• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Drop in K&N filter available for FL5

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
What are the longer term concerns with an aftermarket filter here? It seems like everything that isn't the OEM has worse filtration and I'd hate to lessen my engine life with an aftermarket filter.
Unless you drive in sandy places, you usually don't need to worry it too much.

The filter is a restriction because the charge of air is slower once it leave the filter, but you need something to keep dirt entering the engine and scratch the cylinder walls.

You can either have a filter that keep things very clean, but the engine does not breath e as well.

Or you can make one like Canned vegetable, where it is acceptable to have a low amount of bugs that does not make you sick. The engine breathe better, may not filter particles as well, but the engine is not going to grenade itself very quickly.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
I installed the Spoon Sports Air Cleaner last week and haven't had a chance to drive the car until this afternoon. You can now hear intake induction noise even under part throttle, windows down or rolled up. It sounds like a blow off valve but not as loud. I haven't noticed increased throttle response but it's worth mentioning I didn't drive the car back-to-back (pre-install vs. post-install). This is definitely a worthwhile modification and I recommend it. Stock exhaust valve always open + Spoon Sports Air Cleaner = :thumbsup:

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
I picked it up today and went for a drive. The filter was sent in a much bigger box.

11th Gen Honda Civic Drop in K&N filter available for FL5 20230421_153949

I chose Sprint Filter because it's dry-flow, which means I can clean it with no downtime.

With OEM filter, you somewhat need a heavy enough load and let off the gas at about 4,000 rpm just to get the turbo to make any noise.

Swapping to the Sprint Filter definitely make way more turbo noise far easier when you let off the gas. I recommend Sport Mode (or Individual Mode with Engine set at Sport), drive normal and you should hear the turbo when shifting up with a load 2nd gear and onward. You can going from 1st to 2nd, but you have to put your foot down a bit more.

On freeways, I can make turbo noise easily by applying quarter throttle in 6th gear to speed up at 5psi for a few seconds, which you don't hear a thing with the OEM filter.

Until there is a FL5 specific intake, I recommend it.

Last edited:

HONDANB

First Name
JOHN DOE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NEEDED
Today has been little mods Saturday lol! I just installed my Sprint filter as well. Love the turbo noise!! So much noticeable compared to the stock one.

Rad Ray

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
The Madness Autoworks website describes the F1 filter has being better at filtration and air flow.

“Efficiency Filtration

The Sprint Filter polyester air filters retain 93.13% of 100 μ particles (Sprint Filter P08 air filter) - 91.8% of 37 μ particles (Sprint Filter P037 air filter) - 95.22% of 100 μ particles (Sprint Filter P08F1-85 air filter) versus the 76.42% of a common 4-layer oil-soaked cotton air filter (https://madnessautoworks.com/start-shopping/performance-upgrades-madness?product_id=300015783).”
Received (from Madness Autoworks) the F1 filter, which replaced a K&N filter that I thought was a step above the OEM gauze and restrictive setup. The F1 is significantly better in terms of air flow and filtration based upon supplied specs, and is MUCH easier to clean. It’s fitment is far better too, but in defense the K&N was designed for an Acura and a close fit, but without the small lip like the OEM and F1, it sort of slumped into the air box. Informal listening suggests that the F1 is louder and clearly more noticeable than the K&N. I’m setting up to do a few spectral measurements of the acoustics at idle and light revs. Throttle response is crisp and quick. I don’t have any hard data to back that up, but seat of the pants experience was immediately evident. So, maintenance, air flow, filtration, and driving indicate a good purchase, But holy dodo, it’s friggin’ expensive!

11th Gen Honda Civic Drop in K&N filter available for FL5 IMG_8539

11th Gen Honda Civic Drop in K&N filter available for FL5 IMG_8540

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
I am curious if the P08F1-85 actually make turbo noises more audible than the standard P08 (Orange) filter. Hope someone close enough to you runs the P08 so you can compare.

LeoA86

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
This is the filter I wanted. How long did it take you to receive it? Also how much louder is it than the k and n one? Did you notice a performance difference?

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
How long did it take you to receive it? Also how much louder is it than the k and n one?
It took me a little less than a month to get it. Madness Autoworks just shipped them out recently, so they may have one ready to ship if you buy one.

The K&N one works, but it technically doesn't fit since it's meant to fit the MDX airbox instead of FL5.

You won't be disappointed with the Spring P08 (Orange). Get the P08F1-85 (Black) and it flows even better (you can actually see through the filter), but it's about 320 bucks, which some may consider getting a blow of valve instead since it cost about the same (I don't think anyone here installed one yet).

If you do get the P08F1-85, just make sure you don't mix up with the P037 (Grey), which is a high-flow heavy-duty (cost 213.99) that flows less than the P08 (Orange).

Sound/ Induction Noise ( the shit we all like to hear )
K&N : Quite auditable over the factory filter⭐⭐
PRL : Slightly quieter than the K&N filter⭐
Sprint/Spoon : Much louder than the factory filter and slightly louder than the K&N⭐⭐⭐

Overall you really can't go wrong with any of these drop in filters slight differences between them all and it pretty much comes down to personal preference on which one you want and what you are looking for whether it be value, brand, performance, price or sound:thumbsup:

Hope this will help some of you if you are looking for drop in filters :patriot:

FL5 Filter comparision.jpg

Last edited:

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
It took me a little less than a month to get it. Madness Autoworks just shipped them out recently, so they may have one ready to ship if you buy one.

The K&N one works, but it technically doesn't fit since it's meant to fit the MDX airbox instead of FL5.

You won't be disappointed with the Spring P08 (Orange). Get the P08F1-85 (Black) and it flows even better (you can actually see through the filter), but it's about 320 bucks, which some may consider getting a blow of valve instead since it cost about the same (I don't think anyone here installed one yet).
Thanks for pointing this out. I'm not sure which Sprint Filter is equivalent to the Spoon Air Cleaner but the filter media on the Spoon version is translucent. Here's a photo I took before installation.

11th Gen Honda Civic Drop in K&N filter available for FL5 IMG-20230412-WA0004

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
Thanks for pointing this out. I'm not sure which Sprint Filter is equivalent to the Spoon Air Cleaner but the filter media on the Spoon version is translucent. Here's a photo I took before installation.

IMG-20230412-WA0004.jpg
It should be the P08 since it's the same color.

Difference between P08 and P08F1-85

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
I am curious if the P08F1-85 actually make turbo noises more audible than the standard P08 (Orange) filter. Hope someone close enough to you runs the P08 so you can compare.
I have hard time believing that there is a truly noticeable sound difference between any of the drop in filters. I will say that I have only personally tested stock, K&N, and PRL. Very happy with the PRL I am currently using and I think the price makes sense. We stock the Spoon filters but to me it is hard to justify triple digits for a drop in filter of any kind.

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
Thought I would share this and show what it sounds like from the outside on a drive by:

D.I.P.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT Spyder VR4
@twostepperformance That sounds great!!! Got anymore sound clips of the resonated Miltek exhaust? Does this setup produce any drone at all? I might replicate this exact setup if drone is not present!
Sponsored