• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Will I regret getting the 2.0 Sport vs. Turbo EX/Touring?

Zerostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Fit, Honda CR-V
The 2.0 Sport trim has basically everything I want (keyless entry & Push Button Start, Apple Car Play, Paddle Shifters, upgraded audio over the LX) and I love it's look. My only concern is whether I'll regret getting the 2.0 vs. the Turbo.

Here are a few things about me:
1. I currently drive a 2008 Honda Fit Sport which has 109 HP with a 5 speed auto with paddle shifters and I find it enjoyable to drive (of course the thing is super light) though I do wish I didn't have to floor it to get up to speed merging on to the high way.
2. I like going to car shows and went to Hot Import Nights last time it was in my state and want to go to HDay. (to give you an idea of my enthusiast level). However, I have never been into racing.
3. In the past, the mods I've done to my cars have been mostly visual (i.e. carbon fiber hood, upgraded audio, wheels, lowered suspension, painted brake calipers, tinted windows).
4. I've never owned a turbo-charged car and I get anxious when I think my car has an impending issue. The Oil dilution and direct injection build-up makes me slightly weary.
5. I hate chrome on my cars and though it has been mostly removed I do not like the chrome above the windows on the other models of the Civic.
6. I plan to buy an automatic car. I have no interest in getting a manual but I do like having paddle shifters just to play with every now and then.
7. Whenever I buy electronics I tend to buy the higher specced models because I don't want to regret it later on.
Sponsored

alic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Can't speak of the new gen cause it's not out yet.

I test drove both engine config before buying my current car. The 2.0 is awfully quiet, at both high speed, low speed, and moderate acceleration. The 1.5T is audibly louder during acceleration. It's sort of a low growl that I didn't like at first (also didn't realize until after the purchase) but just got used to now. It's likely the intake noise because it has a turbo. I only got the 1.5T cause the 2.0 I wanted wasn't available on the lot.

Acceleration wise I can't really comment since I test drove the cars on different days. If I had to say, the 1.5T is probably faster. But the 2.0 is definitely enough. I can comfortably get to highway speed on both engines. It's a CVT so you won't really feel the sudden jerk when flooring on a manual or auto trans.

If you plan to mod the car, you should probably go with 1.5T as there are more mods and tunes available than the 2.0. I think KTuner only has 1 tune for the 2.0 but 4 for the 1.5T. 1.5T would also have more potential. E.g. you can get to 200HP on the 1.5T much easier than the 2.0. 1.5T also has stronger transmission to take on the extra hp.

If you can't wait till next month to find out the differences, go to a dealer and test drive the 2021 models. The engines are basically the same as the new gen, with the 1.5T has slightly lower hp/torque.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
I got 2.0L loaners twice when I had my Sport hatch, I didn't even realize it wasn't the 1.5T. Once I realized, then you could tell, it doesn't have the oomph of torque, but otherwise drives pretty similar.

I don't really worry about turbo engines these days especially from Honda. Would have no issue keeping one 150k miles. My hatch had 88k miles, never an issue, though MPG drops over time, about 2mpg worse by 88k miles.

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
In terms of the oil dilution and such with the 1.5T, it’s overblown. There’s owners with $150k miles on their turbo Civics now with now issues. Powertrain reliability is pretty good. For a daily, the 2.0 is probably enough, but a lot of people get remorse since the 1.5T has all the aftermarket support.

TypeSiR

First Name
Car Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, CTR, MX-5, Fit
Get a used/certified 10th-gen Touring or Sport Touring for the price of a new 11th-gen 2.0L Sport. But wait a few months before buying as current used car prices are in a bubble.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
Get a used/certified 10th-gen Touring or Sport Touring for the price of a new 11th-gen 2.0L Sport. But wait a few months before buying as current used car prices are in a bubble.
You could be waiting a long time for that. Ask people waiting for real estate, college tuition or the stock market to come back down.

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
The 1.5T is a killer engine. It's got great low end torque and launches hard. At the same time it gets killer mileage on the highway. Best of both worlds. The 2.0 may beat it in long term durability, due to the lack of a turbo, but you are going to have to drive a LOT of miles to realize that advantage, if it ever shows.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
One thing I love about the 1.5T is you can took around in 6th on the highway and don’t even have to downshift to pass, it’s an amazing engine. I also love how it revs nicely to 6500 rpm and sounds happy doing it, unlike some other small turbos.
Sponsored