• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Why is 11th gen slower than 10th gen?

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Please forgive if I've got the facts wrong but from what I've read in reviews on buff mags like Car & Driver the 11th gen is slower than the older model. Question is why? Honda claims increased power, not less, so it makes no sense. The trans tuning is different but could that cost that much performance in terms of 0-60mph? Please tell me I'm off base because I want to love the new model and trade in my 2017 for a "better" car.
Sponsored

Jabberwocker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GRolla CE/Taco/Pilot
Weight and gas mileage are the big two.

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Please forgive if I've got the facts wrong but from what I've read in reviews on buff mags like Car & Driver the 11th gen is slower than the older model. Question is why? Honda claims increased power, not less, so it makes no sense. The trans tuning is different but could that cost that much performance in terms of 0-60mph? Please tell me I'm off base because I want to love the new model and trade in my 2017 for a "better" car.
It is a better car in terms of quality inside. Comfort is also improved. It handles well for a stock car, BUT you’re trading in power for that. If you want power you’re going to have to tune the car with hondata, ktuner, or phearable stage 3. It’ll bring it up around 190whp/and 210wtq or so. Forgot the actual numbers, but it is nice imo.

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vs 10th gen 1.5 non si tune
11th Gen Honda Civic Why is 11th gen slower than 10th gen? phearablestage1point5dynosheet

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Plus they pushed the 1.5t to only the upper level trims and gave the lower levels the 2.0.

OP
OP
Nessism

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Plus they pushed the 1.5t to only the upper level trims and gave the lower levels the 2.0.
I saw some comment, maybe here, where it's been said that 70% of the Civics sold were 2.0's. It's a nice engine, no doubt, but I want more SPEED!

Anyway, I still don't understand how Honda can claim the new model makes more power (1.5T) but the car is slower. I don't want to "tune" my vehicle, partly because I'm in CA and they will bust guys with tunes come emission test time. Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter. I'm just curious.

JO3L

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC1E5, NA6CE
I think it was PRL that stated after dyno testing both generations that Honda understated the 10th gen power output and overstated the 11th gen. If you take both cars and put them on the same dyno back to back I bet the difference between the two will be negligible.

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
From Vincent at 27won:

"The more we dug into the car the more we realized that we didn't get the L15 turbo engine from the previous generation Civic, we got a detuned version of the current L15 turbo engine from the Accord," Vincent said. "The turbo, TIP, cylinder head, etc., is all Accord. The L15BY in the Civic is nothing to go crazy about. Yes, it is a factory turbocharged car, but it's really aimed at the MPG side of things and not the fun performance end."

neoison

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 hatchback sport
I had a 2016 ext sedan and it was noticeably faster than my 2021 Sport Hatchback. I feel the speed was dropped from a ecu tune change a few years back. When the oil dilution issues arrived. The viscosity of the oil was being compromised.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Keep a couple things in mind though. The Sport hatch tested slower than the 1.5T sedan even when it came out in 2017, long before any ecu tune change. The Sport hatch is heavier, has heavier 18" wheels (compared to the 2016 sedan 17's that were tested) and is less aerodynamic than the sedan.

Last edited:

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
I think it was PRL that stated after dyno testing both generations that Honda understated the 10th gen power output and overstated the 11th gen. If you take both cars and put them on the same dyno back to back I bet the difference between the two will be negligible.
I would take what Honda reports and throw it out the window. Instead look at test data from independent sources like Derek Robinson and John Vega. They have both tested both 10th and 11th gen Civics on their dynos and the results were unfortunately not favorable at all for the 11th gen models. Some of John's data is posted in a reply earlier in this thread.

Duckky

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
From Vincent at 27won:

"The more we dug into the car the more we realized that we didn't get the L15 turbo engine from the previous generation Civic, we got a detuned version of the current L15 turbo engine from the Accord," Vincent said. "The turbo, TIP, cylinder head, etc., is all Accord. The L15BY in the Civic is nothing to go crazy about. Yes, it is a factory turbocharged car, but it's really aimed at the MPG side of things and not the fun performance end."
Wait but if that's the case, doesn't that means the 11thgen will have more tuning potential in terms of making more power since the accord 1.5 cvt is better than the civic 1.5 cvt?

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Wait but if that's the case, doesn't that means the 11thgen will have more tuning potential in terms of making more power since the accord 1.5 cvt is better than the civic 1.5 cvt?
That’s what some tuners are already theorizing. However, the CVT was never the problem with tuning non-si 10th gens anyway. The CVT always handled the power.
Sponsored