Sponsored

18K Miles In: Quality-of-Life Mods That Made My FL5 Even Better

JCZ5

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2023
Threads
3
Messages
109
Reaction score
111
Location
Philly / NYC
Vehicle(s)
FL5
I’ve had my FL5 since new for about 15 months now and just crossed 17.5K miles. Over that time I’ve made a few QoL mods that have made me enjoy the car even more!

Mods:
  1. ITS damper module (installed day 1 of getting the car)
  2. Acuity stage 3 kit (complete acuity shifter assembly swap + shifter cable bushing upgrade)
  3. Accord auto-dimming rear view mirror w/ homelink
  4. Various interior and rear reverse LED light upgrades
The FL5 was already incredibly enjoyable to drive, and one of the main reasons I bought it was the shifter. The Acuity setup made it even better. I kept the adjustments pretty close to stock, but it added a little more resistance and made each shift feel even more mechanical and deliberate.

Even compared to Porsche GT cars, the shifter feel is surprisingly close, and in normal daily driving, I actually prefer the FL5’s. Obviously they’re very different cars, but the Acuity equipped FL5 genuinely gives me a bit of that same satisfying mechanical sensation. I jokingly think of it as my “Porsche GT Lite” from a shifter-feel standpoint, which is a huge compliment to the FL5.

Also, the auto-dimming rearview mirror w/ homelink, although small, was such a great upgrade as I drive a lot at night. With fall and winter coming and days getting darker earlier, this has been great. Honestly surprised Honda did not even offer this as an option. Still annoying that the side-mirrors are not auto-dimming.

As for the ITS damper module, I almost exclusively leave it in comfort and very surprised how livable it has been over poor road surfaces.

Lastly, the rear LED reverse taillight upgrade really adds extra lumens when backing up compared to stock.

Overall, still incredibly impressed by the FL5, It's fun at sane speeds, practical and has enough character that I genuinely enjoy driving it compared to the other cars in the garage. If anything, it has reinforced for me how much fun a hot hatch / “slower” car can be when you can actually use more of it on the street. Only negative is other younger guys wanting to race me or pull aggressive stunts :).

I know there are quite a few other Porsche owners here who have ended up with an FL5 as a daily, and I completely understand why.

...and after saying all of that, my needs have slowly started to change and I’m actually considering moving on from it.

Flame suit on: I’m seriously considering a Rivian R2, entering my "off-road" era 😂

I’m guessing FL5 → R2 might be a new comparison for this forum...

11th Gen Honda Civic 18K Miles In: Quality-of-Life Mods That Made My FL5 Even Better IMG_2045


11th Gen Honda Civic 18K Miles In: Quality-of-Life Mods That Made My FL5 Even Better 1a288928-3c88-40a3-9ed4-76322bc61f8c
 

blitz423

Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2026
Threads
5
Messages
43
Reaction score
32
Location
Orange County SoCal
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Type R
The acuity pedal spacer was an upgrade for me. It was hard to heel/toe blip throttle but with the spacer in position 'C' made it so much easier. If you like the auto-rev match then it would be pointless to install.
 

CTR

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Joined
Dec 3, 2015
Threads
17
Messages
871
Reaction score
1,015
Location
WA
Website
strixauto.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2020 GX460
I’m guessing FL5 → R2 might be a new comparison for this forum...
Nope. I'd rather get a Tacoma or Tundra.. 🤷‍♂️

Seriously I'd love to have an electric car as a daily but I'm not sure I would pick a Rivian as my first choice especially when I need to tow things occasionally.
 

chopsuey34

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2022
Threads
18
Messages
323
Reaction score
249
Location
West Michigan
Vehicle(s)
ex-Meta, ex-AWS, ex-2025 Honda Civic Si
I agree with your choices. I recently sold my Si, and these are the only mods I would have done in retrospect:

PRL RMM
Acuity Shifter
HPT WOT Performance Cooling Plate (PRL Intercooler if Cooling Plate isn’t enough)
Stock Wheels + 235/40/18 DWS06+ tires + Wheel spacers + extended studs
Auto-dimming rear view w/ Homelink is good, too

Watch out for the acuity pedal spacer. Yes, it does make it easier to heel-toe, but I hated it! It's a track-day only mod that makes your right shin always flexed. The position feels unnatural and uncomfortable. I removed after a day.
 

HOTCHKIS

Member
First Name
Edward
Joined
Apr 20, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
8
Reaction score
12
Location
Florida
Vehicle(s)
2025 Honda Civic Type R
I also have a 24 GT3 and a 25 Type R. I enjoy both of them for different reasons but the Type R is absolutely a bargain for what you pay for it, I didn’t pay an ADM for mine and without a doubt be a lifetime car for me. If I get tired of the crazy maintenance fees I’ll sell the Porsche
11th Gen Honda Civic 18K Miles In: Quality-of-Life Mods That Made My FL5 Even Better IMG_2563
11th Gen Honda Civic 18K Miles In: Quality-of-Life Mods That Made My FL5 Even Better IMG_2827
 


scottjua

Senior Member
First Name
Scott
Joined
Jan 4, 2019
Threads
4
Messages
140
Reaction score
64
Location
Plano, TX
Vehicle(s)
2025 CW FL5 Type R, 2019 SGP FK8 Type R
I agree with your choices. I recently sold my Si, and these are the only mods I would have done in retrospect:

PRL RMM
Acuity Shifter
HPT WOT Performance Cooling Plate (PRL Intercooler if Cooling Plate isn’t enough)
Stock Wheels + 235/40/18 DWS06+ tires + Wheel spacers + extended studs
Auto-dimming rear view w/ Homelink is good, too

Watch out for the acuity pedal spacer. Yes, it does make it easier to heel-toe, but I hated it! It's a track-day only mod that makes your right shin always flexed. The position feels unnatural and uncomfortable. I removed after a day.

I have the Acuity pedal spacer on our FK8 and my FL5, and I’ll agree in some degree.. It brings the pedal position to a better spot, but also TOO HIGH… or TOO CLOSE to the driver.

So what I did was mill (I have a lathe and mill at home per my business) the thickness down by about half an inch. It requires a very small relief cut in the bottom of the pedal base to accommodate the one stud sticking up a bit, but it’s not affecting the function, structure, or anything.

So after having done that I find it PERFECT.

I could always do that for others if wanted. IT’s a permanent mod, but for me it was the perfect solution.
 

zumbooruk

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2024
Threads
11
Messages
671
Reaction score
623
Location
Ventura CA
Vehicle(s)
2025 FL5, 2014 Chevy Suburban (wife), previous 2007 FA5
Very similar for me, yet I went a bit farther...

I learned about all these from fellow members here, so I am sharing my entire list:

ITS module on the first weekend, but then swapped it with the DSC active suspension control module, which is much better, even "supple" in comfort mode, yet firms up automagically

Acuity spacer, also in position C, no heel-toe for me without it

I opted for the Hybrid Racing short throw and bushings, Acuity shifter was not yet available at the time, and I had the Hybrid racing in my FA5 and loved it.

Adjusted clutch pedal for minimal free play, and recently removed clutch pedal spring

Mishimoto walnut shift knob with steel core (metal gets way too hot in SoCal)

PRL RMM

WOT cooling tray + Bad Ann LV front guard

Spacers between the hood and the drip tray to help drawing out hot air via the hood vent

PRL coolant expansion tank (just because it was sold by a forum member)

Removed the fake engine noise injector

Removed the spy module

Dual front/rear dash cams (saved me thousands with my previous car when the other driver attempted to lie)

TPMS with external sensors (it not easy for me to sense if one tire has a flat or leaking air, esp with such low profile tires.)

3D maxpider floor mats

Cheap black seat covers

Headrest/neck pad/pillow

Center console armrest pad

Inflatable lumbar support inserted from the back of the seat

Foam thingy between seat and center console, no more searching for dropped stuff

Trash bag mounted behind the center console, fairly easily reachable.

Phone mount by the center display

Suma side mirrors, the anti glare really helps at night

Blind spot mirror aimed at the rear wheel (in an attempt to avoid curb rush)

Door edge protection strip, sides and bottoms of doors

Mirror protector

Rokblokz rally mud flaps with fender vent mesh rock guard

Brake light flasher module

Ravelco ani-theft system

OBD port lock

Steering wheel to brake pedal lock

I still need to take off the front bumper and install the 27Won intake snorkel and the dual Hella horns

My only performance mods are Cobb intake and AccessPort with a custom tune by @JST Performance

I don't like auto dimming mirrors, and my gate and garage door open automagically as I approach via Tailwind (https://gotailwind.com)
 
Last edited:
OP
OP

JCZ5

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2023
Threads
3
Messages
109
Reaction score
111
Location
Philly / NYC
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Nope. I'd rather get a Tacoma or Tundra.. 🤷‍♂️

Seriously I'd love to have an electric car as a daily but I'm not sure I would pick a Rivian as my first choice especially when I need to tow things occasionally.
The new 6th gen 4Runner is also on my list. But I don't know about the 4 cylinder (even if hp and tq are higher). That is why I was thinking of electric since it does away with the cylinder argument

I also have a 24 GT3 and a 25 Type R. I enjoy both of them for different reasons but the Type R is absolutely a bargain for what you pay for it, I didn’t pay an ADM for mine and without a doubt be a lifetime car for me. If I get tired of the crazy maintenance fees I’ll sell the Porsche
IMG_2563.webp
IMG_2827.webp
I find that I hardly drive the GT3 anymore. Need to bring it out this weekend for sure!

I hope you fellas realize what a great car you have!
It really is a phenomenal driver. Went just for errands and was thinking to myself what a great driving experience!
 
OP
OP

JCZ5

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2023
Threads
3
Messages
109
Reaction score
111
Location
Philly / NYC
Vehicle(s)
FL5
@zumbooruk - amazing list of mods! Which front and rear dash cam setup did you get? And how easy was the suma side mirror install?
 


OP
OP

JCZ5

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2023
Threads
3
Messages
109
Reaction score
111
Location
Philly / NYC
Vehicle(s)
FL5
I will add one more thing I dislike about the car...with both windows down and off-throttle, I hear this metallic whine, like a very faint rocks in brake noise.

I took it to the shop twice and although the techs heard it, they cannot determine a fix. FYI it is not the turbo blow-off noise and nor do I have any rocks stuck in brakes.

Only happens off-throttle...
 

Montrix

Member
First Name
Andre
Joined
Jan 5, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
45
Reaction score
40
Location
Massachusetts
Vehicle(s)
2025 Type R SGP
I will add one more thing I dislike about the car...with both windows down and off-throttle, I hear this metallic whine, like a very faint rocks in brake noise.

I took it to the shop twice and although the techs heard it, they cannot determine a fix. FYI it is not the turbo blow-off noise and nor do I have any rocks stuck in brakes.

Only happens off-throttle...
Probably the wastegate actuator rattling, which is normal but very annoying at times
 
OP
OP

JCZ5

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2023
Threads
3
Messages
109
Reaction score
111
Location
Philly / NYC
Vehicle(s)
FL5
@Montrix - you are absolutely right! Watched this video to confirm.

Disappointed there is no fix for this, but thank you for confirming it is normal, although super annoying when I like to drive with the windows down.
 

HOTCHKIS

Member
First Name
Edward
Joined
Apr 20, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
8
Reaction score
12
Location
Florida
Vehicle(s)
2025 Honda Civic Type R
@JCZ5 I was considering selling the GT3 but then when I wind it out to 8600rpms I reconsider. The Type R really is amazing and 30+ mpg on the highway. Living in FL I always drive with the AC so haven't experienced what your hearing
 
OP
OP

JCZ5

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2023
Threads
3
Messages
109
Reaction score
111
Location
Philly / NYC
Vehicle(s)
FL5
@JCZ5 I was considering selling the GT3 but then when I wind it out to 8600rpms I reconsider. The Type R really is amazing and 30+ mpg on the highway. Living in FL I always drive with the AC so haven't experienced what your hearing
Yup, the GT3 is not going away...unless maybe a 992.2, but the price delta between the .1 and .2 is absolutely insane so perhaps keeping the .1 is a deal :lol:

Amazing to hear so many Porsche, let alone GT owners also owing FL5s.
Sponsored

 
 







Top