• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Well…it was fun while it lasted…

sgtmorph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Hatchback (BB)
Like many, I had plans to spend many thousands on mods, intake, exhaust, suspension, wheels, etc.

That all changed today when my balloon got popped by a YouTube video from Project717. In the video, they took a CVT sport to get a baseline dyno before installing the new PRL HVI. (Link below is for reference, not my content)

The man himself Derek Robinson basically said “don’t bother trying to dyno this car.”
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ What many don’t realize, is that when he talks, you listen!

So I’ve decided to upgrade, something preferably with a manual again (TBD). I’ve had the car almost a year and only put 5,400~ miles on it. With two years left on my lease, I’m going to stay in this until the right car presents itself. But for now, modding is stopped. The mods I’ve installed (and the ones I haven’t) will all go into a part-out for sale thread soon.

It’s a shame bc I really do love the car, and doing a tranny swap will be too costly….all just so I could have a manual (that nobody cares to tune past OTA). I can easily just sell this car for a profit, and get whatever comes next.

I guess I’ll update y’all soon 🤙🏻
Sponsored

Last edited:

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
I'm confused. He didn't say don't modify a CVT, he said don't dyno one. So normally I would say modify any way you see fit... to make it more enjoyable for you. Exhaust, intake, suspension, wheels will all do that. But then as others said, it's a lease, so I'm not sure modding a lease is a great idea. Your call! Cheers!

AshSerigala

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11-Gen Honda Civic Hatchback Sport-Touring
Personally, I know someone with a 10th gen CVT who went through and did KTuner and did stuff over emails and such and I mean sure, He never could Dyno it to get a REAL exact HP number. But I've heard some dynos ( Different ones different tech ) Can still get a WHP reading if all you care about is the max HP you can push. My friend did street-tune, and they had him do 20-90MPH pulls and after back/forth emails with the tuner he paid, By time he did run it on a dyno, it resulted in 300WHP

Personally I've already done the PRL high-volume intake on mine ( F*cking love it, induction noise and all is very noticeable ) Plan to get a KTuner and do street-tunning over emails to get it dialed in after I swap my exhaust and a few other performance mods. I'm not looking to replace the turbo as my goal isnt to just go balls to the wall with HP, I just want to get the most out of it. Exhaust is on order, and down the road I'll swap wheels and do a Big-Brake-Kit because its a visual style I enjoy on cars. All of this is more than beyond worth it to me, As its all about how it feels and how it sounds. I personally don't care to know the HP output. If it drives fun and sounds nice, those numbers mean nothing to me.

One thing my friend noted with his 10th gen CVT. The first shop he took his to was 100% Dyno tuned. Though they got >300HP out of it, the tuner wasn't skilled on CVTs. The result was the car's CVT often slipped and long story short, He fucked the CVT and has to install a new one. He then went through someone who actually knows Honda CVTs super well, and they mapped it so the CVT can still do that 300HP but wont skip. Often that skip was on the lower end ( Starting too hard from a stop )so you dial that back a bit, and once over 20MPH then you can have that full power and no skips. Once that was done, Its been over 4 years now and he's still ripping that thing around ( after 20MPH ) like a racecar and absolutely no problems and still dynos a hair above 300.

I'm not personally aiming for no 300HP. I'd be fine with anything over the stock 180HP. Even 220-250HP. I'm more after "Let the car breath" and getting a little more exhaust note. Got my street tune lined up, and got a local place that told me their setup can run CVT and at least tell me the max HP output.

and PS: I tune through Derek Robinson. He's that one that is reading my ktuner data and doing the adjustments. Directly asked him if hes done any 11 gen CVTs and he's done a handful with plenty of success. Just waiting for my mods and he's gladly waiting for me to say lets-do-this and get it done. Which Derek himself didnt say anything about dyno. My communications with him was just Yes I've done 11 gen CVT tunes, Yes I can tune yours via you drive around, I read the data, I make changes, and we repeat until we're happy.

Last edited:

CivicR38

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 SGP Type R #4360
Like many, I had plans to spend many thousands on mods, intake, exhaust, suspension, wheels, etc.

That all changed today when my balloon got popped by a YouTube video from Project717. In the video, they took a CVT sport to get a baseline dyno before installing the new PRL HVI. (Link below is for reference, not my content)

The man himself Derek Robinson basically said “don’t bother trying to dyno this car.”
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ What many don’t realize, is that when he talks, you listen!

So I’ve decided to upgrade, something preferably with a manual again (TBD). I’ve had the car almost a year and only put 5,400~ miles on it. With two years left on my lease, I’m going to stay in this until the right car presents itself. But for now, modding is stopped. The mods I’ve installed (and the ones I haven’t) will all go into a part-out for sale thread soon.

It’s a shame bc I really do love the car, and doing a tranny swap will be too costly….all just so I could have a manual (that nobody cares to tune past OTA). I can easily just sell this car for a profit, and get whatever comes next.

I guess I’ll update y’all soon 🤙🏻
I'm confused by this post as well, why would you modify anything at all on a leased vehicle, you'll be forced to purchase it at the end of the lease especially if you tune it.

Wingman520

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback

AshSerigala

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11-Gen Honda Civic Hatchback Sport-Touring
That's often what I heard / seen too, 11 gen CVTs being dyno on the roller type. My friend with his 10th gen that I mentioned above I know was on roller and as much as I assume these would test similar, I guess they're built differently as the CVTs tend to prefer the roller type from what I'm seeing? I'd assume paddle shifters dont benifit anything towards it. I always understood those are just a gemmick and more for the fun of engine sounds ( making the RPMs drop down and ramp back up ) or does that actually change how the torque converter and such acts?

Wingman520

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback
That's often what I heard / seen too, 11 gen CVTs being dyno on the roller type. My friend with his 10th gen that I mentioned above I know was on roller and as much as I assume these would test similar, I guess they're built differently as the CVTs tend to prefer the roller type from what I'm seeing? I'd assume paddle shifters dont benifit anything towards it. I always understood those are just a gemmick and more for the fun of engine sounds ( making the RPMs drop down and ramp back up ) or does that actually change how the torque converter and such acts?
Cvt has, I think, clutches or counterweights to change the pulleys. Don’t hold me to it. I got out of the automotive industry before these came around. Linking a video to at least demonstrate what a cvt does. You can technically force it to be a certain “gear” but a cvt has infinite gear set.

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
There is a 10th gen CVT Civic in Canada that blows away FK8 Type R's in the 1/4 mile, like they were standing still. The car has been running reliably for quite a while. I would never have believed it but the videos are out there, and the car is wild. I owned a 10th gen CVT Civic coupe touring and enjoyed driving it very much, it ran great

Last edited:

Shingo_Shoji

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic SI
I'm just here hoping the mad lad comes back and says why he was going to modify a lease.
Why would you not modify a lease? You are not forced to purchase it when you are done. As long as you return it to stock, who cares?

Preyforsurf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR
Why would you not modify a lease? You are not forced to purchase it when you are done. As long as you return it to stock, who cares?
Depending on the dealer/lease agreement, and the type of modification; the dealer may want more out of you even if you returned the car in a stock condition. We aren't talking about just changing wheels here, I'm assuming?
Sponsored