• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Vibration during acceleration in 1st gear

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: K20Z1 EK Civic, Golf R Mk7.5, B8 RS4
Build Thread
Link
Hi all,
I just took delivery of my FL5 yesterday and I've noticed a vibration coming through the cabin during acceleration in 1st gear with moderate throttle (30-50%). It seems to happen in 2 waves as it goes through the rev range and feels as though the cars got bad engine mounts. It also seems to smoothen out on the higher gears.

Would love to hear other owners input.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
Took a little getting use to for me as well. Previous cars for me are an Alfa Giulia and big V8 sports cars so am use to smooth runNing engines.

This vibration is part of the Type Rā€™s character and makes it feel full of energy at highway speeds and when accelerating. Was looking for a more unique, lightweight and playful driving experience than cars past and itā€™s been found in the FL5!

OP
OP
tezzasaurusrex

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Unbalanced engine. All of them do it, particularly in R mode. The balanced shafts are excluded and the raucous 90s vibration is the result.
Yes actually thats exactly how it feels - like an engine with its balance shafts removed or out of phase. Its interesting that the K20 series of previous (eg, K20A, K20Z1, etc) were balance shaft free engines but ran perfectly smoothly. So the K20C1 does not run any balance shafts?

OP
OP
tezzasaurusrex

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Took a little getting use to for me as well. Previous cars for me are an Alfa Giulia and big V8 sports cars so am use to smooth runNing engines.

This vibration is part of the Type Rā€™s character and makes it feel full of energy at highway speeds and when accelerating. Was looking for a more unique, lightweight and playful driving experience than cars past and itā€™s been found in the FL5!
Thanks for your feedback! Much appreciated :)

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
The vibration is reduced significantly in Comfort engine mode. I don't know if it's due to the less aggressive tune or maybe active motor mounts?

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Wait until you drive a GT350 šŸ˜‚

OP
OP
tezzasaurusrex

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The vibration is reduced significantly in Comfort engine mode. I don't know if it's due to the less aggressive tune or maybe active motor mounts?
I see! I will try that tonight and report back

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
Actually the GT350 felt much smoother though I agree not as smooth as something from Merc or Audi or even the LT1 in the Corvette. I loved that engine, super linear and pulls all the way to redline. Plus it sounded amazing too šŸ˜. Replacement cost of that engine scared me away as the 5 year powertrain warranty was about to expire.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Interesting! Yeah, I noticed this too, but couldnā€™t figure out what was causing it as it doesnā€™t always do itā€¦so I ignored it.šŸ¤£ It makes sense that it does it more or less based on how hard I accelerate. Also, coming from a K20Z3 for almost 14 years, I was surprised by this slight roughness. My Si was always a smooth operator. Glad itā€™s all good / normal for the FL5.

Last edited:

JAMSXR

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C63
Surely this is a good thing? Unless you want an EVā€¦ Sure, itā€™s not a V8 type of vibration but at least you know something is happening.

OP
OP
tezzasaurusrex

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Surely this is a good thing? Unless you want an EVā€¦ Sure, itā€™s not a V8 type of vibration but at least you know something is happening.
I think your response is a little extreme. Personally I would have preferred the engine itself to be smoother but the car run harder durometer engine mounts instead. Type R's of old used to be blue printed engines!

Village911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 #839
Unbalanced engine. All of them do it, particularly in R mode. The balanced shafts are excluded and the raucous 90s vibration is the result.
Yeah, it's because the type R engine has had balance shafts removed for weight reduction and the vibrations are an acceptable compromise XD Not a bad motor mount!!! hehe

btw I fxxking love this video here, the main reason why I bought fl5:
Sponsored