• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Extended Range Fuel Tank?

OP
OP

HeroicDeath

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Type R, 991.2 C4GTS, GLE350d
My best guess is that you'd have to find a larger honda tank that would potentially fit in the same space. I guess someone could make an aftermarket one, but adding a larger tank without somehow changing some of the ECU code would render the mileage and range calculations wholly inaccurate.
Fun fact, in the 991 generations of Porsches, the fuel gauge is the same across cars with extended range fuel tank and the ones that didn't have it. As a result, the fuel gauge is inaccurate on the cars with extended range fuel tank as it doesn't move the needle until the tank goes to ~64L.
Sponsored

menikmati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX STI, BRZ, FL5
I totally agree. I hate this fuel tank I drive a lot for work and fill up every other day. I even ran out of gas once. I know they say you shouldnā€™t but I got things to do. I am debating about getting another car to put this away but couldnā€™t justify a new car with no miles sitting in my garage.
Try giving a fuel jug a try.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
300?! You must have an Si

With the type R, avg range I'm getting from DD usage is around 200-220.
That sounds very low. I noticed it really drops in gas mileage on trips under 10 miles. Otherwise I am seeing over 300 on every tank.
Of course, fast starts from a light, or winding it out all the way on every gear change, or just being in too high a gear, or a slight drop in air in the tires can knock off gas mileage quickly. Speaking from experience. I bought this car to drive it with intent, and generally do - but am still seeing 27.7 mpg combined average per the gauge.

atucker80

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Civic Type R, 2022 Mustang GT CS
That sounds very low. I noticed it really drops in gas mileage on trips under 10 miles. Otherwise I am seeing over 300 on every tank.
Of course, fast starts from a light, or winding it out all the way on every gear change, or just being in too high a gear, or a slight drop in air in the tires can knock off gas mileage quickly. Speaking from experience. I bought this car to drive it with intent, and generally do - but am still seeing 27.7 mpg combined average per the gauge.
Never seen a manufacturer with an accurate gauge. Manually calculating I'm averaging ~22, but car routinely reports 2-2.5 mpg higher.

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
I was just thinking today, good thing this car doesn't have an analog needle-type fuel gauge. Pretty sure you could see it moving as you drive šŸ˜†

SKINNIE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ISF, 23' BB FL5
I totally agree. I hate this fuel tank I drive a lot for work and fill up every other day. I even ran out of gas once. I know they say you shouldnā€™t but I got things to do. I am debating about getting another car to put this away but couldnā€™t justify a new car with no miles sitting in my garage.
When I first got my FL5 I daily drove it to work for 2 weeks. My round trip commute to work is around 120 miles. I had to fill up every other day also šŸ˜‚

TchnoZ33

First Name
Zaid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
I def think you are in the minority. Even when I baby the car i get MAYBE 250ā€¦normally itā€™s 210-220.

russ240

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Miata Club, 1995 911 C2, 2024 Civic Type R
I'm seeing 20-22 mpg in mixed driving, about 1/2 of that on the highway. Prior to my recent move, I had no highway driving in my daily life. I bet it would have been more like 15-18 in that scenario. Range definitely sucks. I have a Sprinter van and there are several aftermarket tank options. I put in a 47 gallon tank (stock was just under 30) and the range is amazing. I too wish for a larger aftermarket solution for the FL5, but there just isn't enough room under there for it I'm afraid.

Pekingduck

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
I donā€™t wish for aftermarket solution. I think it poor planning on the engineering. But on track when you are on the on full open throttle it doesnā€™t consume that fast compared to when I take my m3 out. I go out on session and lose about 1/3 of my tank out there compare to fl5 it barely moves.

ThanksGTA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I really don't understand y'all... you bought a track focused car and are complaining it's not good for road trips or can go long enough without refueling. If having more range is important, then you bought the wrong car.

menikmati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX STI, BRZ, FL5
Motorcycles taught me to be more strategic with fuel management. With a ~150 mile range, I would top-off if there was any doubt. Running out of gas sucks, but that isn't the fault of the car.

ABPDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
Motorcycles taught me to be more strategic with fuel management. With a ~150 mile range, I would top-off if there was any doubt. Running out of gas sucks, but that isn't the fault of the car.
Yeah. I understand being frustrated w. the size of the fuel tank (I also wish it was larger) and how often that means you have to fill up. But, running out of gas is user error, lol.

russ240

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Miata Club, 1995 911 C2, 2024 Civic Type R
I really don't understand y'all... you bought a track focused car and are complaining it's not good for road trips or can go long enough without refueling. If having more range is important, then you bought the wrong car.
It's a street car, and a fantastic one at that! I did not buy it to go to the race track. I might do a track day in it at some point if I don't want to mess with the race car, but that does not mean that for MOST of my use I don't want a decent usable range. The range on this thing is only a little bit better than the 5.0 mustangs I grew up with (or my buddy's Harley with the ridiculous "peanut" tank for that matter). There is no defending a modern car with a 200 mile usable range.

If we are going to throw stones though, I will say anyone getting 27mpg out of one of these on anything other than a road trip is not enjoying the car!
Sponsored