• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
I was really confused with the last few pages of posts because it seemed like people were arguing with themselves but then I realized its because I set boostlags posts to "ignore" months ago. :cool:

Gotta love forum features.
Lol yeah, whenever I see hyper aggressive comments coming from nowhere or people randomly talking about VW or the GTI, I know why 😆

Every car community has someone like that 😂 It's literally a meme
Sponsored

ScumbagRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
We should just create a boostlag soundboard and randomly select from these 3 phrases, since they are just repeated over and over again anyway:

"This thing would get dusted by a Golf R or a lightly modded GTI"
"For 50k it needs to trap at least 110 MPH+ in the 1/4 mile - weak!"
"Only idiots who make shitty life choices pay ADM"

SP R KiD

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BB CTR, 2022 Honda CRV, 2022 Ford F150
We should just create a boostlag soundboard and randomly select from these 3 phrases, since they are just repeated over and over again anyway:

"This thing would get dusted by a Golf R or a lightly modded GTI"
"For 50k it needs to trap at least 110 MPH+ in the 1/4 mile - weak!"
"Only idiots who make shitty life choices pay ADM"
Yooooo lmaoooo make it and bring it to the meet up yall keep talking about

Y82OneTwoSix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR - 2022 MDX Type S Advance
For me, just the fact that the car didnt overheat like the FK8 did during Motortrend's testing at the track is enough for me to want a FL5 over the FK8. The whole overheating thing infuriated me and was a total buzz kill for the car.
I get that a very small percentage of FK8's overheated most of which were all track related, but for the majority of the U.S. owners who purchased 1 of the ~19,000+ 1st generation FK8's who did not track their vehicles that was not an issue and that includes myself who drove the crap out of my 2018 RR example without experiencing anything close to an overheating issue with all my driving done in the heat of South Carolina.

If overheating was such a serious issue for the ~48,000 examples that sold worldwide (including Canada) during those first 5 model years, I suggest that Honda would have had either a TSB issued or a recall of some sort in order to rectify an overheating issue and that did not happen unless I may have missed it?

At the end of the day did MotorTrend not award the 2018 CTR with their "Best Driver's Car Award" after all their track time evaluations, therefore overheating was certainly not an issue for them?

Last edited:

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
I get that a very small percentage of FK8's overheated most of which were all track related, but for the majority of the U.S. owners who purchased 1 of the ~19,000+ 1st generation FK8's who did not track their vehicles that was not an issue and that includes myself who drove the crap out of my 2018 RR example without experiencing anything close to an overheating issue with all my driving done in the heat of South Carolina.

If overheating was such a serious issue for the ~48,000 examples that sold worldwide (including Canada) during those first 5 model years, I suggest that Honda would have had either a TSB issued or a recall of some sort in order to rectify an overheating issue and that did not happen unless I may have missed it?
I think when they say overheating they are referring to a heat soaked intercooler. I know on my Teggy when it's warm out you notice a decent power drop.

Y82OneTwoSix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think when they say overheating they are referring to a heat soaked intercooler. I know on my Teggy when it's warm out you notice a decent power drop.
Understood but never experienced your issue when I owned my 2018 CTR and I drove in some real intense heat in the Southeast.

Apex Carver

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5-17224, ITR 01-1189, Elise, E61, 190E 2.3-16

At the end of the day did MotorTrend not award the 2018 CTR with their "Best Driver's Car Award" after all their track time evaluations, therefore overheating was certainly not an issue for them?

I personally know locally (including mine) that if these are tracked in anything above 75 degrees you have a max of two laps before limp mode kicks in and you have to drive back to the pits and let it cool down. Granted these are on tracks that don’t have huge long straightaways but in any case I think it’s unacceptable.

I’ve never had an issue on the street or an autocross environment (even with a dual driver car) so you’re correct there… just saying what my experience was on track which is an extreme environment but with this sort of car I’d expect it to be tracked.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica

They are not going to do a TSB for something that is a track relates issue lol.

lrk322

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R 2021
We kicked this around a bunch of times CD got different times with different cars over the years and rumor is the TH car had a tune. Nothing is proven until we start seeing owners post times.
Someone may already have replied, but TH said both cars were supplied by Honda in the video.

Geezer

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Someone may already have replied, but TH said both cars were supplied by Honda in the video.
The FK8 was a privately owned car that was a prior press car. Someone even linked the guys Instagram account.

Y82OneTwoSix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are not going to do a TSB for something that is a track relates issue lol.
That was exactly my point as a previously poster commented about how bad the heat soak/over heating issue was for the 1st Gen FK8's going into limp mode but was only a factor when attending HPDE's and not a factor otherwise.

On the other hand when looking at what Ford went through with center models fo the 2015 and 2016 GT350's that were not equipped with transmission and differential coolers and went into limp mode on the track, it did not take Ford long to make a transmission and differential cooler as standard equipment come the 2017 MY.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Not to make too fine a point of it, but way back when times for FK8's were the topic of the day...Car and Driver had the 0-60 for the FK8 at only 4.9sec.
And just 99 feet to stop from 60 mph. And only 142 feet from 70 mph!
Your mileage may vary.

Speaking of which, I get 26.7 mpg combined. Even with some spirited driving thrown in. Usually over 30 mpg if I grandmother it around and am not going uphill. Point being, better than Honda's claimed 25 mpg combined.

Given the Log R on the FL5, you would think early buyers would have posted some numbers, though.

And you would also think that a new time for the 'Ring would for sure have shown up by now, right?
All I have seen results for is Suzuka.

The comment by Max Verstappen during a (TH? SP?) video that the FL5 had less understeer than the previous gen. That observation from a top F1 driver is worth more to me than a collection of inconsistent test numbers performed by different people under different conditions.

bushfreakz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SI, FK8
As far as heat soak issues.. I think one of the probs is adding a bigger intercooler. It will remove a lot more heat from your air charge and that heated air goes through the radiator thus reducing its effectiveness. meanwhile your car is working harder cause it has the cooler air to bump the HP.

now replace the radiator and now you need to find a way to get even more heat out of the bay.. its a fun game of cat n mouse lol.. i think this is why the hood vents over the turbos are so effective

BoostblueFL5

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Type R, Subaru BRZ
don't care for 0-60 for a fwd car but trap speeds matter. Thing is this car couldn't pull on a 240hp GTI is kinda lame.
Drive the best slow car fast is better than driving a fast car slow. LOL 😆
FL5 is about the best refinement of shifting and JDM reliability from Honda Racing.
One of the best front wheel drive track car from the showroom floor.

Sazabi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ
@B34R posted this on the review thread. How about this for a comparison?
Sponsored