• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Bigfx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 civic type r
Doesn’t sound like the issue is the install, maybe the clamps all have exhaust leaks? Spray all the clamps with soapy water and see if anything is bubbling? I bet the clamps are the issue and the nvh from the rmm isn’t helping.
Sponsored

Shrapnel

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW 2024 Civic Type R #16838
For sure doing a RMM at the same time as exhaust is going to amplify the NVH. Makes sense to do both while you're down there, but it's also going to blur the line between how much is RMM related versus how much is exhaust related.

Hudds1089

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
After another problem filled day of lifting this car up and tinkering with the exhaust, I feel like there might be less drone in the cabin. There also might be more rattles and clunking noises when going over bumps. I'm honestly sick of this exhaust. The time, money, and effort I have put into this system for it to sound marginally better than factory with more potential for leaks accompanied by rattles and buzzing noises is just not worth it. I cannot recommend this exhaust. I had bought a nameless catback for my sti in 2019 I know prices have changed, but the quality of that exhaust was far superior and was like 1200 dollars. I feel like I just made my car annoying by adding this, I really want to keep putting the car up and trying to fix it, but I'm feeling really defeated and depressed. I'm also worried I'm going to break something again. I'll even chalk up the seat rattles to the rmm, but I'm certain the clanks and rattles are the exhaust. I'm sorry @Unity Performance for the bad review, I really tried, and will continue to try and make it work. These clamps are just terrible to work with, and there are too many of them. If you have any insight on how to adjust or fix something I'd appreciate it, other than taking it to a shop to spend more money on something I already regret spending too much on.

OP
OP
Unity Performance

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Hello again, so this morning I decided to lift the car up again and try and adjust/ re tighten some clamps to maybe eliminate some of the noises I've been hearing. I did notice I put one of the rubber exhaust hangers upside down, I'm not sure if that will really make a difference, but the exhaust was not touching anywhere that i could feel or see. I tried to adjust it to get a little more clearance from the mufflers and heat shield. I checked for leaks and began to tighten the clamp bolts to the instructed 45ft lbs and I snapped the bolt. @Unity Performance these clamps are a pain and the hardware seems pretty flimsy. I know it's just a bolt but I didn't even get it to spec and it snapped. Hopefully when it's all tightened up again I don't have anymore issues, I'm over dealing with this exhaust.

The drone is still pretty loud in the cabin especially when engine braking which I do alot. Driving at low speeds I enjoy this exhaust I can hear burbles and pops, but when driving faster it's just loud in the cabin I still don't hear an exhaust note unless I'm behind the car or in my garage. The vibrations in the car that I had could be the rear motor mount I installed at the same time as the exhaust, but I don't think the drone is helping. I really thinking you could have achieved the same tone as this exhaust by just removing the resonators from the stock exhaust.

20240323_122852.jpg
After another problem filled day of lifting this car up and tinkering with the exhaust, I feel like there might be less drone in the cabin. There also might be more rattles and clunking noises when going over bumps. I'm honestly sick of this exhaust. The time, money, and effort I have put into this system for it to sound marginally better than factory with more potential for leaks accompanied by rattles and buzzing noises is just not worth it. I cannot recommend this exhaust. I had bought a nameless catback for my sti in 2019 I know prices have changed, but the quality of that exhaust was far superior and was like 1200 dollars. I feel like I just made my car annoying by adding this, I really want to keep putting the car up and trying to fix it, but I'm feeling really defeated and depressed. I'm also worried I'm going to break something again. I'll even chalk up the seat rattles to the rmm, but I'm certain the clanks and rattles are the exhaust. I'm sorry @Unity Performance for the bad review, I really tried, and will continue to try and make it work. These clamps are just terrible to work with, and there are too many of them. If you have any insight on how to adjust or fix something I'd appreciate it, other than taking it to a shop to spend more money on something I already regret spending too much on.
Hi John, I'll get you new hardware, that won't be a problem, apologies the for the inconvenience!

I will also try and see if I can get a group call organized this coming week between yourself, lead product designer that worked on this exhaust, and myself because your experience is quite a departure from the rest that have had this exhaust including us, so I want to see and hear what can be done here to get this exhaust perfected for you.

Please share which RMM you have installed on your car, that could play a huge role in the amount of vibrations that your are feeling, but can't say until I know which one it is. I appreciate your detailed insight, I'm here to help as well

Hudds1089

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Hi John, I'll get you new hardware, that won't be a problem, apologies the for the inconvenience!

I will also try and see if I can get a group call organized this coming week between yourself, lead product designer that worked on this exhaust, and myself because your experience is quite a departure from the rest that have had this exhaust including us, so I want to see and hear what can be done here to get this exhaust perfected for you.

Please share which RMM you have installed on your car, that could play a huge role in the amount of vibrations that your are feeling, but can't say until I know which one it is. I appreciate your detailed insight, I'm here to help as well
I have the prl rmm.

I just don't see what I'm doing that could be different than anyone else? I've made sure everything is tight and nothing is in contact with the car. The heat shields were pretty close by the mufflers but weren't touching, there was little adjustment back there. I don't know if I can record a video inside the cabin if that would catch what I'm experiencing. It's just really frustrating.

I think there are too many connections requiring more clamps. The less connections you have the less clamps you need. I also think the mufflers are too large, and heavy. I think the mufflers need more clearance from the heat shields if I had go guess thats the buzzing I'm hearing, and lighter would just be better.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I agree with @Shrapnel, and it's a shame both were installed simultaneously (though I get it, you're already in the neighborhood and might as well) but these are two parts that are each known to increase NVH. It's hard to say which is the root cause (or if it's the combo of the two) but I honestly don't find the exhaust note or NVH to be much louder than my DE5. I did snap an exhaust tip clamp, but didn't think they were quite as sturdy as the exhaust clamps.

@Hudds1089 - Did you install the gasket at the front pipe connection? It was in a package that looked like a cardboard CD case. I almost missed it, personally, and imagine the result would've been unpleasant to listen to.

It stands to reason that a mod that'll make the car louder on the outside will make it louder on the inside, but I wouldn't expect buzzing.

Hudds1089

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
I agree with @Shrapnel, and it's a shame both were installed simultaneously (though I get it, you're already in the neighborhood and might as well) but these are two parts that are each known to increase NVH. It's hard to say which is the root cause (or if it's the combo of the two) but I honestly don't find the exhaust note or NVH to be much louder than my DE5. I did snap an exhaust tip clamp, but didn't think they were quite as sturdy as the exhaust clamps.

@Hudds1089 - Did you install the gasket at the front pipe connection? It was in a package that looked like a cardboard CD case. I almost missed it, personally, and imagine the result would've been unpleasant to listen to.

It stands to reason that a mod that'll make the car louder on the outside will make it louder on the inside, but I wouldn't expect buzzing.
Yes, I read your post on installation and noted the gasket, and made sure it was installed correctly.

Yeah, I'm convinced that the rmm is amplifying the buzzing that was already present in the cabin that most of us deal with and introduced the new seat lever resonating. Which is probably most annoying. I need to get a rubber cover or grease is really good. In about to go to homedepot and look for some stuff.

I don't think I should hear rattles, buzzing, and clunking under the car though. These are all new and don't see how the rmm would cause them. I think the buzzing is from the lower heat shield on the bottom panel. I might remove it and see if I can still hear it. I just have a feeling if I went with a more quality system I wouldn't have as many issues. I am also somebody who is never happy, and is having a bad week. I'm glad you enjoy your exhaust and I'm hoping I can mend it and love it too.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I am also somebody who is never happy, and is having a bad week. I'm glad you enjoy your exhaust and I'm hoping I can mend it and love it too.
I think removing the lower splash guard(s) is worth checking out--I can't imagine the exhaust making those buzz without contact, but I suppose it's possible.

If it still seems too loud in the cabin, I'd try swapping in the resonator. Buzzing drives me crazy, so I get it.

Hudds1089

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
I think removing the lower splash guard(s) is worth checking out--I can't imagine the exhaust making those buzz without contact, but I suppose it's possible.

If it still seems too loud in the cabin, I'd try swapping in the resonator. Buzzing drives me crazy, so I get it.
After I re tightened some of the clamps the interior loud drone seemed to get better. Cruising I'm 5th or 6th was a little loud but bearable. It's just crazy to me the sti I had was a muffler delete and it was loud outside but absolutely no drone.

Hudds1089

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Can anyone answer how close the front pipe should be to the drive shaft? After my last adjustment it started touching there and I don't see away to get more clearance since it's bolted to the dp. It looks like less than a 1/4 inch of clearance on the lift if I drop it down I'm sure it's less. @Unity Performance idk if you have an answer.

Bigfx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 civic type r

This is some really amazing customer service, I would like to commend yall for going all out for a customer. This kind of service is rare and it’s awesome to see people doing it.

Hudds1089

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
11th Gen Honda Civic MBRP FL5 Valved Exhaust now available for FL5 Civic Type R! 20240324_160524
So this is what I've been dealing with. I've noticed that the front pipe is rubbing against the drive shaft, and there is no way to adjust it because it's bolted on to the downpipe. There are also other rattles and noises that can be heard. I've probably had the car on the lift 6 times, taken it apart and re adjusted, and tightened it again and again, I'm done. I'm convinced this is defective. Sorry for the terrible video I did it on the fly.

11th Gen Honda Civic MBRP FL5 Valved Exhaust now available for FL5 Civic Type R! 20240324_162332

Shrapnel

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW 2024 Civic Type R #16838
Something is very wrong here. Also dealing with all the clamps on this exhaust seems like it would be a pain in the ass.

Hudds1089

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Something is very wrong here. Also dealing with all the clamps on this exhaust seems like it would be a pain in the ass.
Yep, I usually like working on my car but this has defeated me. I wish i would have gone a different route.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I gave your video a listen, and I think you've identified the source of your issue--frankly, it sounds like a stunt plane to me, and you're not going to remedy it without a gap between the front pipe and drive shaft.

I didn't get a measurement of the gap on mine, but I remember it being ~1/4". I undoubtedly have a gap, and our cars sound VERY different. I'm truly sorry for all the trouble you're going through, I'd be really frustrated too.
Sponsored