• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Factory lock bolts worth it?

jets-do-miami

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None - shopping for fl5
Thoughts on lock bolts for the stock wheels? about to pick up mine and did not option these

how much should I expect to pay @Dealer & are they worth it as deterrent - no one else has the tool.. . right?
Sponsored

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R; 2024 Honda Civic Touring
Look up "Removing wheel lock nuts without the key" on youtube. Then decide.

I have them but don't use them. They're just a pain to me.

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I removed mine entirely. I hate wheel locks. That's what car insurance is for.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Yeah, they cause more problems than they’re worth and aren’t a theft deterrent…unless maybe you replace ALL of your lug nuts with locks. Doing so might take thieves a little longer to remove them all.

Several years ago, a dealership charged me like $20 to remove the locks during a tire rotation. I was told the charge was because they didn’t have my wheel lock key (indeed it wasn’t in the vehicle where I thought I had left it). At that point I also told them just to leave the locks off and replace them with normal lug nuts. That was another $20 ($5 ea). Ugh! What a dumb $40 lesson! Adding insult to injury, I later found out that dealers have a universal key for wheel locks. Anyway…as you can imagine, if dealerships have universal keys for wheel locks, then so do thieves.

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
I use them. I have lock when I put the Volks on. My intention is to make it a little harder for the thieves. Even if it’s just an inconvenience.

ThanksGTA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
It’s a cheap deterrent. Most thieves look for easy opportunities. Anything can be stolen with enough time and patience.

Also the OEM wheels aren’t that expensive so kinda pointless to claim insurance.

OP
OP

jets-do-miami

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None - shopping for fl5
good points - are the locks a honda only solution or do aftermarket wheels also use them or similar feature?

Chilly613

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL1 Civic Sport Touring 6MT
Build Thread
Link
Not a fan of the factory wheel locks, I have them but never used them since I have aftermarket wheels. I use Rays lugs that the lock looks like the rest of the lugs so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Last edited:

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
good points - are the locks a honda only solution or do aftermarket wheels also use them or similar feature?
Different manufacturers make them. You just have to be sure they’re compatible with both the studs and the wheels.

S4one

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type r
To my understanding the keys are not unique. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

S4one

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type r
That’s good to know. The dealer gave me chrome lugs which was included in the car price. Unfortunately, it’s not the black ones that would match.

Darknal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Searching for a FL5 in 2024
I removed mine entirely. I hate wheel locks. That's what car insurance is for.
Insurance will always try to squirrel their way with replacements and value, maybe that's just my luck with insurance companies but they never covered the value of things associated with a vehicle.

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Insurance will always try to squirrel their way with replacements and value, maybe that's just my luck with insurance companies but they never covered the value of things associated with a vehicle.
Then your fire them! You pay all that money for protection from the unexpected! Pay attention to what you agree to, and sign!

Darknal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Searching for a FL5 in 2024
Then your fire them! You pay all that money for protection from the unexpected! Pay attention to what you agree to, and sign!
While I agree with the premise, if you're car is missing wheels you can't just make a claim with a new insurance company. That and rates being increased because of a claim.
Sponsored