• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Bonito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Anybody got a good video for installing a new shifter boot? I've seen a few that go over parts of it. I imagine it'll go like this:

1) Unscrew shift knob
2) Pry tool center console silver lid off
3) Detach a few cables
4)Unscrew old boot assembly
5)Screw in new boot assembly
6)Reverse my steps

Will I need to cut the zip tie in there and replace it? I might need to go out and get some low profile zips...
Sponsored

OP
OP
Icehawk

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
Not sure this heat tape does much because its pre-turbo. Would be cool if you are seeing lower intake temps after this though.

Is the charge pipe between the intercooler and throttle body wrapped too?
Just the short connecting tube is wrapped. Not sure how much it can do either but figured it couldn't hurt.

11th Gen Honda Civic What did you do to your FL5 today? IMG_3757.JPEG

Anybody got a good video for installing a new shifter boot? I've seen a few that go over parts of it. I imagine it'll go like this:

1) Unscrew shift knob
3) Detach a few cables
6)Reverse my steps

Will I need to cut the zip tie in there and replace it? I might need to go out and get some low profile zips...
Bear in mind unscrewing the knob without loosening the retainer nut is HARD. It's how I got mine off in the end but it was not easy. Once the knob is off everything is very simple as the boot can be lifted off and over the shift rod.

You don't need a low profile zip tie if you use smaller ones, it's kinda a YMMV thing. If you are swapping boots it will need to be cut so you can swap the retainer assembly over.

Bonito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Bear in mind unscrewing the knob without loosening the retainer nut is HARD. It's how I got mine off in the end but it was not easy. Once the knob is off everything is very simple as the boot can be lifted off and over the shift rod.

You don't need a low profile zip tie if you use smaller ones, it's kinda a YMMV thing. If you are swapping boots it will need to be cut so you can swap the retainer assembly over.
I can loosen the retainer nut by removing the center console lid off first right? And I ordered the Overland boot that comes with the retainer assembly, so I should be able to just swap them out without any cutting.

OP
OP
Icehawk

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
No, you cannot get to the nut that way. In theory the boot is supposed to be able to be pulled down off the retainer but I found that to be impossible as do most from what I could find.

If you bought the complete assembly just leave the stock boot/retainer as-is, no need to cut the zip tie - that's just if you need to transfer the retainer.

Bonito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
No, you cannot get to the nut that way. In theory the boot is supposed to be able to be pulled down off the retainer but I found that to be impossible as do most from what I could find.

If you bought the complete assembly just leave the stock boot/retainer as-is, no need to cut the zip tie - that's just if you need to transfer the retainer.
Awesome, thanks for the info. I'll see how it goes later tonight and report back!

albi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R

1) Unscrew shift knob
3) Detach a few cables
6)Reverse my steps

Here is a video link that may be helpful.

https://www.civicxi.com/forum/threads/shift-knob-installation-on-fl5r.51423/

Bonito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Man this OEM knob is no joke. I’m trying to muscle it off by unscrewing it to keep the process simple and it just won’t budge. Might have to use the method in the video @albi posted.

albi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Man this OEM knob is no joke. I’m trying to muscle it off by unscrewing it to keep the process simple and it just won’t budge. Might have to use the method in the video @albi posted.
Yeah, I swapped mine using that video. If you break the collar or other parts, they are broke. If you cut the zip-tie that is like a $1 fix.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Icehawk

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
Yes, do NOT break the retainer - if you can't muscle the knob off then I'd go with cutting the zip tie so you can undo it all. I don't have a lot of hand strength and I struggled unscrewing the knob.

Bonito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Yes, do NOT break the retainer - if you can't muscle the knob off then I'd go with cutting the zip tie so you can undo it all. I don't have a lot of hand strength and I struggled unscrewing the knob.
I'll post pics tomorrow but ended up going the zip tie cutting route. So, I still broke the retainer trying to get to the nut to loosen so I could take off the knob. The good thing though, the Overland boot I ordered was the assembly, retainer, everything. It was way more difficult than it should've been but I was able to swap everything out and it looks great. The original OEM boot and assembly are fine, I'll just have to replace the retainer if I ever want to swap back (or just use the retainer from the Overland boot).

OP
OP
Icehawk

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
As far as I know you can't buy the retainer w/o the boot, you'll need to use an aftermarket one. I'd love to be wrong, if anyone knows a part # for the red version it would make me super happy.

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
I'm also doing the same install, and am at the final step.

Does the nut have to line up in a certain position before pulling up the boot and collar on it? See attached. Not sure if it needs to align with the collar. If it does, it's hard to get it aligned and also have the knob straight. What did you do?

11th Gen Honda Civic What did you do to your FL5 today? Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 10.11.47 AM

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
My thinking is to put the nut in the lowest position, then install the knob, line it up straight, tighten the nut, and then pull the collar/boot up on it. Just want to be sure the nut doesn't have to align with the collar.

albi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
As far as I know you can't buy the retainer w/o the boot, you'll need to use an aftermarket one. I'd love to be wrong, if anyone knows a part # for the red version it would make me super happy.
This is my understanding as well.

OP
OP
Icehawk

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
My thinking is to put the nut in the lowest position, then install the knob, line it up straight, tighten the nut, and then pull the collar/boot up on it. Just want to be sure the nut doesn't have to align with the collar.
This is correct, orientation of the nut doesn't matter - you adjust its height to snug the knob in the position you want.
Sponsored