• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

VLJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Type R Boost Blue Pearl
After two days of ripping around in the mountains with my new ITS module for my FL5, here are my impressions...

First off, it's clearly smoother. Within moments of being on the freeway, I noticed that all the small buzzes and rattles I normally hear on the freeway from the seats and seatbelt areas were gone. Most of the buzzes and rattles were already fairly minimal lately anyway, with the main infotainment screen buzz having disappeared a decent while ago. Still, there had been some residual buzzes, and now they're simply gone. All that's left is a bit of intermittent wind noise by my left ear.

Right off the bat, the suspension in Comfort mode felt noticeably softer. Definitely less up and down movement. It felt softer, plusher, and the whole car felt slower, heavier, more sluggish. There was a bit more body roll. All in all, it simply felt like a normal car, not a sports car, or anything particularly sporty. It was about how I imagine a basic "sporty" Civic or standard Integra would feel.

No idea why the motor felt slower, or why everything felt slower and heavier. All I can chalk it up to is placebo effect, but I was certain it responded less sharply, and felt less edgy overall. When I took it to my race roads on which I usually use Comfort mode, it did handle the bumps better, but it felt a bit less athletic. Not worlds different, to where it was now a Camry or whatever, but it no longer felt like something I would describe as energetic or aggressive. "Controlled" would be how I'd describe it. Fairly middle of the road.

Bumping it up to Sport mode felt like my former Comfort mode, with less bounciness, and a duller overall response. Eventually I reconfigured Individual mode to approximate my former Comfort mode, with the steering on Comfort but the ITS suspension on Sport. At that point it was closer, and still less bumpy, but also still less aggressive. Changing the steering to Comfort at least made it feel a bit livelier.

Moving up to +R move, the first thing I did was check whether traction control and VSA could still be completely shut off simply by pressing the traction control button once and then holding it down a few seconds, which is not something the Integra Type S can do. That one requires the pedal dance, while the Type R doesn't, at least in +R mode. Yep, it still worked as normal, as did the piped-in sound. Comfort seems to have no fake noise, and neither does Sport, or, if Sport does, it's very minimal. +R still has the usual amount. No change there. On my super-bumpy race road, +R now bounces less than before, but still too much to use it there. Comfort remains the best choice on very bumpy roads, yet I was able to use Sport and +R on more roads than before.

The thing is, however, they didn't feel like Sport and +R, and I'm, not sure whether I like that. Yes, they now bounce less, but they also don't feel as sharp and fun. The same holds true for Comfort mode, which is definitely less bouncy, but no longer aggressive at all. The car still remains relatively flat, in that it doesn't completely flop over like a cushy family sadan, but it loses its aggressive edge.

I'm not sure what to make of it. On the one hand, yes, with the ITS it probably is objectively better. On the other hand, I'm not sure that this type of "better" is what I want from a Type R. This was my worry heading into this swap, and now that I've experienced it, I'm still worried. I think of the FL5 as a FWD GT3, and that's what I think I want, as opposed to a decidedly street-focused Acura that lacks the Acura's usual luxury accoutrements. If I'm not going to have heated seats, lumbar controls, and sound-deadening materials, then give me the sharpest, most satisfyingly aggressive handling experience.

I think so...maybe?

For me, the jury is still out.
Sponsored

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
Sounds like how just about all of us have described it. Haha.

Can you see why I've always said that going to 18" wheels + ITS ADS would be terrible? I wasn't happy with how dull the car felt swapping to 18" wheels on the factory ADS which is not a good feeling when you spend $4000+ on wheels and tires...

I might swap my ADS back to stock when I put my stock wheels/summer tires on tomorrow night. I think Honda knew what they were doing and pushed it to the edge. I might find that I prefer the stock ADS in the warmer temps.

It's still pretty cool that we can significantly change how the car feels with a $200 mod that retains every other stock component. This would be a dream to just about any other car enthusiast.

Shingo Shoji

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 - Championship White
After two days of ripping around in the mountains with my new ITS module for my FL5, here are my impressions...

First off, it's clearly smoother. Within moments of being on the freeway, I noticed that all the small buzzes and rattles I normally hear on the freeway from the seats and seatbelt areas were gone. Most of the buzzes and rattles were already fairly minimal lately anyway, with the main infotainment screen buzz having disappeared a decent while ago. Still, there had been some residual buzzes, and now they're simply gone. All that's left is a bit of intermittent wind noise by my left ear.

Right off the bat, the suspension in Comfort mode felt noticeably softer. Definitely less up and down movement. It felt softer, plusher, and the whole car felt slower, heavier, more sluggish. There was a bit more body roll. All in all, it simply felt like a normal car, not a sports car, or anything particularly sporty. It was about how I imagine a basic "sporty" Civic or standard Integra would feel.

No idea why the motor felt slower, or why everything felt slower and heavier. All I can chalk it up to is placebo effect, but I was certain it responded less sharply, and felt less edgy overall. When I took it to my race roads on which I usually use Comfort mode, it did handle the bumps better, but it felt a bit less athletic. Not worlds different, to where it was now a Camry or whatever, but it no longer felt like something I would describe as energetic or aggressive. "Controlled" would be how I'd describe it. Fairly middle of the road.

Bumping it up to Sport mode felt like my former Comfort mode, with less bounciness, and a duller overall response. Eventually I reconfigured Individual mode to approximate my former Comfort mode, with the steering on Comfort but the ITS suspension on Sport. At that point it was closer, and still less bumpy, but also still less aggressive. Changing the steering to Comfort at least made it feel a bit livelier.

Moving up to +R move, the first thing I did was check whether traction control and VSA could still be completely shut off simply by pressing the traction control button once and then holding it down a few seconds, which is not something the Integra Type S can do. That one requires the pedal dance, while the Type R doesn't, at least in +R mode. Yep, it still worked as normal, as did the piped-in sound. Comfort seems to have no fake noise, and neither does Sport, or, if Sport does, it's very minimal. +R still has the usual amount. No change there. On my super-bumpy race road, +R now bounces less than before, but still too much to use it there. Comfort remains the best choice on very bumpy roads, yet I was able to use Sport and +R on more roads than before.

The thing is, however, they didn't feel like Sport and +R, and I'm, not sure whether I like that. Yes, they now bounce less, but they also don't feel as sharp and fun. The same holds true for Comfort mode, which is definitely less bouncy, but no longer aggressive at all. The car still remains relatively flat, in that it doesn't completely flop over like a cushy family sadan, but it loses its aggressive edge.

I'm not sure what to make of it. On the one hand, yes, with the ITS it probably is objectively better. On the other hand, I'm not sure that this type of "better" is what I want from a Type R. This was my worry heading into this swap, and now that I've experienced it, I'm still worried. I think of the FL5 as a FWD GT3, and that's what I think I want, as opposed to a decidedly street-focused Acura that lacks the Acura's usual luxury accoutrements. If I'm not going to have heated seats, lumbar controls, and sound-deadening materials, then give me the sharpest, most satisfyingly aggressive handling experience.

I think so...maybe?

Interesting. Although for me doing a lot of long drives on coarse roads, the ITS ADS will be worth it if it can just stop the dash rattles and buzzes. What you said about the FL5 being a FWD GT3 spoke to me though. I don't mind the ride so much but it's the rattles on coarse chipseal roads that gets to me.

VLJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like how just about all of us have described it. Haha.

Can you see why I've always said that going to 18" wheels + ITS ADS would be terrible? I wasn't happy with how dull the car felt swapping to 18" wheels on the factory ADS which is not a good feeling when you spend $4000+ on wheels and tires...

I might swap my ADS back to stock when I put my stock wheels/summer tires on tomorrow night. I think Honda knew what they were doing and pushed it to the edge. I might find that I prefer the stock ADS in the warmer temps.

It's still pretty cool that we can significantly change how the car feels with a $200 mod that retains every other stock component. This would be a dream to just about any other car enthusiast.
Yep, and how about this, then? You know that blank space in the center console's row of buttons, just below the drive modes switch? How about Honda fills that in with an 'ITS' button? We already have a dedicated +R button, so why not also give us ITS mode with the press of a button?

Too complicated, you say?

I just watched Throttle House's review of the Hyundai Ioniq5 N, with its indecipherable array of screens, menus, commands, and controls. Compared to that hot mess, the simple addition of ITS mode in a single dedicated button would be child's play.

VLJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting. Although for me doing a lot of long drives on coarse roads, the ITS ADS will be worth it if it can just stop the dash rattles and buzzes. What you said about the FL5 being a FWD GT3 spoke to me though. I don't mind the ride so much but it's the rattles on coarse chipseal roads that gets to me.
I'll continue testing the ITS a bit longer before deciding my winner, but I already know what the decision will come down to, and it has nothing to do with how all the reviewers and most people here have framed the debate. Most people compare the two modules solely in terms of ride quality and handling, which makes sense, since the suspension damping is the only thing affected by these modules...in theory, anyway.

For me, however, I think it's going to come down to less buzzing in the cabin vs a more fun driving experience. If the ITS didn't immediately seem to eliminate all the little buzzes in the cabin that I hear on the freeway with the CTR, and the only call to make centered on which handling package is more fun to drive, the CTR would be my easy winner. Those little buzzes really annoy me sometimes, though, so I could see myself going with the ITS to kill those buzzes while rationalizing that it's also the subjectively better handler in the real world, because, well, almost everyone says so!

SaberX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 FL5, 18 LC500, 18 R8, 91 NSX
Last edited:

hhkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
UPDATE: Just found this other post and it looks like it is the right part
https://www.civicxi.com/forum/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-fl5-today.51962/post-882926

My ITS ADS came today, but the part number on it (39380-31M-A0**) is different than the part number on the box (39381-31M-A03). Can anyone confirm if this is this the right part?
1715202204583-vv.png
That’s odd. I just checked my ITS ADS module which I received just two weeks ago and it matches your part number. My box is also off

JayFL5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5
Cool trick, I'll give this a shot before getting coilovers in the mean time. Can agree car is way too stiff in R+ mode

drac

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5, Legacy GT, 996C4S, Elise, AMV8V, A6 3.0BiTdi
Yes, it was the same for me, no. on the box was what I expected but part was as yours. ie different.

Anyhow, it works and softens the suspension.

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
UPDATE: Just found this other post and it looks like it is the right part
https://www.civicxi.com/forum/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-fl5-today.51962/post-882926

My ITS ADS came today, but the part number on it (39380-31M-A0**) is different than the part number on the box (39381-31M-A03). Can anyone confirm if this is this the right part?
1715202204583-vv.png

"39381-31M-A03" is the part number you reference when you order the DE5 ADS, right? This is the "top level" part number.

I'm assuming that the FL5 ADS also has "39380-31M-A0**-M1" etched into the metal casing. If this is the case, it is because the FL5 and DE5 both use the same ADS hardware. This is like the lower level or subpart number.

It is the unique programming flashed onto this same hardware that gives the part a different overall top level part number.

If there are no further markings on the case, the only real way to know for sure (that they put the right part in the box), is to install it and confirm that the ride feels softer/less bouncy.

TO_FL5_CW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 FL5

I think so...maybe?

Nice post, I’ll use my Type R how it was designed. If I wanted a more plush ride I would buy ITS.

VLJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Here is my stock CTR module, which has a different part number from the ITS module…

IMG_1933.jpeg

Then the hardware is literally different, or the same but has a different p/n because they are from two different car brands even though Honda is still the parent company (not sure how they do their p/n assigning convention).

Regardless, there is a separate p/n for the metal case and one for the whole package, since they are segregating the hardware from the firmware. When you order these ADS units, note that they describe it as "rewritable".

Superhatch

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 NSX, 2007 Civic Si, 2019 Monkey
Yep, and how about this, then? You know that blank space in the center console's row of buttons, just below the drive modes switch? How about Honda fills that in with an 'ITS' button? We already have a dedicated +R button, so why not also give us ITS mode with the press of a button?

Too complicated, you say?

I just watched Throttle House's review of the Hyundai Ioniq5 N, with its indecipherable array of screens, menus, commands, and controls. Compared to that hot mess, the simple addition of ITS mode in a single dedicated button would be child's play.
I was already thinking about doing this just through wiring, a terminal block/relay and a remote switch. There isn't any reason this can't be done with simple wiring into a button in you're console as far as I can tell.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Type R; 2019 Si (sold)
I was already thinking about doing this just through wiring, a terminal block/relay and a remote switch. There isn't any reason this can't be done with simple wiring into a button in you're console as far as I can tell.
I believe someone already pointed out that on-the-fly switching may not be possible though as the ECU might throw a fit.
Sponsored