• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Robert.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC2-R
Yes, @Lucky Ookami , the FK8 has a raked design that has become popular over the last couple of years (look at the new Mazda 3 for example). I too prefer the more parallel lines of the FL5.
Sponsored

Turbonium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93' EG B18C
When I look at this, I feel that the FK8 is angled / sloped / pointing down where as the FL5 is relatively more parallel with the ground. So it seems to give a more aggressive demeanor. Aside from the more sloped hood and what appears to be a higher ground clearance in the rear (which someone mentioned earlier) to give it that aggressive leaning forward look like a sprinter on a starting block, a few other visual elements also contribute. The FK8 has more angle to the creases in the door panel, the bottom of the windows show off a relatively more aggressive angle, and the same with the headlights.

Overall, I personally prefer the FL5 but I can appreciate the design direction of the FK8. I like the FK8's side vents behind the front wheels better. Maybe they could have done something similar, but have it a single paint matched color like on the FL5 rather than a black accent trim piece. I prefer the shorter length of the rear passenger window on the FK8 as it seems stretched a little too far on the FL5.
The passenger window is longer on the fl5 bc they managed to reduce the width of the c pillar. Why would you want a shorter window in the same amount of space? You could paint match like people want to do with the wing?

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback sport
For comparison of the pillar angle. Also, I tried to match the wheelbases up, but I guess that changed generation over generation as well? The sizing seems just a bit off...

1661276202950.png
Love this comparison! Funny how the FK8 was built in Europe but looks very gundam JDM Japan and the FL5 is being built in Japan but looks very sleek Euro like. Both sexy as hell. I think Honda nailed it for North America as now we have 2 CTR’s to choose from depending on if you want aggressive or sleek.

POPNTEC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5 CTR
For comparison of the pillar angle. Also, I tried to match the wheelbases up, but I guess that changed generation over generation as well? The sizing seems just a bit off...

1661276202950.png
I think the thing throwing some people off is the headlights on the 11th gen don’t sit flush with the hood line. It doesn’t bother me but I can see how it’s off putting to some.

TrackS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jordan 1
I think the thing throwing some people off is the headlights on the 11th gen don’t sit flush with the hood line. It doesn’t bother me but I can see how it’s off putting to some.
The angles on the new one seem better proportioned overall when looking at them together in that latest pic - the lines appear more in sync than the 10th. Doesn't necessarily mean better, but I like it.

Last edited:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
Guys, let’s not turn this place into a Toyota forum. Settle it like men… with a ruler :D

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
One thing that stuck me is that the FL-5 looks like the exterior will be much cheaper to produce (and fix) than the FK8. The rear, especially, has many fewer parts on the FL-5.
Maybe Honda can hold the line on MSRP with some of the possible savings. (Or maybe they can spend some of the savings on a better infotainment unit.)
I think I'm seeing this on all of their newer models, too. The HR-V and CR-V both have much simpler bumpers with fewer parts than the previous generations. I wonder how the next Accord will turn out.

Shiba Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Good point @Turbonium. Looking more closely at it again, it is more so the trim rather than the window itself. It is minor nitpick, so not enough for me to go through the trouble of paint-matching it.

NorthernLaw

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type-R Boost Blue
The shape of the FL5 is miles better when you look at them side by side, it's way too toned down ofc and there are a few other issues with it but ultimately it's looking good

Civiz

First Name
Linton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wilkis
It’s amazing how much bigger and taller the FK8 looks, especially in the back.

â—ŹMaybe just cam angle as well as the fl5 wheels being smaller.

â—ŹWhen you put both cars on similar tyres and suspension height, they look similar in terms of height

Fl5 bumper is bigger though
11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 and FK8 Civic Type R Comparison Side-by-Side Look 314998388_454899640103320_4479106920078535199_n

Fanatic

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Civic Type R and many more...
Both look good in their own way. The previous generation looks more from Transformers movie though.
Sponsored