• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

What are the chances of honda eventually using gearbox Auto Transmissions in next gen civics?

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Flying cars, piloted manually, will be common before the advent of self-driving cars, so we should first worry about that.

11th Gen Honda Civic What are the chances of honda eventually using gearbox Auto Transmissions in next gen civics? oZPnet4liWgunEVLptHnlXDxuyUmF4p64jWh91zhwYkTo5ce67UNDXrZN0rzg?width=400&height=225&cropmode=none
Sponsored

joshhjackson2112

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI
Honestly, obtaining (and maintaining) a driver’s license should be a lot harder than it currently is.
Man I thought I was the only one that thought this. I have been saying it for years. I do not think every yahoo that can remember 4 road signs should be able to have a vehicle on the road. There are wayyy too many cars on the road. I am sure you West coast folks can agree.
This year I had someone that desperately needed pain killers suicide bomb me head on. Destroyed my 08 EX and fractured a disk in my lower back. He was walking around "crying" to go to the hospital while I was laying on the ground asking people to call my wife to come get me and take me home. I apparently asked for the wrong person, she made me go to hospital anyway lol. Blessing in disguise, it is how I ended up with my '18 si :cool: It was a present to myself for not dying because of some dumb-ass.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
I guess there is not much traffic at 5 am, I would go for the manual:nixon:

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
A poll of drivers recently found that 80% of all drivers think they are better drivers than most other people.

BirchBarlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CR-V EX-L AWD, 2016 Civic EX-T
I agree with this sentiment. A CVT, even a "good CVT" still has inferior driving characteristics to a geared transmission. Notice you don't see any CVTs in the Acura lineup, ask yourself why that is. Personally I would take the driving characteristics of a regular gearbox over the nominal fuel economy gains of a CVT.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Notice you don't see any CVTs in the Acura lineup, ask yourself why that is.
I asked myself and I didn't know the answer other than Honda/Acura didn't develop appropriate CVTs for these vehicles.
What I do know is that Nissan Maxima is a much more sporty and faster car than my civicx with a 300 hp and 261 lbft rated engine equipped with no other transmissions but a CVT.
I would have chosen that car if not for its gas mileage appropriate for the 3.5L V6 NA engine.
There is also the Infiniti QX60 "mid-size luxury crossover SUV" with CVT only.

Last edited:

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
I asked myself and I didn't know the answer other than Honda/Acura didn't develop appropriate CVTs for these vehicles.
What I do know is that Nissan Maxima is a much more sporty and faster car than my civicx with a 300 hp and 261 lbft ratings equipped with no other transmissions but a CVT.
I would have chosen that car if not for its gas mileage appropriate for the 3.5L V6 NA engine.
Indeed.
SO as almost all of Nissan's line up including SUVs. They just have to size the CVT to the job on hand.

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
What I do know is that Nissan Maxima is a much more sporty and faster car than my civicx with a 300 hp and 261 lbft rated engine equipped with no other transmissions but a CVT.
Where I live at 3500ft above sea level, the Maxima is not faster than a 1.5t with a simple stage 2 tune. The people that complain about the Cvts don't have to own one. There are other choices available.

I too love geared automatics but I don't miss the jerk between shifts and dropping in and out of the powerband. The 1.5t with CVT works very well together when paired with Ktuner and a heavy foot.

SpartanSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX and Honda CR-V
It is fully understandable why many drivers like manual transmissions over automatic.
But I don't see any appeal whatever of a fixed-gear appliance vs. CVT. Today the load handling of available CVT models may be limited for some car makers like Honda, but there are large SUVs with CVT. Soon CVTs will be practically indestructible and 17-speed automatic gearboxes will not make sense any longer.
Besides, the more gears, the more the AT behaves like a CVT. And the trend is to keep increasing the number of gears.
This is very true. Go drive the previous generation TL and then go drive the current TLX. The TL has a 6spd auto and the TLX has a 9 spd in the V-6. The TLX drives very similar to a CVT.

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
My vote is on no chance as CVT is great for fuel economy. I know CVT has a lame duck rep but it is actually a very clever design and it was banned in F1 as soon as one team tested it.

https://jalopnik.com/the-ten-most-ingenious-f1-cheats-ever-1465111260
I always tell people this and they're like huh wow. I really wanna see a performance car with a real race inspired CVT I feel like that'd be insane. I think fastest car I can think of with one is the new WRX

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
True, but the Si has always been Naturally Aspirated until now. Honda spent years defending the lower power output of its NA engines over turbo charged competition (GTI), and now we have a turbo Si... it wouldn't be all that shocking (especially with the introduction of the CTR to the North American market) that they could potentially offer an auto option on a future Si, even if they didn't call it an Si but it still had the same features/performance upgrades (such as an S or GT style trim).
This is what I’ve been saying is that the “sport” should be an si with a dct
Sponsored