• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

addakatlahemanth

First Name
Hemanth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Shenango Honda in Hermitage, PA had a Rally Red in transit for 8K over when I spoke to them about 10 days ago.

Couldn't get them down to 5k which is the most I'm trying to spend but maybe somebody else will have better luck.Would have mentioned it earlier but I was still talking with sales early last week.
Try Covington Honda in virginia
Sponsored

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
Hi - I'm new here, so please forgive if I say something out of line.

We recently looked at a 2023 CTR in a dealer showroom, and something came up that impacts all car purchases, so I wanted to get your opinions, please. Like so many of you, this dealer was requiring a paint protection package. The one they were requiring used both an internal and external process. We read up on it online, and some people were saying that it shouldn't be applied-- that it was either unhealthy inside due to out-gassing, or that it could damage the paint externally.

So, REGARDLESS of the fact that we all know it's a way for the dealers to tack on extra charges...
Do you experienced people on here have any knowledge of whether the process (inside or out) is a good or bad thing? Do you get it or refuse it, if you have the choice?

Thank you!

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
Hey, I'd be happy to clear that up for you. Paint protection packages are a way for dealers to over-charge you for something that does next to nothing. In most cases, it's really just a cheap wax applied to the car when it gets washed. The problem is most dealership detail departments don't even apply it properly so that's when it can become an issue. They tend to add scratches and micro swirls to the paint when they really didn't have to because of their poor application techniques used (My dealership included).

It's best really to not have them wash the car at all and then you go ahead and get it detailed properly. At least when you tell them don't wash the car you can haggle with them about charging you for the paint package since it wouldn't get applied in the first place. Some dealerships won't play ball though, especially on a car with high demand like the CTR.

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
Hey, I'd be happy to clear that up for you. Paint protection packages are a way for dealers to over-charge you for something that does next to nothing. In most cases, it's really just a cheap wax applied to the car when it gets washed. The problem is most dealership detail departments don't even apply it properly so that's when it can become an issue. They tend to add scratches and micro swirls to the paint when they really didn't have to because of their poor application techniques used (My dealership included).

It's best really to not have them wash the car at all and then you go ahead and get it detailed properly. At least when you tell them don't wash the car you can haggle with them about charging you for the paint package since it wouldn't get applied in the first place. Some dealerships won't play ball though, especially on a car with high demand like the CTR.
Wow, thank you so much! That was an excellent explanation, and it really helped.

Great forum :)

Here in Illinois, there have been at least 2 dealers that didn't sell their CTRs right away, but ended up with the cars in their showrooms. I visited one of them (they had a CW). I don't know if they mark up so much with a partial intent to be able to show off the cars... or if they think a large metro area has enough people with money that they believe they can get those numbers.

But, for those who are thinking they might do better by going in person... i can tell you that i was there in person, and they wouldn't bring it down with me standing right there. If they want to sell, I am thinking they will at least start the conversation on the phone. Everyone who tried to work with me did give me answers on the phone.

Now, what they WERE willing to do was to add in some really nice extra accessories... but, it wasn't going to ease the huge markup for financing (which i would need).

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
One other observation...
Being in the market for a manual transmission... Every dealer has expressed issues to me with the fact these cars now have a limited customer base. Even with all the interest in this and other hot hatches, i keep getting told by the dealers that they have a lot of trouble now moving ANY car that is a manual trans (i checked out subaru, honda, toyota, and VW).

I guess it's a kind of self-fulfilling mandate when they don't produce manuals... which leads to less being in the hands of most people... which leads to almost no one knowing how to drive one (or therefore wanting one). And, with so many high-end sports cars Not offering stick any more, the image that it's not a true road experience without the manual trans is also gone. That is a big deal, given how image counts).

I believe this is true bc i was also on a list for the Corolla GR and i know as a fact that i wasn't 1st on the list (i think i was like 16th). they ended up also calling me bc i was the first LOCAL person they knew of who had shown interest in a manual transmission.

Of course, that doesn't stop them from ADM if they feel they can get it... but, the CW CTR sat at that dealer for a while, and it may have been there prior to when i knew about it (plus, they knew it was coming in for some time before then and didn't have it already dibbed). They made it clear they would rather sell locally, but no one lined up. I feel that those of you who are waiting for better ADMs might see them yet.

I do see most of the country (except CA) with cars IN TRANSIT... so, i have a hard time believing they will find that many people willing to pay that much extra for a manual if they lack a large customer base. I'm optimistic many on here will get their car this year. ;)

Last edited:

DarthTrizzle

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe
Hi - I'm new here, so please forgive if I say something out of line.

We recently looked at a 2023 CTR in a dealer showroom, and something came up that impacts all car purchases, so I wanted to get your opinions, please. Like so many of you, this dealer was requiring a paint protection package. The one they were requiring used both an internal and external process. We read up on it online, and some people were saying that it shouldn't be applied-- that it was either unhealthy inside due to out-gassing, or that it could damage the paint externally.

So, REGARDLESS of the fact that we all know it's a way for the dealers to tack on extra charges...
Do you experienced people on here have any knowledge of whether the process (inside or out) is a good or bad thing? Do you get it or refuse it, if you have the choice?

Thank you!
I talked them into a maintenance package instead of the paint protection garbage I didn't want. Figured I would get much more value out of the oil changes than a paint protection that does nothing and is useless since I did a full ceramic coating anyways.

ScumbagRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
I talked them into a maintenance package instead of the paint protection garbage I didn't want. Figured I would get much more value out of the oil changes than a paint protection that does nothing and is useless since I did a full ceramic coating anyways.
That's my strategy too. Accept the ADM, but ask for accessories first, then if that fails, at least get an extended warranty.

Definitely do not want paint protection, LoJack, nitrogen tires, etc. Would literally rather pay them the money for nothing than to get all of that for free.

saGOD

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R | 2020 KIA Sedona
Here in Illinois, there have been at least 2 dealers that didn't sell their CTRs right away, but ended up with the cars in their showrooms. I visited one of them (they had a CW). I don't know if they mark up so much with a partial intent to be able to show off the cars... or if they think a large metro area has enough people with money that they believe they can get those numbers.
Which two dealers have them in Illinois?
Honda Libertyville and North City Honda?
I'd like to go take a look at one in person.

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
Yes, for sure... and we actually did try that since we usually get a warranty -- but i guess the markup on the warranties wasn't enough to convince them.

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
That's my strategy too. Accept the ADM, but ask for accessories first, then if that fails, at least get an extended warranty.

Definitely do not want paint protection, LoJack, nitrogen tires, etc. Would literally rather pay them the money for nothing than to get all of that for free.
Good to hear that some of you would be "crazy" enough to decline the process even if you still had to pay. We are thinking the same thing, but thought it might have been a stupid perspective. At least it makes sense to others. Thank you.

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
Which two dealers have them in Illinois?
Honda Libertyville and North City Honda?
I'd like to go take a look at one in person.
One was at O'Hare Honda, and i had called them since i bought one of my prev cars there... but i just checked and i don't see it on there now. There was also one at Mueller Honda for a while, and i don't see that one now either. I'm confused, bc they were just sitting there, and now i check and they're gone. Did they suddenly drop ADM or did the chicago auto show inspire people to scour the metro to find them?

Another one is now being auctioned at the chicago auto show as we speak -- i think that one was in Mundelein, Crystal Lake they had it in their showroom for weeks. It's a SGP.

The CW was at Schaumburg Honda, and i got to actually sit in that one -- exactly like you said -- i wanted to see it in person! That's gone now, and there was one sitting at a dealer south of the city at the time i was sitting the one in schaumburg. we were talking about it. but, i didn't pay much attention to any of these as soon as i found out how much they were charging, so i apologize for not remembering well.

Libertyville and North City show as just being on the way -- i guess they could have arrived already. I haven't been checking in with most dealers as i am on a list and am waiting for that one.

I'm also a little concerned because it was not a good experience when i sat in the car. I'm really short, and I was disappointed that the seat wasn't able to be adjusted up much. I was sitting low in the car. I am thinking of maybe trying to get into the city for the auto show just to meet with Honda and find out if there's a solution to the low seat. If i knew someone high up enough or on the design team would be there, i would go in a heartbeat. It could be a show-stopper for me if i can't have a good view of the road. I'm just hoping that was a bit of a fluke that it didn't adjust high enough.

Since i now know you are interested, I will post if i hear about one being in a showroom.

Last edited:

Cooler2442

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT4
My wave 3 car which is at port now shows a delivery to the dealer on 3/1-3/6 according to my dealer.

CaryH

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 touring 2.0T, 2005 Toyota 4runner SR5, 2012 c
GREG MAY HONDAWACOTX(254)420-4740FL5G4PGWJHMFL5G47PX000777KA+BL/BRAPENDING
TWIN CITY HONDAPORT ARTHURTX(409)981-1220FL5G4PGWJHMFL5G46PX000768KA+WH/BRAPENDING
ALLEN HONDACOLLEGE STATIONTX(979)696-2424FL5G4PGWJHMFL5G46PX000771KA+WH/BRAPENDING
GILLMAN HONDA OF SAN BENITOSAN BENITOTX(956)361-3700FL5G4PGWJHMFL5G45PX000664KA+WH/BRS01/23
Still waiting? all you guys goto Car gurus put in the 2023 Honda civic type r..and it will show all dealership nationwide...the ones with actual pics...have them there on the floor available....no pic not at dealership and they don't know when exactly.
Sponsored