• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Civic Si getting nerfed due to Integra revival?

Hondabob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
Thanks for the clarifications on those. I had just woken up when I was reading it and probably glossed over the quotations on things.

It still stands that the integra is very much a mystery at this point. Coupe or sedan, or both? Entry level or not? Electrification or not? (I still think a hybrid AWD setup could be definitely in the cards as they could tout it as being "similar" to the NSX from a marketing standpoint).

It'll be an interesting few months as more info trickles out, hopefully we can find those patent images sooner rather than later. Either way, it stands to add be an exciting option to my list of future vehicles come next year. I'll just cross my fingers it'll be an affordable sporty coupe and leave it at that for the time being.
Yeah this is getting really confusing now. The silhouette definitely screams 2 door coupe/hatchback. However motor trend did say that with the pop up headlights and overall shape it’s likely a homage to the older cars.
with the NSX going out this might actually be its successor as a Supra competitor?
But this is the perfect time to revive the Integra as the ILX replacement. Very confused

What will replace the ILX becomes an even bigger question
If it’s truly a 2 door coupe this thing will hardly sell vs the ILX which has had really strong numbers. Im definitely in the demographic as a buyer for this type of car but I can’t justify a 2 door right now.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Yeah this is getting really confusing now. The silhouette definitely screams 2 door coupe/hatchback. But this is the perfect time to revive the Integra as the ILX replacement.

If it’s truly a 2 door coupe this thing will hardly sell vs the ILX which has had really strong numbers. Im definitely in the demographic as a buyer for this type of car but I can’t justify a 2 door right now.
As i've mentioned to others, while coupes don't sell, they're still viable options in the luxury/sport/premium category. Almost every luxury auto maker still makes low volume coupes. These types of cars are more about brand image, and with Acura wanting to be seen as a sport focused brand, and the NSX on its way out, it stands to argue that a low volume niche model like an Integra coupe would be a sound option. It also has to do with profit margin... mass market coupes have low profit margin (i.e. civic coupe) so it's very hard to justify them when they don't sell in big numbers.... luxury/premium cars aren't THAT much more expensive to build, but are priced much higher than mass market cars are, so each car nets more profit, making low volume models more easy to justify.

And while coupes aren't exactly riding high these days, I think a well know nameplate like Integra would potentially sell pretty well (for a coupe). People considering other small coupes (like the Toyobaru twins or 400Z) could be swayed to go for the nostalgia and prestige the Integra name carries with it.

That said, it'll probably still be a sedan (albeit a very coupe-like sedan based on the silhouette). Maybe Acura will do something like the RX-8 and have the back doors be smaller suicide doors? Anything is possible at this point. The conflicting information of the product plan "new compact sedan" and Acura saying "this isn't the replacement for the ILX" means that the Integra is either a coupe (or some variation of) or it won't be considered an entry level model like the ILX is, which means it's gonna be expensive (kind of against the spirit of the original car IMO). Eventual patent images will hopefully put the body style into clear view... but whether or not it is an affordable/attainable small sporty car like the original won't be know until it's ready to go on sale.

OP
OP
VicVal01

VicVal01

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
As i've mentioned to others, while coupes don't sell, they're still viable options in the luxury/sport/premium category. Almost every luxury auto maker still makes low volume coupes. These types of cars are more about brand image, and with Acura wanting to be seen as a sport focused brand, and the NSX on its way out, it stands to argue that a low volume niche model like an Integra coupe would be a sound option. It also has to do with profit margin... mass market coupes have low profit margin (i.e. civic coupe) so it's very hard to justify them when they don't sell in big numbers.... luxury/premium cars aren't THAT much more expensive to build, but are priced much higher than mass market cars are, so each car nets more profit, making low volume models more easy to justify.

And while coupes aren't exactly riding high these days, I think a well know nameplate like Integra would potentially sell pretty well (for a coupe). People considering other small coupes (like the Toyobaru twins or 400Z) could be swayed to go for the nostalgia and prestige the Integra name carries with it.

That said, it'll probably still be a sedan (albeit a very coupe-like sedan based on the silhouette). Maybe Acura will do something like the RX-8 and have the back doors be smaller suicide doors? Anything is possible at this point. The conflicting information of the product plan "new compact sedan" and Acura saying "this isn't the replacement for the ILX" means that the Integra is either a coupe (or some variation of) or it won't be considered an entry level model like the ILX is, which means it's gonna be expensive (kind of against the spirit of the original car IMO). Eventual patent images will hopefully put the body style into clear view... but whether or not it is an affordable/attainable small sporty car like the original won't be know until it's ready to go on sale.
Agreed, i think if they are truly going to stick to the original DNA of the integra then it should be a 86/brz competitor, which is what concerned me because its starting to feel like the si’s days are numbered. I can see honda dropping it entirely and just sticking with the type r. Even the 10th gen si was a minor improvement over the much improved touring trim performance-wise, which made it feel like an afterthought.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
So with Acura announcing the return of the Integra, i cant see this meaning anything but trouble for the civic si. Do you think Honda will nerf the si in order to keep it from taking some sales from the new Integra?
I think this makes sense and explains why Honda hasn’t really improved the si much over the last couple of generations. It might end up doing what it did to the USDM EP3 in an effort to boost rsx-s sales. Also helps further justify Hondas decision to kill the civic coupe.
Not at all. The Integra will be $30k+, not competition for the Si, which is already confirmed anyway.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
Yeah this is getting really confusing now. The silhouette definitely screams 2 door coupe/hatchback. However motor trend did say that with the pop up headlights and overall shape it’s likely a homage to the older cars.
with the NSX going out this might actually be its successor as a Supra competitor?
But this is the perfect time to revive the Integra as the ILX replacement. Very confused

Sedan + coupe, both called Integra, just like the old one. Explains the sillouette and the New Compact Sedan language.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Looks like direct competition for the new GR86/BRZ if the drone silhouette is to be belived.

Saywhaat04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Not to be a negative nancy....but...the Acura product time line that leaked a while back shows a TLX, MDX and RDX AND the ILX REPLACEMENT 4door sedan. This is gonna be a sedan based off the Civic and nothing more. We've all speculated about everything from SI hatchbacks to SI-R hatchbacks to automatic SIs and on and on but Honda does things their own way and I just cant see Honda offering an Integra coupe when they just dropped the Civic coupe...if the Civic coupe died because of low sales an integra coupe would not sell any better. Luxury coupes arent selling either. The Infiniti Q60 is getting the axe too. What would make sense would be to offer a sedan and hatchback but considering Honda wont even build an SI hatchback or SI automatic which we all know would sell, we see Honda doesnt always make sense. Also I dont expect the integra to offer a manual either.

I hope Im wrong but we all know how this is gonna turn out. I refuse to get my hopes up!

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
Not to be a negative nancy....but...the Acura product time line that leaked a while back shows a TLX, MDX and RDX AND the ILX REPLACEMENT 4door sedan. This is gonna be a sedan based off the Civic and nothing more. We've all speculated about everything from SI hatchbacks to SI-R hatchbacks to automatic SIs and on and on but Honda does things their own way and I just cant see Honda offering an Integra coupe when they just dropped the Civic coupe...if the Civic coupe died because of low sales an integra coupe would not sell any better. Luxury coupes arent selling either. The Infiniti Q60 is getting the axe too. What would make sense would be to offer a sedan and hatchback but considering Honda wont even build an SI hatchback or SI automatic which we all know would sell, we see Honda doesnt always make sense. Also I dont expect the integra to offer a manual either.

I hope Im wrong but we all know how this is gonna turn out. I refuse to get my hopes up!
It all makes sense but look at the profile image, that is not a sedan. So it's a big confusing.

xaviersayys

Xavier
First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Actually interested in this. I was thinking the other day about the Integra, actually, and if it would ever make a comeback. I've always wanted one as a kid. I'm planning to trade in next year, around Spring when I (hopefully) graduate, so this is good timing.

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
It all makes sense but look at the profile image, that is not a sedan. So it's a big confusing.
It's either a coupe, or a REALLY sloped sedan going for the coupe-like shape and it's going to have hardly any actual rear seat space, which I suppose isn't impossible. The TLX already took form over function being larger than an accord but having a really tiny back seat area. There is a chance that the integra will be a coupe in spirit with back doors for courtesy sake...

- Product road map says "new compact sedan"
- Acura shows coupe-like profile in reveal for Integra
- Says it's not a replacement for the ILX (but that could be taken a few ways, do they mean segment, or marketing?)

So is it just a much nicer and sportier sedan that will be a MASSIVE improvement over the ILX? Or is it a coupe? It's sad because, Honda/Acura gained a lot of their diehard following with their amazing FWD coupes (integra, RSX, Civic Coupe, Prelude, Accord Coupe, CRX, CRZ, etc), but market trends and more focus on volume sales, rather than passion have stripped both brands of what made them what they were.

Granted... Acura is a bit less conservative than Honda, more about taking chances on niche products, but how big of a chance are they willing to take on an affordable sports coupe? As much as I want to hope that the Integra returns true to form as an attainable sporty coupe, my gut says it's going to be a sedan/liftback/hatch (essentially the Si hatchback we didn't get from Honda, which would explain why we didn't get things like a hatch Si or an auto option). And I'm sure it'll be a fun and attractive car, possibly priced very competitively. So it's hard to be TOO upset really, at least they haven't abandoned small cars all together like some have.

But it still makes me a little miffed when I see other automakers continue to make coupes (granted mostly RWD or luxury) and Honda/Acura can't find the pennies to keep one fun and affordable entry in the coupe segment for the enthusiasts. But we will see how things pan out.

Saywhaat04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Also i dont think it was just the Civic SI that got nerfed...the whole Civic lineup did. There are features missing from trim levels, the 1.5t is noticeably slower with minimal if any gain in mpg over the 10th, the Tourings feature set is lacking compared to the competition too. No memory seats no ventilated seats. No HUD, no 360 camera etc.

I bet the Integra will offer this stuff and more. The sad part about it is that Honda doesnt have to do this...they should build a product so well for Acura that it should be different enough from Honda to stand out.

Acura doesnt want another TLX repeat...the current Accord 2.0T is faster and in some ways better equipped than the base TLX.

Saywhaat04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
This
11th Gen Honda Civic Civic Si getting nerfed due to Integra revival? type-r-4

Turned into this:
11th Gen Honda Civic Civic Si getting nerfed due to Integra revival? ff7b47a37cea4cef928db9955b5b80bf

I remember people saying it looked coupe like...4door camaro etc.

This could still be a sedan
11th Gen Honda Civic Civic Si getting nerfed due to Integra revival? E8pJR-KVkAYlpaW.jpe

Also remember Acuras product cadence projects 50k to 60k sales a year. Thats 4-5k units per month so its bo way its ONLY a coupe.

Also the ILX is below the TLX and just about every luxury coupe that is left is a size class bigger. What luxury coupe is it going to compete with? The 2 Series? As more and more automakers move to electric vehicles these luxury coupes will be sacrificed for the electric ones why on earth would Acura jump into a dying class of vehicles? I question the whole point of the Integra anyway...if Acura really wanted sales numbers they'd be introducing a subcompact crossover not a compact sedan/hatch thingamachigga. This thing is a sedan with the 1.5t as base and 2.0t as Type S.

Hondabob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
This
type-r-4.jpg

Turned into this:
ff7b47a37cea4cef928db9955b5b80bf.jpg

I remember people saying it looked coupe like...4door camaro etc.

This could still be a sedan
E8pJR-KVkAYlpaW.jpeg.jpg

Also remember Acuras product cadence projects 50k to 60k sales a year. Thats 4-5k units per month so its bo way its ONLY a coupe.

Also the ILX is below the TLX and just about every luxury coupe that is left is a size class bigger. What luxury coupe is it going to compete with? The 2 Series? As more and more automakers move to electric vehicles these luxury coupes will be sacrificed for the electric ones why on earth would Acura jump into a dying class of vehicles? I question the whole point of the Integra anyway...if Acura really wanted sales numbers they'd be introducing a subcompact crossover not a compact sedan/hatch thingamachigga. This thing is a sedan with the 1.5t as base and 2.0t as Type S.
I think the one big thing you mention is the Sales numbers. Only a sedan or hatchback will increase volume. A coupe will significantly decrease that volume. If they offer a 2 and 4 door option though..

Saywhaat04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
I think the one big thing you mention is the Sales numbers. Only a sedan or hatchback will increase volume. A coupe will significantly decrease that volume. If they offer a 2 and 4 door option though..
In this market a sedan would be the volume seller (or really just a compact suv) if it were simply a hstch it still wouldnt sell 50k a year. Its a sedan. Acuras leaked plans have said as much. I just dont want yall to get disappointed again when uts not a coupe or a hatchback. I hope im wrong though.

KoukiVAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR(Sold), 19 TLX, 21 Veloster N
I think the new Integra is the “new compact sedan.”
Not sure if it will come in a 2/3door configuration but I just don’t see a coupe-only model coming out of nowhere.

Also, Acura never said this “new compact sedan” would be the ILX replacement.
(To be fair they didn’t really say anything at all lol)

I think he was trying to say that this is not the true successor to the ILX, just like how ILX isn’t treated as RSX’s successor.
Same segment, but not the same type of vehicle

Maybe they’ll keep selling current gen ILX for a while and discontinue it later on. Then the Integra will just take over that market.

In short, I think this is the new compact sedan that we’ve been waiting for. It will probably take ILx’s spot as the entry model but will not be its true successor.
(There will just discontinue the ILX without an actual replacement)
Sponsored

Last edited: