• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

FL5 Emission and Rev-matching System Problem (P0011)

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Yea Im literally pulling off from the service center now.. earliest appointment is next week but the manager made them fit me in tomorrow morning once I started talking about it being the 3rd time and them not seeming to know why a brand new car they sold me is having the same repeated issues.
Perfect! Yeah, honestly, they shouldn’t have just cleared the CEL and let you on your way…and I think they know that, which is why they’re suddenly able to get your car in sooner than they previously told you. Regardless of Honda procedures, that’s just flat-out poor service. Put your damn wrenches down and call for help, dummies!
Sponsored

ChinoThaGod

First Name
Christianno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Have an hour before I take it to Honda.... pulled code p0011 of course which is the code thrown the last 2 times. Hopefully they actually fix something this time.

ChinoThaGod

First Name
Christianno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Perfect! Yeah, honestly, they shouldn’t have just cleared the CEL and let you on your way…and I think they know that, which is why they’re suddenly able to get your car in sooner than they previously told you. Regardless of Honda procedures, that’s just flat-out poor service. Put your damn wrenches down and call for help, dummies!
Update on my end: VTC solenoid stuck open and part needs replacement.

Genevagear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 RSX
I got the emission and rev match warning message while driving home after the purchase. Not exactly the way I wanted to wrap up my first drive. I picked up the car late in the evening so I was forced to drive home.

Does anyone know of any risks with driving the car, or should it be towed? Car seemed fine on the drive home but there was a smell of plastics getting hot. I’m assuming the smell is from the engine getting hot for the first time?

11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Emission and Rev-matching System Problem (P0011) IMG_3816

11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Emission and Rev-matching System Problem (P0011) IMG_3815

ChinoThaGod

First Name
Christianno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Wow... It didn't do it to me till after the first fill up. I don't believe there's much danger driving it this way as long as u don't floor it, at least till u get back to the dealership, but I also didn't get the "hot plastic" smell.

Driving home with a CEL after purchasing a brand new type r is crazy :/... Definitely report to Honda.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
@Genevagear Yeah. It’s fine. Just keep your RPM’s below 4k and take it back to the dealership. It’s most likely the solenoid issue that most here, who have gotten the random CEL, have dealt with. Sucks, but don’t let it spoil your experience. It’s totally fixable and under warranty. Agree, the smell is very likely just the engine being warmed up for maybe the first or second time since leaving the factory.

CaryH

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 touring 2.0T, 2005 Toyota 4runner SR5, 2012 c
Also had this issue took to dearship ,cleared the code not a problem since..don't know what triggered it....hasn't happened again all is good in the fl5.

Genevagear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 RSX
It's taken me a while to respond, but here is an update on the issue I reported above. Dealership recommended not driving the car and had it towed back. Once it arrived they reported DTC P0461 and TEMP CODE P0442. They cleared the codes and performed an evaporator system test and it passed. The evaporator system requires a 12 hour "soak" period after a test. I was instructed to drive the car home let it sit overnight for at least 12 hours and test drive it the next day. I have not had the issue since.

Stan23

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 FL5, 2002 AP1 S2000
Just happened to my car. 689 miles and only had it for a week.

[Update!] Dealer was able to look at the car right away and it was indeed code P0011 - dealer mentioned the 'fix' from Honda right now is to clear code, and replace VTC oil control valve (which is unfortunately on back order) They cleared the code, drove the car and was good, and I can take the car. I was told a real fix will be some updated software down the road, but he has no ETA. Apparently on their database, this is a well known issue. I'm sure if more people are seeing this (and it looks like this has been happening since early deliveries of the FL5) Honda will get off their butt and get the fix going!
11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Emission and Rev-matching System Problem (P0011) 1f642

Last edited:

Stan23

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 FL5, 2002 AP1 S2000
Does anyone have the part number for the vtc solenoid?
Actually I was wrong about that. They are now saying the band-aid fix is to replace the TDC (top dead center) sensor - I didn't even know there was one! Since getting the car back a few days ago, i've driven it about 300-miles with no issues so far.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
@Stan23 Good to hear! Don’t let these bugs deter you. All cars these days have so many sensors and stuff. It’s not surprising to me that there are problems here and there. The only real pain is how slow it can be to get parts. 😕

DRGN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 FL5 CTR
Same problem here where my whole dash lit up. First at 75 miles, and again now at 119. Dealership swears that it's purely a software issue, waiting on them now to tell me why it happened again less than 2 weeks after the first time

CaryH

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Already happened to me took to dealership and cleared code, hasn't happen since.....no biggie. That was about 6 months ago....

CaryH

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update!
The dealership looked into it and found no issue… They cleared DTC and performed vtc test with the hds. The test has been passed. Although they warned me if the light comes on again, it could be timing issue, which they will take my car for a long long time.

Fingers crossed. What yall think? I'm still concerned 😟
shouldnt be.
Sponsored