• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

OP
OP
Unity Performance

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Yours too, eh? Seems they're just cheap hose clamps. I contacted MBRP and they sent me a couple of actual exhaust clamps as replacements.

PXL_20231215_174723926.jpg
Hey that's pretty much what happened to mine too!!! I admit I feel a little relieved that it wasn't just me, honestly.

Sorry @Unity Performance for my delay in getting you pics, I'll try to send some today.

Hudds1089

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Hey guys exhaust came in yesterday, I took some pictures I will install it tomorrow and get some sound clips. Thanks @Unity Performance for your help and really fast shipping came in 2 days. Humza is great answered all my questions and I'm pretty please so far with quality. Hopefully installation goes well and I have no issues with the clamps.

OP
OP
Unity Performance

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Hey guys exhaust came in yesterday, I took some pictures I will install it tomorrow and get some sound clips. Thanks @Unity Performance for your help and really fast shipping came in 2 days. Humza is great answered all my questions and I'm pretty please so far with quality. Hopefully installation goes well and I have no issues with the clamps.
Thank You John! Looking forward to see the setup on your car :)

MBRP caught a bad batch of clamps, they were all at the exhaust tips. Unfortunately some did go out to customers, the rest have been corrected. If you need a replacement clamp, MBRP will get one out to you right away

Hudds1089

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Installed the mbrp exhaust yesterday, I did the resonator bypass for now. I started around 11am and didn't finish til 9pm. That's mostly my fault, not having better tools, and doing it alone. I also used my quick jack, which isn't supper easy installing in on your back. I had a really stubborn bolt that connected the dp to the front pipe, it was near the oil pan and I nearly stripped it. Once that was off it went a little better. I still really hate the clamps, there are so many areas I had to re adjust and tighten for leaks. The instructions weren't super clear I definitely had to wing it at times. If I hadn't watched a random YouTube video on someone else installing a different exhaust I wouldn't have known to reset the valve actuator. I was going to weigh the exhaust but just didn't have time, the package Wright was like 87 lbs. That's including an extra resonator and front pipe. The mufflers get pre assembled before mounting and they get heavy. Doing it alone on the ground was tough. If I had to guess 1 muffler was about 15 lbs or slightly more. I also think the exhaust sits kind of low at some points and came very close to touching in a few areas, and I couldn't manipulate it very much. The valve actuator wire doesn't have a good place to rest and you don't want it touching the muffler, that was a little worrysome.

I went for a quick drive this morning, and I had some burbles which was cool but not anything crazy. It didn't really hear an exhaust note, it just seemed louder in the cabin. I thought it seemed very boomy, with some drone. The exhaust really doesn't seem much different than stock just louder and boomy in the cabin, no difference in sound so far. A little disappointing after spending all day installing this. Also having more rattles and buzzing inside the cabin and under the car I'm sure it's rubbing somewhere or it's a clamp. I'm going to let it break in and make a better assessment. As of now, it seems like a payed alot of money for a slightly louder exhaust and a little drone, and alot of time and aggravation. I really hope, it comes around. If not I'll swap in the resonator. Sorry for the long post!

Also did the prl rmm and so far that feels great!

OP
OP
Unity Performance

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Installed the mbrp exhaust yesterday, I did the resonator bypass for now. I started around 11am and didn't finish til 9pm. That's mostly my fault, not having better tools, and doing it alone. I also used my quick jack, which isn't supper easy installing in on your back. I had a really stubborn bolt that connected the dp to the front pipe, it was near the oil pan and I nearly stripped it. Once that was off it went a little better. I still really hate the clamps, there are so many areas I had to re adjust and tighten for leaks. The instructions weren't super clear I definitely had to wing it at times. If I hadn't watched a random YouTube video on someone else installing a different exhaust I wouldn't have known to reset the valve actuator. I was going to weigh the exhaust but just didn't have time, the package Wright was like 87 lbs. That's including an extra resonator and front pipe. The mufflers get pre assembled before mounting and they get heavy. Doing it alone on the ground was tough. If I had to guess 1 muffler was about 15 lbs or slightly more. I also think the exhaust sits kind of low at some points and came very close to touching in a few areas, and I couldn't manipulate it very much. The valve actuator wire doesn't have a good place to rest and you don't want it touching the muffler, that was a little worrysome.

I went for a quick drive this morning, and I had some burbles which was cool but not anything crazy. It didn't really hear an exhaust note, it just seemed louder in the cabin. I thought it seemed very boomy, with some drone. The exhaust really doesn't seem much different than stock just louder and boomy in the cabin, no difference in sound so far. A little disappointing after spending all day installing this. Also having more rattles and buzzing inside the cabin and under the car I'm sure it's rubbing somewhere or it's a clamp. I'm going to let it break in and make a better assessment. As of now, it seems like a payed alot of money for a slightly louder exhaust and a little drone, and alot of time and aggravation. I really hope, it comes around. If not I'll swap in the resonator. Sorry for the long post!

Also did the prl rmm and so far that feels great!
Hey John, do you have the active sound turned off in Individual settings, that may be conflicting with the Exhaust tone. I have QuickJacks for quick wheel swaps at the shops, certainly wouldn't be a fun experience doing an exhaust + front pipe. If you want to double check all the connections I'd recommend visiting a performance shop or renting a lift as @RUNN1N did with his install. With the resonator bypass (straight pipe) you should definitely be hearing the exhaust louder inside and out - see if someone can rev and drive the car for you to get an exterior perspective :)

We just secured a new ITS shop car last week, and we'll install the MBRP this coming week on it + video the process for everyone.

Hudds1089

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Hey John, do you have the active sound turned off in Individual settings, that may be conflicting with the Exhaust tone. I have QuickJacks for quick wheel swaps at the shops, certainly wouldn't be a fun experience doing an exhaust + front pipe. If you want to double check all the connections I'd recommend visiting a performance shop or renting a lift as @RUNN1N did with his install. With the resonator bypass (straight pipe) you should definitely be hearing the exhaust louder inside and out - see if someone can rev and drive the car for you to get an exterior perspective :)

We just secured a new ITS shop car last week, and we'll install the MBRP this coming week on it + video the process for everyone.
Yes the fake engine noise is off. I'll give it some time I had my wife with me and it's cold out today so I didn't get the best first impression. I'll be updating in a few days. It's definitely louder in the cabin, my left ear felt clogged when I was done with the short drive.

Hudds1089

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Here are some pictures from before the install. I will say the exhaust is growing on me a bit, you hear a little bit of burbles when upshifting to 2nd and 3rd with regular driving. The exhaust definitely sends more vibrations through the cabin and makes the bar under the seat vibrate like a tuning fork. There is definitely some drone at certain rpm its not terrible and you can manage it with the throttle. I feel like the drone in the cabin keeps me from hearing the exhaust when driving fast, it's just so loud in the cabin. I'd like to hear it after a tune.
11th Gen Honda Civic MBRP FL5 Valved Exhaust now available for FL5 Civic Type R! 20240315_180433
11th Gen Honda Civic MBRP FL5 Valved Exhaust now available for FL5 Civic Type R! 20240315_180451
11th Gen Honda Civic MBRP FL5 Valved Exhaust now available for FL5 Civic Type R! 20240315_180504
11th Gen Honda Civic MBRP FL5 Valved Exhaust now available for FL5 Civic Type R! 20240315_180618
11th Gen Honda Civic MBRP FL5 Valved Exhaust now available for FL5 Civic Type R! 20240315_180625
11th Gen Honda Civic MBRP FL5 Valved Exhaust now available for FL5 Civic Type R! 20240315_180643
11th Gen Honda Civic MBRP FL5 Valved Exhaust now available for FL5 Civic Type R! 20240315_180701
11th Gen Honda Civic MBRP FL5 Valved Exhaust now available for FL5 Civic Type R! 20240315_180952

11th Gen Honda Civic MBRP FL5 Valved Exhaust now available for FL5 Civic Type R! 20240318_063532

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
The exhaust definitely sends more vibrations through the cabin and makes the bar under the seat vibrate like a tuning fork. There is definitely some drone at certain rpm its not terrible and you can manage it with the throttle. I feel like the drone in the cabin keeps me from hearing the exhaust when driving fast, it's just so loud in the cabin. I'd like to hear it after a tune.
As much as I hate to say you've got an installation issue, the bit about the exhaust causing vibrations in the cabin to the point that the back seat vibrates like a tuning fork tells me something isn't quite right.

Without seeing it, I suspect you have the exhaust contacting the car somewhere at/near the rear axle and it's sending that frequency straight into the car. I almost had this issue myself. It may be possible to loosen the exhaust from the optional resonator back and shimmy everything slightly toward the back to fix this issue. I say that realizing everything is rather tight and this is going to be a challenge, sorry about that.

Even 1/4" of space between the exhaust and the frame of the car will make a world of difference, because any contact between that exhaust and metal is going to be audible.

Hudds1089

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
As much as I hate to say you've got an installation issue, the bit about the exhaust causing vibrations in the cabin to the point that the back seat vibrates like a tuning fork tells me something isn't quite right.

Without seeing it, I suspect you have the exhaust contacting the car somewhere at/near the rear axle and it's sending that frequency straight into the car. I almost had this issue myself. It may be possible to loosen the exhaust from the optional resonator back and shimmy everything slightly toward the back to fix this issue. I say that realizing everything is rather tight and this is going to be a challenge, sorry about that.

Even 1/4" of space between the exhaust and the frame of the car will make a world of difference, because any contact between that exhaust and metal is going to be audible.
I plan on re checking everything, tighten anything that may have gotten worse. This isn't the first exhaust I've installed I'm fairly certain nothing was touching and everything was sitting well and not moving an inch. Well see and I'll report back. It definitely had gotten better from the first drive.

Hudds1089

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
As much as I hate to say you've got an installation issue, the bit about the exhaust causing vibrations in the cabin to the point that the back seat vibrates like a tuning fork tells me something isn't quite
It's actually the seat adjustment lever under the seat it's metal on metal vibrations.

Hudds1089

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Hello again, so this morning I decided to lift the car up again and try and adjust/ re tighten some clamps to maybe eliminate some of the noises I've been hearing. I did notice I put one of the rubber exhaust hangers upside down, I'm not sure if that will really make a difference, but the exhaust was not touching anywhere that i could feel or see. I tried to adjust it to get a little more clearance from the mufflers and heat shield. I checked for leaks and began to tighten the clamp bolts to the instructed 45ft lbs and I snapped the bolt. @Unity Performance these clamps are a pain and the hardware seems pretty flimsy. I know it's just a bolt but I didn't even get it to spec and it snapped. Hopefully when it's all tightened up again I don't have anymore issues, I'm over dealing with this exhaust.

The drone is still pretty loud in the cabin especially when engine braking which I do alot. Driving at low speeds I enjoy this exhaust I can hear burbles and pops, but when driving faster it's just loud in the cabin I still don't hear an exhaust note unless I'm behind the car or in my garage. The vibrations in the car that I had could be the rear motor mount I installed at the same time as the exhaust, but I don't think the drone is helping. I really thinking you could have achieved the same tone as this exhaust by just removing the resonators from the stock exhaust.

11th Gen Honda Civic MBRP FL5 Valved Exhaust now available for FL5 Civic Type R! 20240323_122852
Sponsored