• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

citrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CZ4A, Abarth 500, ZZW30, ND2 RF
We should read too much into TH lap times done a year apart anyway. It beat the Golf R on the same day, that’s impressive.
That's true. In the end, I think Toyota was aiming for a car built within a budget to land within a target performance envelope, and I think they nailed it on that front. More options with similar price and performance forces each one to differentiate themselves through their character, and that's always more fun for enthusiasts imo.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
The GRC beat the FK8 LE around Throttle Houses track with inferior tires and suspension & destroyed the MK8 golf R manual. If anything I think they over delivered.

Am I missing something? I don't think the GR Yaris beat the FK8 let alone the LE on any track (could be wrong here). Weight means nothing (execution means everything), if it did the R35 GTR wouldn't have smashed all the supercars in its release generation.
Yeah, you’re missing the fact that a 2022 model is being compared to a 2017. It’s not like 5 years makes any difference whatsoever in the automotive space lol

And yes, weight does mean everything. You can’t cheat physics. Modern tech can dial out some of the excess weight, but it can never truly hide it. The 400 lbs of added weight is a shit ton. Just wait for direct driving comparisons of GRY and GRC to come out and you’ll see.

Also, just because the GTR smashed some supercars doesn’t make it God in the handling department since many of the supercars it smashed handled like shit to begin with.

You’re focusing on lap times, which is fine. Something I care least about. Some of us are more concerned with the way a car drives, communicates, and responds.

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
Yeah, you’re missing the fact that a 2022 model is being compared to a 2017. It’s not like 5 years makes any difference whatsoever in the automotive space lol

And yes, weight does mean everything. You can’t cheat physics. Modern tech can dial out some of the excess weight, but it can never truly hide it. The 400 lbs of added weight is a shit ton. Just wait for direct driving comparisons of GRY and GRC to come out and you’ll see.

Also, just because the GTR smashed some supercars doesn’t make it God in the handling department since many of the supercars it smashed handled like shit to begin with.

You’re focusing on lap times, which is fine. Something I care least about. Some of us are more concerned with the way a car drives, communicates, and responds.
I'm comparing what is available, time of reference against what generation of vehicle is available to compare against is meaningless. If a EP3 was the standard and the market leader of the segment I will always refer to the current benchmark. This is how benchmarking works. Not sure why time or age matters in this case and scope.

Weight doesn't mean anything when you have measurable statistics that prove otherwise. I measure against KPIs not subjective fluff like "feel".

I get your point, but when you use an analytical mindset to evaluate performance the ends justify the means. Physics isn't something that matters if you end result states the opposite.

Power to weight has already been proven to be irrelevant as a measure by the GTR. Handling is only one part of the overall equation. It's not the be all end all of performance. Just look at where the model 3 perf lands on the TH leaderboard. Hell even the red eye.

With that said, I'm not saying a heavy ass pig with a rocket attached is the pinicle of driving perfection. I'm just saying weight is meaningless in the eyes of "results".

Last edited:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I loved the styling on the 10th gen Type R, I would go Wow when I saw one.
I walked past a GR Yaris in Taiwan and was like “wow” with the huge wide rear end, it looks like a rally car. I don’t like the GRY in pictures but in person it has presence.

Not sure about the mild new R, will have to see it in person.
I had the same reaction. I saw the GRY for the first time on my trip to Japan 2 years ago and it blew me away. Love that car. It looked extremely aggressive in person. Like a very bespoke car, which it is.

To me, the GRC is a huge disappointment in the looks department. It has too much Corolla hatch going on on the inside and outside, which I’m not a fan of.

In order of want, I would take:

GRY > CTR > … > GRC

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
I had the same reaction. I saw the GRY for the first time on my trip to Japan 2 years ago and it blew me away. Love that car. It looked extremely aggressive in person. Like a very bespoke car, which it is.

To me, the GRC is a huge disappointment in the looks department. It has too much Corolla hatch going on on the inside and outside, which I’m not a fan of.

In order of want, I would take:

GRY > CTR > … > GRC
The GRY doesn't supepass the FK8.... in anyway except for having AWD imo and that advantage. It's inferior in almost every aspect of being a car and performance wise.

IMO atleast.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm comparing what is available, time of reference against what generation of vehicle is available to compare against is meaningless. If a EP3 was the standard and the market leader of the segment I will always refer to the current benchmark. This is how benchmarking works. Not sure why time or age matters in this case and scope.

Weight doesn't mean anything when you have measurable statistics that prove otherwise. I measure against KPIs not subjective fluff like "feel".

I get your point, but when you use an analytical mindset to evaluate performance the ends justify the means. Physics isn't something that matters if you end result states the opposite.
Sounds like someone who’s never driven a lightweight, nimble car like a Miata, S2K, or an e30.

According to your logic, anybody with the above-listed cars should upgrade to a new Camry because it would actually set better lap times around most fast tracks, despite being a shit ton heavier.

I can assure you that many of us buy cars for the feel and not the lap times.

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
Sounds like someone who’s never driven a lightweight, nimble car like a Miata, S2K, or an e30.

According to your logic, anybody with the above-listed cars should upgrade to a new Camry because it would actually set better lap times around most fast tracks, despite being a shit ton heavier.

I can assure you that many of us buy cars for the feel and not the lap times.
I don't drive slow cars, weight doesn't matter to me. It can be heavy or light. Weight is just a Stat line.

I mean you can have you "feel" cars. Doesn't change the fact that they are slow in a straight line, on track etc.

You're so hung up on weight it's LOL. I'll take a turbo S over your s2k or miata anyday.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The GRY doesn't supepass the FK8.... in anyway except for having AWD imo and that advantage. It's inferior in almost every aspect of being a car and performance wise.

IMO atleast.
It doesn’t surpass it in your view.

It actually feels much lighter on its feet and significantly more responsive as a result. And I don’t even care about AWD. Have you driven both?

GRY is an incredibly well sorted chassis. I personally find the FK8 feels a little bit more raw and communicative. The only thing I don’t like about the GRY is the somewhat numb steering feel. But the light weight is immediately noticeable.

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
It doesn’t surpass it in your view.

It actually feels much lighter on its feet and significantly more responsive as a result. And I don’t even care about AWD. Have you driven both?

GRY is an incredibly well sorted chassis. I personally find the FK8 feels a little bit more raw and communicative. The only thing I don’t like about the GRY is the somewhat numb steering feel. But the light weight is immediately noticeable.
Sure I mean everyone can have a preference. Doesn't change the fact that the Fk8 will pull car lengths on the GRY on a roll, leave it in the dust on the ring and carry more things people and be more comfortable while doing so.

It's superior in EVERY way lol that is measurable except for fluffy shit like,"feel".

The feeling I get gapping a GRY in a FK8 is all the feel I would every need lol.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't drive slow cars, weight doesn't matter to me. It can be heavy or light. Weight is just a Stat line.

I mean you can have you "feel" cars. Doesn't change the fact that they are slow in a straight line, on track etc.

You're so hung up on weight it's LOL. I'll take a turbo S over your s2k or miata anyday.
Likewise, you can have your “fast on track” cars. Doesn’t change the fact that they are heavy, un-engaging, drive like poop, and boring as a result.

Man, why are you even here? - Shouldn’t you be scouting the Hellcat/M3 forums instead? 😂

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
Likewise, you can have your “fast on track” cars. Doesn’t change the fact that they are heavy, un-engaging, drive like poop, and boring as a result.

Man, why are you even here? - Shouldn’t you be scouting the Hellcat/M3 forums instead? 😂
Because this is a FL5 forum, where I am praising the FK8 while you are saying the GRY is the next coming of Jesus christ?

Aren't you technically the person that is lost and on the wrong forum LMAO. I don't think you really thought this comment out very well my friend...

And to you point. You can enjoy you car however you want lol. Doesn't mean you wouldnt get your ass handed to you.

I guess some people just like losing 99% of the time as long as they are enjoying the ass kicking HAHHAA.

I on the other hand would prefer not to lose in a shitbox if possible haha.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Because this is a FL5 forum, where I am praising the FK8 while you are saying the GRY is the next coming of Jesus christ?

Aren't you technically the person that is lost and on the wrong forum LMAO. I don't think you really thought this comment out very well my friend...

And to you point. You can enjoy you car however you want lol. Doesn't mean you would get your ass handed to you.

I guess some people just like losing 99% of the time as long as they are enjoying the ass kicking HAHHAA.
Wow. Just wow. 🤦‍♂️

You must really hate yourself.