• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Is anyone backpedaling from Type R to an Si?

blinkme323

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model Y Performance
Hello - I currently drive a Model Y Performance along with a Fit as our third car/beater (wife has Model Y SR). That said, I've been hankering for a fun, MT weekend car, so I was planning on trading the Fit in for a CTR. However, with the crazy ADM nonsense and wait times, I've been wondering if it would be worth it just pocketing the extra 20k and getting an Si instead. Anyone in a similar boat and/or can comment on the Si? I know it is almost apples to oranges but the Si still seems like it would be a fun ride.

TIA
Sponsored

alhounos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si - Sold, Tesla Model 3
I have had my 2022 Si for a year now and I love it. No plans to get rid of it anytime soon.

Obviously the Type R is another level of performance and coolness but even at MSRP it is $15,000 or 50% more expensive than the Si. And as we all know, realistically youre paying at least $10,000 markup in this market for a Type R, so it's almost the price of TWO Si's.

The way I'd put it, is the Type R is for the absolute fanatic. Like the person who has been following every Type R info leak and spy shot for the past three years. The person who has a Honda logo coffee mug on their desk right now. The person who already has their track wheels and tire setup on order.

The Si is for the person who loves the Type R but also has other hobbies, or a family to support, or really just doesn't live that Type R lifestyle every moment. The best thing about the Si is that it has all the practicality and economy of a regular Civic, but with a nice dose of fun on top. It is a fun choice and a sensible choice at the same time.

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 #1348 (Sold), FL5 #682
I had a Model Y Performance as well, and I've traded that in in no time flat!
if you "dangle" the MYP trade in front of them, you will have their ears :)
The reason is they can sell the Model Y in 1 day;
in fact, there has to be a manager at the dealer waiting for a Model Y from Tesla.

if you try to trade in the Fit, they will definitely low ball you...reason is simple, they sell new Fits all day long, so they need not take in a used Fit, unless price is really low.

Also,
every auto maker is working on EV, so soon the EV market will be saturated and prices for EV will come down, with a lot more selection to chose from.

In my case, ADM was $20k, until I told my salesmen, "I can only afford $10k over , but I am ready to trade in my Tesla Model Y tonight." he then asked me a few more question regarding the Model Y, then ask me how soon I can get in the dealer. It turns out (one week later) my finance guy's wife ended up with my Model Y.

if you have issues getting the attention of the sales/sales manager, try the above...
But you'll have to circle back for another EV. I currently have a Cyber truck reservation, but that ain't for 3-years.

anyways, just a little BS for your Tuesday morning reading pleasure :)

Gillie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBP FL5
I had a Model Y Performance as well, and I've traded that in in no time flat!
if you "dangle" the MYP trade in front of them, you will have their ears :)
The reason is they can sell the Model Y in 1 day;
in fact, there has to be a manager at the dealer waiting for a Model Y from Tesla.

if you try to trade in the Fit, they will definitely low ball you...reason is simple, they sell new Fits all day long, so they need not take in a used Fit, unless price is really low.

Also,
every auto maker is working on EV, so soon the EV market will be saturated and prices for EV will come down, with a lot more selection to chose from.

In my case, ADM was $20k, until I told my salesmen, "I can only afford $10k over , but I am ready to trade in my Tesla Model Y tonight." he then asked me a few more question regarding the Model Y, then ask me how soon I can get in the dealer. It turns out (one week later) my finance guy's wife ended up with my Model Y.

if you have issues getting the attention of the sales/sales manager, try the above...
But you'll have to circle back for another EV. I currently have a Cyber truck reservation, but that ain't for 3-years.

anyways, just a little BS for your Tuesday morning reading pleasure :)
Off topic, but how do you like the CTR compared to the MYP? I recently drove the MYP and couldn't believe how fast it accelerated. It's dizzyingly fast lol.

Negitoro7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Winter beater currently
I have a deposit down for a Type R, as a do-it-all fun manual car that stirs the soul for me.

But if it was for a second, weekend car AND I couldn’t get the Type R, I would definitely get a new Miata or GR86 over the Si.

OP
OP

blinkme323

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model Y Performance
Off topic, but how do you like the CTR compared to the MYP? I recently drove the MYP and couldn't believe how fast it accelerated. It's dizzyingly fast lol.
I can't compare mine to the CTR like the other poster obviously, but it is absolutely bonkers to drive. You will not find anything else on the road with that type of raw acceleration. We also have solar, so the free charging is nice :) That said I miss rowing the gears, so the CTR would be a perfect garage mate (or the Si maybe). That is my fact finding mission, lol.

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I love it...it's quick and efficient, but just not too much character...but there are also 5 on my block :)
Absolutely a great car tho...the autopilot that comes with the car is already pretty dang good (which is the part I missed the most about the Model Y). I have nothing against the Model Y; just wanted the FL5 more...

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
anyone looking to get an Si. Seems like stealerships are marking them up while the integra is going for msrp. Teg is a better buy with a much better stereo, seats, gauges and parking sensors.

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
anyone looking to get an Si. Seems like stealerships are marking them up while the integra is going for msrp. Teg is a better buy with a much better stereo, seats, gauges and parking sensors.
how much more tho...only a few grand?

KidIcarus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FXT
I love it...it's quick and efficient, but just not too much character...but there are also 5 on my block :)
Absolutely a great car tho...the autopilot that comes with the car is already pretty dang good (which is the part I missed the most about the Model Y). I have nothing against the Model Y; just wanted the FL5 more...
Whoa there are 5 FL5's on your block? or 5 CTRs?

KidIcarus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FXT
Hello - I currently drive a Model Y Performance along with a Fit as our third car/beater (wife has Model Y SR). That said, I've been hankering for a fun, MT weekend car, so I was planning on trading the Fit in for a CTR. However, with the crazy ADM nonsense and wait times, I've been wondering if it would be worth it just pocketing the extra 20k and getting an Si instead. Anyone in a similar boat and/or can comment on the Si? I know it is almost apples to oranges but the Si still seems like it would be a fun ride.

TIA
Seeing as you've got 2 dailies and a beater, have you considered anything specifically performance oriented and less "practical" ie; Supra, Miata, or GR86 (closer to SI price range, also available at MSRP)?

OP
OP

blinkme323

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model Y Performance
Seeing as you've got 2 dailies and a beater, have you considered anything specifically performance oriented and less "practical" ie; Supra, Miata, or GR86 (closer to SI price range, also available at MSRP)?
I've considered it, but I have two little ones, so having a backseat option is nice. I may have to revisit the 86 though since it has at least some semblance of a back seat.

Modular Cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 #581, 04 GSX-R600
The SI was one of my fallbacks if the CTR was out of the cards, but there were a handful of cars I would have picked over it first. Nothing bad about the Si, but for my purposes specifically, it wasn't as much towards the top.
Sponsored