• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
Was listening to a YouTuber named Kirk Kreifels and he made a small claim on his most recent upload that the Type R would be revealed soon and that is going to be in California, sounded like he was going to be there for it…still pretty vague, but sounds like we are starting to hear from multiple places, that the full reveal is coming soon.

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
And are you planning on upgrading from your FK8 to the 2023?
Would be cool to see a continuation of that article, from AP1 S2K to FK8 to FL2?
As of now, no. Unless there is something substantial that we haven't heard about yet. Not keen about the bloated front end and the lack of the normal front to rear rake on the side beltline. Doesn't seem like there will be meaningful power upgrades either. And honestly, don't want to deal with or waste time and energy trying to find a reasonable dealer with a fair price.

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
As of now, no. Unless there is something substantial that we haven't heard about yet. Not keen about the bloated front end and the lack of the normal front to rear rake on the side beltline. Doesn't seem like there will be meaningful power upgrades either. And honestly, don't want to deal with or waste time and energy trying to find a reasonable dealer with a fair price.
Yeah, I hear ya, everyone definitely has their opinions regarding this new body style. I personally like it…the FK8, like the FK2 before it, just seemed to veer away from the previous Civic Type Rs and Integra Type Rs, that in my opinion, were not about wild body styling.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
And are you planning on upgrading from your FK8 to the 2023?
Would be cool to see a continuation of that article, from AP1 S2K to FK8 to FL5?
Agreed. This would be awesome.

In short, what I want to know is if the new CTR is a step forward or backward in terms of driver engagement. I’m dying to find out how they sorted out the new chassis, including steering input and overall driver involvement.

Performance figures like straight line acceleration are probably the least relevant metric to me. In fact, after owning some fast cars for a few decades, I’d say slower is better.

What I really care to know is how planted and agile it feels (for a sedan). Despite being an apples-to-oranges comparison, the S2000 is still a good reference point. A car can be heavier and bigger, but still retain a lot of that fun factor and involvement.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
If the performance aspect of the new model is significant enough, I'd consider upgrading. I'm one of those that have never really loved the looks of the current gen (I own it because of how it drives), and would also consider upgrading if the aesthetics of the new model are desirable to me.

Ultimately though, I suspect that lack of reasonable availability will make the decision for me. The new car market is significantly worse than what it was a few years ago when an FK8 could be had at MSRP with enough hunting around. I've called all of the dealers on the east coast that were previously known to sell at MSRP or close to (including the dealer that I purchased mine from) and none of them were willing to commit to it this time around. At this point, I'm not keen to continue wasting my time.

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
If the performance aspect of the new model is significant enough, I'd consider upgrading. I'm one of those that have never really loved the looks of the current gen (I own it because of how it drives), and would also consider upgrading if the aesthetics of the new model are desirable to me.

Ultimately though, I suspect that lack of reasonable availability will make the decision for me. The new car market is significantly worse than what it was a few years ago when an FK8 could be had at MSRP with enough hunting around. I've called all of the dealers on the east coast that were previously known to sell at MSRP or close to (including the dealer that I purchased mine from) and none of them were willing to commit to it this time around. At this point, I'm not keen to continue wasting my time.
Yeah, it sure is a catch 22.

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Yeah, I hear ya, everyone definitely has their opinions regarding this new body style. I personally like it…the FK8, like the FK2 before it, just seemed to veer away from the previous Civic Type Rs and Integra Type Rs, that in my opinion, were not about wild body styling.
I actually like the front ends of the FK8, FK2, and AP1/AP2 (S2000), with Honda's signature "slanted headlights" look. I just think "Honda" when I see those headlights. The new CTR (as seen dead-on from the front) reminds me of the old Skylines with the straight and wide headlights (not that that is a bad thing).

The new car doesn't look bad. But if they tidied up the front and made it sharper, designed in the natural rake angle in the side beltline instead of having it run parallel to the ground, and made the overall length of the car a touch shorter, it would look great IMO. I usually like to go for the final model year in any given generation, so I'll have 4-5 years to decide. Who knows lol.

Last edited:

TimeRacer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Prelude
At least there's some actual insider/reps that are actually giving dates and not random snippets from anonymous internet rumors which get constantly posted. July 20th seems like a weird date though if the California part is correct there's no major road race event I'm aware of to tie it to (NTT Indy is at an Ohio oval that weekend, TC America is at Watkins Glenn). With no race weekend to tie it in with I'm surprised it would be released on a Wednesday but who knows how much fanfare they're going to make besides a unveil. The CTR is getting a very different treatment than what Acura did with the Integra which got a full animated story, F1 driver marketing and a bunch more than just the random pictures and independently captured track video the CTR is getting though that said the Integra is going to outsell the CTR 6:1.

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I honestly don't get the whole thing with covering up the car for this long. Any downsides far outweigh the benefits at this point, even for Honda. Let's see. Honda has been selling the 11th generation hatch so people already know what the general shape looks like (the CTR will look a little more aggressive duh). They are so close to release that other manufacturers can't lift this design and beat them to market, not that it looks particularly beautiful or anything. Potential buyers who are cross-shopping this new CTR and trying to gather as much information about the cars on their short list may get fed up and run to the competition out of spite/principle/frustration. Or if they are in immediate need of a new car, if the buyer likes the new CTR specs, maybe he/she can tough it out and might be willing to wait a few more months for the release. Information is useful for customers to make proper decisions.

So then what are the advantages of concealing and obscuring the car's details? To have maximum fanfare on reveal day? Doubtful. All of the pent-up annoyance and resentment would have damped most of the enthusiasm on the big day anyway, especially if the improvements end up being negligible, it will just piss people off even more, that they had to wait so long for something minor. All of this secrecy just irritates and annoys their potential customers. Beginning to think it's just prideful arrogance on their part at this point, at least mainly. Stupid.
Sponsored

Last edited: