• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

C&D Lightning Lap 2024: The Hottest Cars on America's Toughest Track

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
Haven't read/watched yet - no matter the tire the Lucid is pretty impressive, of course at $250k and over 1k HP you would certainly hope so.

Wow, the Si is a dog (still).
Sponsored

wrxdev13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry, FL5 CTR
The ITS with Cup2s could get closer to the CTR time in the context of similar weather, same driver, etc. and other factors. I'm might impressed with the Lucid and the Dark Horse.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Tires are for sure the dirty 'secret' of lap times.

If there is any doubt, how else do you explain an equal or better lap time for a 2016 CTR than some earlier Porsches, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, even a Pagani(?!) at the 'Ring?

Yes, Honda is brilliant. But tire tech took some huge leaps, and the results bear that out.

There is no perfect comparison test. Weather, track conditions, driver -even the same driver is still human, etc.

But makes for some fun reading and discussions.

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Finally a fast EV on track.

That Subaru is nuts.

And there are a couple butthurt Type S owners in this thread. Lol. They said the CTR would only be a few tenths faster on the same tire. But the seats and lack of pedal dance requirement make that (few tenths) difference.

That time is exactly what it should be. Get some V730s, and these cars will fly.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CW CTR R-12374
I dunno how impressive the Dark Horse time is in the context of a Z/28 on Trofeo R tire went faster back in 2015....different year and all that but still. But it is the only Pony car left....unless you count a CT5V Blackwing also went faster last year without having cup tires...

Lightning lap has always been about all "performance option" package cars, sometimes its kinda meaningless since sure Cup 2 might be "optional" for FL5 in the sense I guess there is a Honda P/N you can order. But one who will buy that from the dealer and two, who actually orders a Type R unless you are some influencer(cough Savagegeese). And I feel like in the recent years they've been getting harder to get some cars with the right OE tires(BMW especially). But wrangling a dozen cars to show up at the same time is probably a project in the best of years, they are certainly trying....M2 in this case too is a sunroof car so probably not the ideal track spec neither. Might just be how attentive or "give a shit" the OEM press fleet coordinators are.

Lucid is impressive, sure its 1000 horses but for its weight and how undertired relative to that weight, the time seems pretty good if not somewhat one dimension. But keeping all that weight in check and get all of its systems to work cohesively is pretty impressive, especially compare to EV6 in the same test.

First Name
Terrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Civic Si
Finally a fast EV on track.

That Subaru is nuts.

And there are a couple butthurt Type S owners in this thread. Lol. They said the CTR would only be a few tenths faster on the same tire. But the seats and lack of pedal dance requirement make that (few tenths) difference.

That time is exactly what it should be. Get some V730s, and these cars will fly.
Bother wonderful carsā€”so many on that list. Great for bench racing.

spectre186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Camry, 23 Civic Type R
Eh, not sure. Guess itā€™s possible, but.
Im mainly going off of the unofficial comparison @savagegeese did. The lap times were very close and the ITS makes noticeably more power. With its extra compliance it hops curbs better too. Hopefully someone does a head to head comparison on a road course soon. Same tires is a must.

First Name
Terrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Civic Si
I agree, just using the FK8 time vs the IST time as a kind of basis (.3 faster, which may as well be the same considering all of the variables.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
So would everyone feel better if Mark of Savage Geese paid a big ADM on his FL5? Really?
Wow.

I have enjoyed and learned a lot from his blog - just as I have from the other quality auto reviewers on You Tube.
Think of his getting an FL5 at MSRP as a thank you for the love note to enthusiasts that is Savage Geese.

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2024 Civic Type R
Yeah it's a sort of strange position that C&D takes where they will only permit cars to use tires that are theoretically "available OEM"... and they end up shooting themselves in the foot sometimes like they did with the M3 CS where they couldn't even get the right tires in time for the event. The Type R is "available" with Cup2s... but what does that really mean??? I'm certain that I could ask my Acura dealer to slap Cup2s on my ITS. Please tell me how that's different from what I'd do had I bought a CTR... and while they clearly explain this in the article and video, they still lean in heavily with the inference that the ITS is a slower car than the CTR around that track. They basically conclude that tires are a part of the OEM package, and that's not necessarily a fair assessment IMO.
To give Honda some credit though, they did work with Michelin to make a specific H0 version of the Cup 2 for the CTR. According to an interview with a Michelin engineer, this carcass is optimized for front wheel drive, which the regular Cup 2 is not. Perhaps they should have made it an official offering for the ITS, in which case C&D would have used it.
Sponsored