• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

administrator

Administrator
First Name
Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
By Car and Driver:

11th Gen Honda Civic 2022 Civic Type R Info & Rendering. Will Have Manual Transmission and Upgraded 2.0L Turbo Engine 2022-honda-civic-type-r-front

Artist's rendering of 2022 Civic Type R.

2022 Honda Civic Type R Will Be More Powerful and Look Less Crazy

Honda confirmed that the new hot hatch will have a manual, and it's likely to use an upgraded 2.0-liter turbo four.

December 7, 2020
  • Honda has confirmed that a new Civic Type R is coming, and this is what we know about it so far.
  • It's expected to be powered by a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder making more power, and a manual transmission will be standard.
  • We should hear more about the 11th-generation Civic Type R by the end of next year, and it should cost just under $40,000.
Honda gave us a glimpse at the 11th-generation Civic sedan as a prototype, confirming that it'll be available as sedan, hatchback, Si, and Type R models. We're most excited about the latter, not only because the current-gen Type R is one of our favorite hot hatches but because, as previewed by the 2020 sedan prototype, the new model will have a more mature appearance compared with the current model's more obnoxious, juvenile looks. And it should be more powerful.

That new look—much like the kid who returns from summer break having outgrown the braces, greasy hair, and zits—will mature, borrowing design cues from the Accord. And, because it will wear the coveted red "R" badge, it'll have added aero, 20-inch wheels, crepe-thin sidewalls, an obnoxious yet functional rear wing, rear diffuser, and multiple pipes out back. We're hoping for fewer fake air vents, though, which is likely. One thing is for sure: it will be a welcome improvement over the previous model, and maybe we'll actually want to be seen behind the wheel.

11th Gen Honda Civic 2022 Civic Type R Info & Rendering. Will Have Manual Transmission and Upgraded 2.0L Turbo Engine 2022-honda-civic-rear

Artist's rendering of 2022 Civic Type R.

The current-gen car is powered by a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder that spins up 306 horsepower and 295 lb-ft of torque that's sent to the front wheels through a standard six-speed manual transmission. And that's the only option. We expect that Honda will keep using the turbo four but make some tweaks to make more power, and we hope it has a better soundtrack. There have been rumors about a hybrid all-wheel-drive powertrain, but we think it's unlikely—at least at launch. Honda confirmed the Type R, as well as the Si, will retain three pedals, and the automaker didn't rule out a quick-shifting dual-clutch automatic transmission, either—something the Veloster N now has.

It'll use an evolution of the current car's chassis, which means we likely won't see a control-arm front suspension like the new TLX, but rather an improvement of the dual-axis strut front suspension. The new car's dimensions won't change much, either. Honda only stretched the 11th-generation car's wheelbase a little over an inch, and its height and width are unchanged. The prototype was shown sitting on a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports, likely the Si's new standard tire, while the Type R should get higher-performance rubber.

Also previewed on the prototype, the interior will be more upscale compared to the current car, which is adorned with fake carbon fiber, red trim, and other hard plastics. It'll have a digital gauge cluster along with a 9.0-inch central touchscreen with wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capability. But while the dashboard may look sleeker, we're still expecting the fake carbon-fiber trim to remain in the Type R. Honda added a classic aluminum teardrop-shaped shifter to the current car for 2020, so expect that to stick around.

The 2022 Honda Civic will arrive late next spring, and we could see the Type R by the end of the year or early 2022. Expect pricing to rise only slightly from the 2021 model's $38,450 starting price, staying just under $40,000.
Sponsored

Acura_CSX_4eva

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Acura Manual Transmission + Nav + Heated Leather
Wait, did they say that the SI will be available for the hatchback as well or just the sedan?

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
Wait, did they say that the SI will be available for the hatchback as well or just the sedan?
They haven't said anything about Si hatch yet. The disguised hatch did look like it could be an Si but hard to say, maybe a Sport.

If they make an Si hatch, or even a Sport Touring hatch with an LSD, I'll go trade my Si for it (2nd or 3rd model year). Maybe even a Type R if it has no moonroof again.

Viet_Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic EM1
The 11th gen is growing on me, especially if it looks anything close to that. I will still miss the coupe, though. :(
It's grown on me too. Especially like the rear styling. When are we expecting the 11th gen to hit the market?

Vic_L

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
They haven't said anything about Si hatch yet. The disguised hatch did look like it could be an Si but hard to say, maybe a Sport.

If they make an Si hatch, or even a Sport Touring hatch with an LSD, I'll go trade my Si for it (2nd or 3rd model year). Maybe even a Type R if it has no moonroof again.
I was really hoping there would've been a Si Hatch for the 10th Gen.
It really needed the LSD.

If they're going to bring an Si Hatch to the table, either manual or DCT, I'd trade my Sport Hatch.
(Though I really love the aggressive angles on the 10th Gen...gonna miss it if the day does come)

adc3132

@sheesh_and_destroy
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Touring
We're most excited about the latter, not only because the current-gen Type R is one of our favorite hot hatches but because, as previewed by the 2020 sedan prototype, the new model will have a more mature appearance compared with the current model's more obnoxious, juvenile looks. And it should be more powerful.

That new look—much like the kid who returns from summer break having outgrown the braces, greasy hair, and zits—will mature, borrowing design cues from the Accord. And, because it will wear the coveted red "R" badge, it'll have added aero, 20-inch wheels, crepe-thin sidewalls, an obnoxious yet functional rear wing, rear diffuser, and multiple pipes out back. We're hoping for fewer fake air vents, though, which is likely. One thing is for sure: it will be a welcome improvement over the previous model, and maybe we'll actually want to be seen behind the wheel.
11th Gen Honda Civic 2022 Civic Type R Info & Rendering. Will Have Manual Transmission and Upgraded 2.0L Turbo Engine Why would you say something so controversial yet so brave

Well then. Quite the opinionated article.

For real though, I think it's actually 50/50 or close to it. A lot of people love the over the top styling, and those that don't love it take every chance to hate on it... Case in point. While I do understand the lack of appeal to some, there can be more mature ways to say you don't like it instead of calling it obnoxious lol. Sure, I'm young, so maybe that's why I like it, but I've met plenty of older folks who love the styling of all the 10th gens including the R.

That being said... Even if the new one isn't as aggressive looking, there are plenty of examples of cars that don't look like much stock but with an aftermarket kit they go full racecar looks.

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor / 2019 CTR
Personally I hope they fix a lot of the issues that plagued the 10th gen.... Especially the packaging of the power unit. That aside, I agree with many on here that the Type R needs to stick with its extreme (albeit controversial) looks. I loved that about it. Let those who want a tamer looking car buy something else.

ElpacoSV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EJ6 ; Civic FK7G4
I hope they will offer more Interior trims colors and a light weight version for racing

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
NO MORE FAKE REAR VENTS! Finally. If they make an Si hatch I'm all in for trading out of my 20 CVT.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
It sounds more and more like the 11th gen Type R will be mechanically identical to the 10th Type R (just like the base 11th gen is mechanically identical to the base 10th gen). I think that's particularly disappointing because the 9th gen Type R also had the same power train.

ElpacoSV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EJ6 ; Civic FK7G4
It sounds more and more like the 11th gen Type R will be mechanically identical to the 10th Type R (just like the base 11th gen is mechanically identical to the base 10th gen). I think that's particularly disappointing because the 9th gen Type R also had the same power train.
I'm not surprised at all! Honda is optimizing the investment on this platform. I'm expecting a bump of 5 to 10 hp and +5lb of torque. Honda is a conservative company. Look at their past and you'll see what I'm saying.

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Unfortunately I think Honda is just kind of riding the wave until it starts to switch over to full hybridization/electrification. They're not going to dump tons of money into their current engines and just ride the current tech out for the next 5-6 years. Come time for the 12th gen Honda will have most likely started going electric and hybrid and we will start to possibly see new more interesting, more powerful and efficient gas/electric combinations. But this next generation of Honda's lineup (from civic up to pilot) will probably be mostly all carryover with minor tweaks until they start adding batteries. I do think that turbo+hybrid could have some interesting applications, especially in regards to performance. Sadly it seems, at least for the time being, Honda has put performance/enthusiast oriented products on the back burner focusing more on volume, crossovers, and just holding the current line until bigger changes are implemented.
Sponsored