• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Type R owner age?

machimself

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I’ll be 38 in a week. FL5 seems like the perfect car for people our age. Best FWD car in the world, family friendly, and likely right around $40k… how do you beat that?! I’m first on the list at my dealer, albeit a smallish one, but my hope is to trade my 22’ Si (an amazing vehicle itself) for an FL5 and keep it as a hand me down to my twins in ~10 years.
Sponsored

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
I’ll be 38 in a week. FL5 seems like the perfect car for people our age. Best FWD car in the world, family friendly, and likely right around $40k… how do you beat that?! I’m first on the list at my dealer, albeit a smallish one, but my hope is to trade my 22’ Si (an amazing vehicle itself) for an FL5 and keep it as a hand me down to my twins in ~10 years.
That is a great plan! If you can get it anywhere near MSRP, a no brainer.

Toprarnen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IS350
Hell of a hand me down. I had a Highlander to start (very grateful for it), and now I've got another hand me down (IS350). The Type R will be the first car I've truly chosen for myself.

machimself

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
That is a great plan! If you can get it anywhere near MSRP, a no brainer.
Locked in at $5k above MSRP, but my dealer sold me the Si at MSRP, so I’m thinking I’ll leverage the trade-in, repeat business, and agree to buy some accessories and maybe extended warranty instead of paying $5k for nothing, hope they go for it 🤷‍♂️

citrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CZ4A, Abarth 500, ZZW30, ND2 RF
I'm 29, but who knows how old I'll be when we actually get an FL5 lol

Civic Type R is my wife's dream car, always has been. I didn't like the FK8 so much, but I've learned about it over the last few months, and even now it's kinda growing on me. Neither of us ever had a chance to properly learn stick before, so this will be an exciting journey for us.

My only hesitation is that I have an injury in my left leg that causes me a lot of pain when I lift it repeatedly at certain angles. My wife is helping me work it out and I hope it won't be a problem, but worst case scenario, we'll just fit hand controls for the clutch or something.

Last edited:

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad to hear that, Let us know how it plays out when your car comes in. Hopefully sooner than later.

SnoopstaR

First Name
Snoop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
I'm going to be 47. Have had multiple sports cars over the years.
Love the styling of the FL5, the practicality and hope to have this car that I will cherish for a long time. Ticks all boxes.
Loved the integra type r I spotted when younger and this reminds me of it.

Pekingduck

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
An M2 will be easier and more fun to get sideways, and is very controllable and easy to catch on a drift - if you know what you are doing.
Brilliant car - but still not nearly as good a daily driver as the Honda, and over time will cost you more than the Honda- and not just up front.

The Type R is very good at keeping you out of trouble if you get it really wrong- cough- hit loose sand-cough.. Driver's seat is one of the best I have sat in. Seating position works well for me - less upright, more sports car. you sit in it, not on it. It is a scalpel, not really about breaking traction at every opportunity. Braking is easy to moderate, minimal fade, and stops yesterday. Steering has feel, responds well, and is accurate. Grip is insane. It will teach you to be a better driver - but it won't try and kill you while you're learning.

Even though it is a front wheel drive car - I can get my Type R to rotate in a turn. And only on a few occasions has it exhibited any torque steer at all, and very little at that.

Versus a Mazda Speed 3 where its 280 foot lbs. of torque through the front wheels had you accidentally changing lanes every time you hit the gas. Amusing, but no thank you.

My take on the math up:

M2 Advantages:

RWD for going sideways. Controllably in this case. An extra 100 hp. So faster. Better sounding engine and exhaust - a low bar, that. Conservative styling. Brand cache, if you care about that crap, which you probably don't. More luxurious? Not much. Except the back seat is no doubt nicer, except if you have legs. Honda cheaped out on the rear seats in the Type R - but at least you can fit back there comfortably.
Easier to get in and out of than the Type R. (Actually, the Type R is not that hard to get into, getting out is more work.)

M2 Disadvantages:

MSRP over $ 60 K before options and any ADM. About 3" less rear legroom-ahh, let 'em suffer. Only 13.5 cubic feet of trunk space is barely adequate. The Honda has huge cargo space. I rarely use the back seat - but I use the cargo space regularly. 500 more pounds of Bavarian pork compared to the Type R. Higher cost for parts, repairs, insurance, gas, etc. Resale on the M2 is strong - but it is even stronger for the Type R. Also, far more likely to swap ends than the Honda.

Mind you, I have owned one BMW, driven many others, and certainly have a soft spot for BMW's. Okay, not all of them, but a lot of them.
So not a hater or a brand fan boy - every car has to stand on its own merits.

The answer is obvious of course - buy what you like. If I was totally rational I might have kept my Civic SI and saved the extra cost of the FK8, but...

...life is short, eat dessert first. The Type R is dessert - but it is a very healthy desert that even doubles as a full meal.
Currently have g80 m3 and I found it to much handful at the track due to torque coming from low in the rpm has to control gas pedal more. I think the type r will be easier to handle at limits. I think the running cost of type r will be better and just getting times down. The m2 will just be fun to step out the rear and curb appeal.

VPMotors

First Name
Vivek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2002 Honda CR-V
I'm 22 about to turn 23. Thankfully I can afford this car because of my engineering degree and job but the dealer markups I'm hearing just makes me reconsider my options as I'm still in that student mindset of not spending money on unnecessary stuff, which ADM falls in the category of. I guess my age plays a role in here as well; it's my first time buying a new car and I want a fun+practical one but not too expensive (above 50k is expensive for me), hence the Type R ticks all my boxes but only at MSRP or maybe at most at 5k over.

citrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CZ4A, Abarth 500, ZZW30, ND2 RF
I'm 22 about to turn 23. Thankfully I can afford this car because of my engineering degree and job but the dealer markups I'm hearing just makes me reconsider my options as I'm still in that student mindset of not spending money on unnecessary stuff, which ADM falls in the category of. I guess my age plays a role in here as well; it's my first time buying a new car and I want a fun+practical one but not too expensive (above 50k is expensive for me), hence the Type R ticks all my boxes but only at MSRP or maybe at most at 5k over.
Well, the good thing about buying an FL5 young is that you can really own it forever, and it'll take care of you for a long time. Of course, having a car that's so well-rounded might make experiencing other cars down the roader harder to justify.

Last edited:

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good luck on that. On the FK8, it took me buying a two year old model to get a reasonable price, or even a test drive. Given the current car shortages, let alone the FL5 limits, you will need to search far and wide to get one anywhere near MSRP, or even get one at all.
There were a few dealers who did not gouge on the FK8 - hopefully they have the same policy on the FL5. It might be worth giving them a deposit and waiting a little extra to save the markup.
Not sure who they were/are, but the info is in one or more of the threads.
Good luck! Hope you get your Honda.

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
And then there are the interest rates, which even with prime credit are crazy high.