• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

VLJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Type R Boost Blue Pearl
I have the ITS module on order, but I’m beginning to question whether I really want it, much less whether I really need it.

Well, okay, obviously no one “needs” it. This is 100% a first world problems “want“ situation. There is no “need” involved.

Anyway, my dilemma is simple. I don’t want Comfort mode to be any softer. No…ummm…need. I’m fine with it as it is, and I don’t want to introduce any body roll or dullness. On the other hand, Sport and +R are mostly unusable, so having them become softer/less bouncy would be a good thing.

Or would it?

I took my 2024 Boost Blue FL5 to Monitor Pass today, and on that road I would not have wanted less than the +R stiffness and control. There was no bouncing on that road, which, along with the equally smooth Hwy 49 up above Truckee, are two of my favorite race roads in all of the Sierras.

On those two monster roads, the FL5 in +R mode absolutely shines.

Point being, while Sport and +R are rarely the best choice for me, sometimes they’re just right, and I find myself applauding Honda for knowing what they were doing when they tuned this FL5: comfortable enough when needed, but no compromises hardcore when that’s what’s on the menu for those certain ideal occasions.

Distinctive, edgy, and special, the way anything carrying the Type R badge ought to be?

I don’t know. I haven’t quite decided, but I certainly see solid arguments for both modules/suspension setups.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I have the ITS module on order, but I’m beginning to question whether I really want it, much less whether I really need it.

Well, okay, obviously no one “needs” it. This is 100% a first world problems “want“ situation. There is no “need” involved.

Anyway, my dilemma is simple. I don’t want Comfort mode to be any softer. No…ummm…need. I’m fine with it as it is, and I don’t want to introduce any body roll or dullness. On the other hand, Sport and +R are mostly unusable, so having them become softer/less bouncy would be a good thing.

Or would it?

I took my 2024 Boost Blue FL5 to Monitor Pass today, and on that road I would not have wanted less than the +R stiffness and control. There was no bouncing on that road, which, along with the equally smooth Hwy 49 up above Truckee, are two of my favorite race roads in all of the Sierras.

Point being, while Sport and +R are rarely the best choice for me, sometimes they’re just right, and I find myself applauding Honda for knowing what they were doing when they tuned this FL5: comfortable enough when needed, but no compromises hardcore when that’s what’s on the menu for those certain ideal occasions.

Distinctive, edgy, and special, the way anything carrying the Type R badge ought to be?

I don’t know. I haven’t quite decided, but I certainly see solid arguments for both modules/suspension setups.
I had it and sold it. Prefer the stock CTR so much more. Comfort is perfect for most driving, never too soft unless going 8/10 or above. The ITS comfort is too soft and pointless.

Dream3r

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Lexus ES350 / 24 CBP Type R R-19500
Compared to stock, how were Sport and +R with the ITS?
You should read the thread and do some research, this has been discussed a lot

Djseto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Mazda RX7, 2023 Boost Blue FL5
I just got my ITS module after ordering it in January. For me, easily the best $220 I've spent on any car I've had. To me, everything is one notch down:

ITS Comfort = New
ITS Sport = CTR Comfort
ITS Sport+ = CTR Sport
CTR Type R = gone

It was immediately noticeable, especially on roads that aren't smooth. I think if I did a track day, I'd swap back but I've also read that people find Type R too bouncy for anything other than the smoothest of tracks. Even with the new comfort, when I push my favorite roads, it doesn't feel any different. I found my favorite cloverleaf and ran it back to back in every mode and could still tell the differences. Two of the clovers are under construction so I could see how it did when it wasn’t smooth pavement. I would say all three modes are usuable on the street compared to CTR module where Type R would rattle your teeth out.

Having done lots of track days in my other car (FD RX7) and spending time dialing in the suspension with help from pros that involve pyrometers and tire temps, I have learned that full stiff isn't always the solution for better grip. Spring rates, suspension geometry, etc. all play a major role too. In my RX7, I actually run my Ohlins almost full soft and have better performance and grip. Every car is different but my point is that full stiff isn't best for every situation or road despite the belief that to get more grip, one needs a stiffer suspension.

The nice thing about this module is if you don't like it, you likley arent losing money if you wanna sell it.

Last edited:

VLJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You should read the thread and do some research, this has been discussed a lot
You should read the thread yourself and note that I've posted in it quite a bit already, so you should realize that I am well aware of what has already been written. Therefore, you should next make the logical leap that I was asking this specific person for his specific impressions, since he is one of the rare-ish people who has tried both modules and ended up preferring the stock unit.

Bottom line, why did you bother to make such a worthless, snotty post? What was your goal there?

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
You should read the thread yourself and note that I've posted in it quite a bit already, so you should realize that I am well aware of what has already been written. Therefore, you should next make the logical leap that I was asking this specific person for his specific impressions, since he is one of the rare-ish people who has tried both modules and ended up preferring the stock unit.

Bottom line, why did you bother to make such a worthless, snotty post? What was your goal there?
It's a matter of opinion if you'll like the Type S ADS so you have to weigh everyone else's opinion and make the best guess as to which one you prefer. None of us can tell you if YOU will like it better or not.

If you're happy with the car and you don't daily it then just stick with the factory ADS module. It's only $200 for this mod it's super simple to swap back and forth. I don't know why you are continuing to doubt if it's worth having it on hand and giving it a try yourself.

I'd hate to see how you make a decision on which tires to buy! ;)

Dream3r

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Lexus ES350 / 24 CBP Type R R-19500

Compared to stock, how were Sport and +R with the ITS?
Bottom line is why did you write all that to post one question that has in-fact been answered in this thread multiple times and on YouTube? Snotty cause you’re sensitive when all you had to do was read.

VLJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrong, Dream3r. Scroll up. Read it in context. I was responding to Noize, who posted a decidedly different take on his experience with the CTR vs ITS modules. Whereas most people have preferred the ITS, which is why I have an order in for one, Noize seems to be firmly in the opposite camp. Because of this, I asked for his impressions on the two modes he didn't mention, since he only mentioned Comfort mode.

Research, as you said...as you pointedly recommended.

So, again, what was your goal in posting such a snotty, ill-informed nothing of a retort? Were you severely put out by a single-sentence post that somehow forced you to click on this thread and read it, and now you're determined to prevent a reoccurrence of such an egregious waste of your precious time?

Seriously, what skin is it off your back, that you felt compelled to tell someone on a message board not to ask a follow-up question to someone else's post? Were you a hall monitor in school, and you really miss those heady days of feeling in charge while telling people where to go and what they can and cannot do?

CTR, weighing everyone's opinion is precisely what I'm doing, which is why I was asking for more of a description from one of the few dissenting opinions here.

Btw, I'm mostly happy with my FL5, and I definitely daily it, as it is now my only car. Due to multiple reconstructive spinal procedures I will never do another track day, but I still rip around in the canyons a lot more than is strictly sensible. That's where the idea of the ITS module appeals to me, at least from the majority—but not all—of the descriptions I've seen. On many of my favorite roads, yes, Sport and +R are too bouncy to be of use. On a few choice roads, however, +R is tremendous. Meanwhile, Comfort is nearly always fine, up to maybe 8/10ths aggression, as Noize correctly stated.

My worry is that the ITS module will dull Comfort mode to the point that the car no longer feels like a Type R, while Sport and +R will be neutered to where the car loses its unique edginess. For the most part, people seem to prefer the ITS, but I'm interested in hearing the reasons behind the dissenting opinions.

As to your point about either module being easy to sell once I choose my favorite, yes, that's true, but I have another issue there. As I said, I have a reconstructed cervical spine, to go with a broken neck and a shattered lumbar spine. As a result, I can't turn my head much, or look up or down, or bend much at all. Because of this, I doubt that I can turn my head and bend down sideways enough to remove and reinstall the rear seat, which is apparently a necessary part of the ITS swap. I'm not looking forward to that one, so, in a perfect world, I'd stick with the stock module simply to avoid having to undertake that project. Thus, the questions to those who prefer the CTR module.

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
A super soft floaty comfort mode can come in handy when you're forced to drive over roads full of holes; it soaks them up nicely. That's about the only thing I miss about my stock 20-21 non-LE ADS comfort mode. Otherwise, I'm in the LE-upgraded +R damper mode 90% of the time.

Brittania

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Toyota Camry, 2024 FL5

Or would it?

It's definitely going to come down to personal preference, so like others have said I'd try it out and see what you like better. I liked comfort mode with the stock module and now I like +R.

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R - SGP
Best 200 I’ve spent on the car. I daily mine and roads here range from ass to meh smooth bumpy ass lol. Comfort still feels very ‘type r’ like, not dull. Find myself staying in sport most often now and R mode is actually usable and not throwing me out of the seat on a curvy bumpy road. I would install this 10/10 times.

Nucumall

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 honda civic type r
I ordered the type s module back in January. It was back ordered until now. Somehow I have ordered two and I do not need the second. I can return, but would anybody like to buy it off me?

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Wrong, Dream3r. Scroll up. Read it in context. I was responding to Noize, who posted a decidedly different take on his experience with the CTR vs ITS modules. Whereas most people have preferred the ITS, which is why I have an order in for one, Noize seems to be firmly in the opposite camp. Because of this, I asked for his impressions on the two modes he didn't mention, since he only mentioned Comfort mode.

Research, as you said...as you pointedly recommended.

So, again, what was your goal in posting such a snotty, ill-informed nothing of a retort? Were you severely put out by a single-sentence post that somehow forced you to click on this thread and read it, and now you're determined to prevent a reoccurrence of such an egregious waste of your precious time?

Seriously, what skin is it off your back, that you felt compelled to tell someone on a message board not to ask a follow-up question to someone else's post? Were you a hall monitor in school, and you really miss those heady days of feeling in charge while telling people where to go and what they can and cannot do?

CTR, weighing everyone's opinion is precisely what I'm doing, which is why I was asking for more of a description from one of the few dissenting opinions here.

Btw, I'm mostly happy with my FL5, and I definitely daily it, as it is now my only car. Due to multiple reconstructive spinal procedures I will never do another track day, but I still rip around in the canyons a lot more than is strictly sensible. That's where the idea of the ITS module appeals to me, at least from the majority—but not all—of the descriptions I've seen. On many of my favorite roads, yes, Sport and +R are too bouncy to be of use. On a few choice roads, however, +R is tremendous. Meanwhile, Comfort is nearly always fine, up to maybe 8/10ths aggression, as Noize correctly stated.

My worry is that the ITS module will dull Comfort mode to the point that the car no longer feels like a Type R, while Sport and +R will be neutered to where the car loses its unique edginess. For the most part, people seem to prefer the ITS, but I'm interested in hearing the reasons behind the dissenting opinions.

As to your point about either module being easy to sell once I choose my favorite, yes, that's true, but I have another issue there. As I said, I have a reconstructed cervical spine, to go with a broken neck and a shattered lumbar spine. As a result, I can't turn my head much, or look up or down, or bend much at all. Because of this, I doubt that I can turn my head and bend down sideways enough to remove and reinstall the rear seat, which is apparently a necessary part of the ITS swap. I'm not looking forward to that one, so, in a perfect world, I'd stick with the stock module simply to avoid having to undertake that project. Thus, the questions to those who prefer the CTR module.
Simple misunderstanding from multiple parties, it happens. It would have been clearer if you used the 'Reply' function on @Noize 's initial comment. It's now clear, to me at least, you were asking for his take and not a broad global question.
Sponsored