• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Don’t Pay Markups

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
FL9 not the same as FK8. If rumors are true the FL9 allocations in Canada will be 20% of what the FK8 allocations were.

550 units spread across 3 years, 183 units each year for the ENTIRE country. Less than LE allocations.

So no, you will not get it close to MSRP in a few years. Not even close if this is the last manual, ICE Type R. Prices and appreciation will only go up each year if you take the rumors as fact.
*FL5

tuhroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK8, 13 ISF, 95 K20 EG8, 98 ITR, 95 EG8, 23 FL5
i am paying msrp with no added anything...so i'm lucky only because i work for honda. however, 95% of people will pay some sort of a mark up, especially these days.

Kyofu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3 GT
FL9 not the same as FK8. If rumors are true the FL9 allocations in Canada will be 20% of what the FK8 allocations were.

550 units spread across 3 years, 183 units each year for the ENTIRE country. Less than LE allocations.

So no, you will not get it close to MSRP in a few years. Not even close if this is the last manual, ICE Type R. Prices and appreciation will only go up each year if you take the rumors as fact.
Just to clarify, the current rumours for Canadian allocations of the FL5 CTR is 546 over 3 years (~183 units/year as you said)

Canadian sales for the FK8 CTR was approx. 400 per year. So FL5 allocations is only approx. 45% of what it was for FK8 (not 20%).

Canadian 2021 CTR LE allocation was only 100 for the entire country. So we're getting WAY more FL5s than we got CTR LEs (not less).
Unless you mean worldwide CTR LEs (1020 units, 600 went to the USA) although I don't think that's really relevant.

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
Just to clarify, the current rumours for Canadian allocations of the FL5 CTR is 546 over 3 years (~183 units/year as you said)

Canadian sales for the FK8 CTR was approx. 400 per year. So FL5 allocations is only approx. 45% of what it was for FK8 (not 20%).

Canadian 2021 CTR LE allocation was only 100 for the entire country. So we're getting WAY more FL5s than we got CTR LEs (not less).
Unless you mean worldwide CTR LEs (1020 units, 600 went to the USA) although I don't think that's really relevant.
Apologies, I don't know why I stated 200 for the LE's you are correct.

Kyofu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3 GT
Apologies, I don't know why I stated 200 for the LE's you are correct.
All good, just want to make sure we don't have rumours of rumours going around haha. It's still not GREAT news to have 45% of previous gen, but also maybe not entirely unexpected given current production circumstances.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Seriously, there gonna end up like all the used fk8 owners that paid over msrp for used bc they were adamant about not paying a few k over msrp for new. Keep giving out bad advice so that I can get mine before there all gone :thumbsup:
Depends where you live, if you are or were willing to buy from out of state, and if you are okay buying something you have not had a test drive in, sure, buy a new Type R. Maybe there is no markup or a small one in your town. Not here in the greater Phoenix area.
Where I live, the markups were a whole lot more than 'a few thousand' in 2017. Try 10-15K. And no test drives. Even for established customers.
They freaking auctioned them as they dribbled in.
So don't blame me and others who were okay with paying the original new MSRP for a preowned car with low miles and a full extended warranty - and a test drive. My 2018 -same color, same year, same mileage, is going for more almost $ 5K more than I paid for it. So how was that a bad investment? Which is academic, since I am keeping it. When I see the new Si pushing $ 30K, $35 for that FK8 - even with 13K miles on it - seems like it was a great idea. I missed out on a few things newer ones have, but not anything I can't live without.

nowaytoescape

First Name
Nicolas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Escape
Depends where you live, if you are or were willing to buy from out of state, and if you are okay buying something you have not had a test drive in, sure, buy a new Type R. Maybe there is no markup or a small one in your town. Not here in the greater Phoenix area.
Where I live, the markups were a whole lot more than 'a few thousand' in 2017. Try 10-15K. And no test drives. Even for established customers.
They freaking auctioned them as they dribbled in.
So don't blame me and others who were okay with paying the original new MSRP for a preowned car with low miles and a full extended warranty - and a test drive. My 2018 -same color, same year, same mileage, is going for more almost $ 5K more than I paid for it. So how was that a bad investment? Which is academic, since I am keeping it. When I see the new Si pushing $ 30K, $35 for that FK8 - even with 13K miles on it - seems like it was a great idea. I missed out on a few things newer ones have, but not anything I can't live without.
I feel like also a lot of people aren’t mentioning that a recession is possibly in the near future. Not everyone is comfortable spending extra over MSRP. To some it’s not financially smart. Yes it will hold it’s value and be worth more than what you paid but let’s be honest this is still a Civic. A special one but a Civic. For example the Si and the Integra A-Spec technology package (or whatever it is). Si’s are going for $35k+ while the Integra (read this somewhere) going for the same price ($1k-$3k more MSRP wise) can actually be had at MSRP. What will be the mindset for a lot people when the Integra Type-S comes out will eventually be “why pay extra for this Civic when I can get more for the same amount?” Hopefully Si’s will sit and collect dust soon since the Integra is out now. So it’ll be easier to negotiate the price back down to MSRP.

My last note on this subject is if you can afford the extra markup, cool. However don’t negatively speak on the chances someone will have that doesn’t want to pay the extra markup. Let’s hope everyone can win at the price they’re willing to pay. For me this car or even the Si are something I want because I can finally afford them on my own and finally learned how to drive stick because I desperately have wanted a Si since I was younger.

Sorry for the rant. This has been on my mind while reading the comments. Happy Tuesday and everyone have a good week! Also good luck!

NillyVanilly

First Name
Mozart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Supra 3.0P, 2008 Miata, 2008 Tundra
No need to pay markups. Have bought two new cars recently no markup. Even got one severely reduced. Tough times are coming and luxury items are getting cut out very quick. Honda will make as many as people will buy(more than previous Gen) so no need to freak out. Used cars may be super expensive at the moment but things will normalize real soon. It also helps to have a desirable trade in like my 2021 Supra since the dealer can get a great margin on that vehicle too.

Toprarnen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IS350
No need to pay markups. Have bought two new cars recently no markup. Even got one severely reduced. Tough times are coming and luxury items are getting cut out very quick. Honda will make as many as people will buy(more than previous Gen) so no need to freak out. Used cars may be super expensive at the moment but things will normalize real soon. It also helps to have a desirable trade in like my 2021 Supra since the dealer can get a great margin on that vehicle too.
Words of wisdom from the long-time lurker (2 posts in 5 years, wow!)

NillyVanilly

First Name
Mozart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Supra 3.0P, 2008 Miata, 2008 Tundra
Words of wisdom from the long-time lurker (2 posts in 5 years, wow!)
I had two different accounts but yes, just excited for the new release so figured i would jump back in here to try and stay up to date and hopefully share a MA MSRP dealer list again like i did in 2017. I have strayed from my Honda ways but the new R looks good enough for me to give up my Supra.

Toprarnen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IS350
I had two different accounts but yes, just excited for the new release so figured i would jump back in here to try and stay up to date and hopefully share a MA MSRP dealer list again like i did in 2017. I have strayed from my Honda ways but the new R looks good enough for me to give up my Supra.
Speaking of Supras, I met a guy who had a full-tune FK8 (full exhaust, track tires, etc.), and then he drove a stock Supra 3 seconds faster around the same track. I wish I remembered the track name, because the overall lap time would affect how significant the difference is.

Back to paying/not paying markup, I wonder how much the used car market will shift in the next year or two, and how that will sway people's decisions to pay markup or not, given the extra equity (never thought I'd use that term for a vehicle) or lack thereof
Sponsored