• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Best Intercooler for New Civic Type R | PRL Motorsports | Ososik

OsosikMedia

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2017 Civic SI x2
Summer is here, time to cool things down in the Civic Type R!

After installing the catless downpipe on our 2023 Honda Civic Type R, we decided to take it a step further by adding @PRL Motorsports Intercooler. This install was done on the dyno right after comparing the DownPipe results ("Free Flowing" DownPipe). To get the most accurate results we did this back2back test with the same Powermetric Tune on Hondata FlashPro with 2 min intervals. Not every test can be done this way but since the build is still in the early stages and these upgrades are simple to install, I figured I'd do back2back test and share the results with you all. That way you can decide if a PRL Intercooler upgrade is right for you. Now keep in mind, in summer it gets hot in my location and we only have 91 octane. Now time for the results!!!

The PRL Intercooler for the 2023 Honda Civic Type R is a great upgrade over the OEM. It provides significantly more cooling power, which translates to increased performance and better fuel economy. Below is the before and after the intercooler Mustang Dyno Plots.

PRL Intercooler, DownPipe, PowerMetric Stage 0.91, Hondata FlashPro:
11th Gen Honda Civic Best Intercooler for New Civic Type R | PRL Motorsports | Ososik ososik-fl5-stage091-dp+ic-baseline

PRL Intercooler, DownPipe, PowerMetric Stage 0.91, Hondata FlashPro VS DownPipe, PowerMetric Stage 0.91, Hondata FlashPro:
11th Gen Honda Civic Best Intercooler for New Civic Type R | PRL Motorsports | Ososik ososik-fl5-stage091-dp+ic-baseline-vs-dponly

PRL Intercooler, DownPipe, PowerMetric Stage 0.91, Hondata FlashPro vs Stock:
11th Gen Honda Civic Best Intercooler for New Civic Type R | PRL Motorsports | Ososik ososik-fl5-stage091-dp+ic-baseline-vs-stock

Overall, installing a downpipe, PRL Intercooler, Hondata FlashPro with Powermetric tune on your 2023 Honda Civic Type R can provide impressive gains in both power and torque. This upgrade is definitely a must-have for any Civic Type R owner looking to get the most out of their car! With this setup, you can be sure that your Honda Civic Type R will have all the power and efficiency it needs to take on whatever comes its way.

Follow me on social media for all the up to date latest
@ososik & @OsosikMedia
Sponsored

chopsuey34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
I'd be interested in a PRL vs. 27WON intercooler comparison once the 27WON is available.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Ive heard increasing low end torque really beats down on these turbo 4s - any truth to that?

OP
OP
OsosikMedia

OsosikMedia

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ive heard increasing low end torque really beats down on these turbo 4s - any truth to that?
Pushing anything past the limits it was originally intended for will always eventually cause problems. There is room for more on certain applications but in the case of L15 engine TRQ is definitely a factor in snapping a rod. The K20 (FK8/FL5) engines are "stronger" but there's also a different in just size. Have you ever seen a L15 rod next to a k20?

If you're trying to push big power, I always recommend getting the supporting mods to handle it...even then, those can break too. It's all part of the game. "Race, Break, Repeat"

OP
OP
OsosikMedia

OsosikMedia

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)