about it once I felt the dealer met me in a fair deal. I could go on and on about the changes between the two but I feel like they kept everything that was amazing about the FK8 and made really nice upgrades throughout. Best of luck on your decision! Keep us posted.

6CFB3DE6-9E10-4E4E-97A9-A162A4932D8A.JPG
Thank you for this review. Itā€™s good to hear from a FK8 owner. Can you please comment on the suspension and ride comfort compared to your FK8? I drove the FK8 last year and really liked the ride feel and Iā€™m hoping the FL5 is similar in regards to comfort. From reviews it seems like the new one is stiffer and bouncier.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Iā€™m sure they are! A dedicated sports car doesnā€™t fit my lifestyle right now with two kids hence the Civic Type R. I also wanted a manual car.

If it works for you though definitely consider that or a GR Supra manual.
Where do you even drive a car like that without either landing in the slammer or crossing the finish line? The Type R almost gets me in trouble šŸ˜‚.

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
Chevy lost me with no manual option on the Corvette. Corvette use to be an easily available vehicle for a decent price that could run with some of the big dogs. Now itā€™s not as affordable, weighs a bunch more, no manual, not readily available, etc.
Z06 is pretty special but it is a real shame you wonā€™t be able to fully connect with that glorious 5.5L flat plane V8 since you canā€™t get the manual.
Maybe one day theyā€™ll surprise enthusiasts with a manual. The argument about not capitalizing on the full,performance potential if the car had a manual is such BS. Just ask Porsche with their 991.2 GT3, dream car of mine. Not GT3 RS because no manual option but instead the pure GT3.

SP R KiD

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BB CTR, 2022 Honda CRV, 2022 Ford F150
Just put a deposit on an incoming FL5. Worked out a decent deal.
Congrats!

Any details on color or when you should get it?

OP
OP

wu343

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
SGP and should be here around the end of the Month

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Nice! Was gonna say earlier, not only is the FK8 exterior rather a matter of taste, so is the interior. The FL5 is so much more clean and refined inside, where youā€™ll surely be spending most of your time!
Sponsored