• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

FL5 Emission and Rev-matching System Problem (P0011)

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Could be as simple as an oil change. There will be metal particles released during break in, and the OCV's could have experienced a hiccough. Change oil and filter and try again.
Yeah, as the car doesn’t even have 3k miles yet, I was planning to get the oil changed VERY soon. It’s at 2800k now.
Sponsored

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: K20Z1 EK Civic, Golf R Mk7.5, B8 RS4
Build Thread
Link
@tezzasaurusrex No, I never use garbage fuel and never use octane below 91, as recommended (more like, required). And yes, I would expect loose valves with time and driving, but not tight valves. Even if the plugs are gapped correctly, this wouldn’t cause tight valves. The work was all done under warranty and I assume it was Honda Tech Support who told the technician to check the valves first. I think if the problem shows up again, they should definitely check the plugs (as well as the valves). Note : I think if the plugs are poorly gapped I would’ve encountered a CEL sooner and more often, given how sensitive the car is to significant misfires. Appreciate the input, though!
Sorry if my post came across like I'm assuming you're not taking care of your car and putting cheap fuel in - I most definitely didnt mean it to sound like that.
In regards to the spark plugs, I meant that if the plug plugs are out of spec (perhaps with too much gap) you could get misfires completely independant to the valve clearances - of course it wont help if the valves aren't fully seated and leaking due to being too tight. The misfires from a plug gap too large might only occur under high load so mightn't show up immediately as a CEL, on top of that the ECU needs to log a significant number of misfire events for it to finally trigger the CEL alas it might be only during a very particular condition for these misfires to occur and subsequently the CEL's to get logged.
If the dealership have lodged a tech enquiry to Honda head office in relation to these misfore codes then one would assume the plug gaps have been checked prior to getting up to the valve job based on diagnosis time reasoning - but in the off chance it has been overlooked, its worth mentioning this to the dealership if the same DTC's come up again.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
@tezzasaurusrex No worries! You’re good.
And yeah, definitely. That makes sense. If I get a CEL again and the code says it’s due to significant misfires, I’ll be sure to tell Honda service to check the plugs. I don’t think they did that…at least it wasn’t noted in the service sheet. I’m hoping this valve adjustment clears things up.

Mike_R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 / GX460
I just had this very issue pop up today while running errands. P0011 error. Car was only going about 35mph. Three days ago I had the AWE Touring exhaust installed by a reputable dealer. Then, today, this happens. Does anyone know whether that could be the cause?

I have 9,600 miles on mine. Obviously I can take it to the dealer but given the timing of when the AWE was installed, I'm afraid they're just going to chalk it up to that without much of a diagnostic investigation.

Last edited:

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
All you can do is take it in. They might ultimately clear the code and send you on your way. Just follow the process. Your car is under warranty. The code could say that it has nothing to do with your exhaust…even if they initially want to try and blame it on that. The second time the CEL comes up, they have to call Honda regardless of whatever the mechanic thinks.

Last edited:

Mike_R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 / GX460
Yeah, made an appointment for Tuesday at my dealer. Soonest available appt., which sucks bc this is my daily and I need it for work. Car drives but no boost. Just going to take it easy until I can get it in. Appreciate the input…will keep everyone updated.

All you can do is take it in. They might ultimately clear the code and send you on your way. Just follow the process. Your car is under warranty. The code could say that it has nothing to do with your exhaust…even if they initially want to try and blame it on that. The second time the CEL comes up, they have to call Honda regardless of whatever the mechanic thinks.

Mike_R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 / GX460
Update: Took the car to dealer. Mechanic is ordering a rear cam sensor and the vtc solenoid. Unfortunately with it being Thanksgiving they’re unsure of when it will be in, but hopefully early next week. So we’ll see. Hopefully that fixes the issue for me as well. Will report back once the parts are replaced.

I just had this very issue pop up today while running errands. P0011 error. Car was only going about 35mph. Three days ago I had the AWE Touring exhaust installed by a reputable dealer. Then, today, this happens. Does anyone know whether that could be the cause?

I have 9,600 miles on mine. Obviously I can take it to the dealer but given the timing of when the AWE was installed, I'm afraid they're just going to chalk it up to that without much of a diagnostic investigation.

Mike_R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 / GX460
Update: Parts installed, and issue fixed. Car is running great again.

Update: Took the car to dealer. Mechanic is ordering a rear cam sensor and the vtc solenoid. Unfortunately with it being Thanksgiving they’re unsure of when it will be in, but hopefully early next week. So we’ll see. Hopefully that fixes the issue for me as well. Will report back once the parts are replaced.

EJBFL52023

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
I too had the CEL illuminate recently. I have a great dealer whom I've worked with for years-Hopkins Honda in Hopkins, MN. My 2023 Type R had about 10,500 miles when light came on with emissions warning and rev match fault during routine driving. Car went in to "limp mode" of course. Dealer said code fault was also P0011 which they reset. They also said that this is a problem that Honda is aware of and is working on a permanent fix. They weren't certain but it may be a software solution. They also said that if indication returns, I can just come in without an appointment for another reset, etc. It's only been a couple weeks but so far so good. No CEL on yet.

kevinh

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2019 Honda insight
Just got this same error while taking the car in for PPF. Car only has 300 miles on it so when I pick the car up next week from PPF will be taking it into the dealer.

ChinoThaGod

First Name
Christianno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R

What a coincidence... I just had wheels put on at a reputable dealer and my dash lit up like a Christmas tree a few hours later. 3rd time for me... I wonder if there's something to that. 🤔

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
What a coincidence... I just had wheels put on at a reputable dealer and my dash lit up like a Christmas tree a few hours later. 3rd time for me... I wonder if there's something to that. 🤔
It has nothing to do with getting new wheels. Are you taking your car to Honda Service every time the CEL pops up? If not, I mean, this issue is not going to resolve itself and you will continue to get random CELs.

ChinoThaGod

First Name
Christianno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
It has nothing to do with getting new wheels. Are you taking your car to Honda Service every time the CEL pops up? If not, I mean, this issue is not going to resolve itself and you will continue to get random CELs.
Well of course I do... They never know what it is unfortunately and it just gets cleared and it's business as usual for a few thousand miles lol

And as ridiculous as it sounds... I'm half joking about the getting parts installed thing because now that I think about it I'm pretty sure the second time it happened I had just got springs installed. 😂

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Well of course I do... They never know what it is unfortunately and it just gets cleared and it's business as usual for a few thousand miles lol
Good! Some people are doing goofy shit and just clearing the CELs at AutoZone and driving. Regarding your situation, after the 2nd time (same CEL / same issue) they are supposed to contact Honda’s main service line for a fix. It’s a process. They need to follow it. Go back to the Service dept and make them do their job.

ChinoThaGod

First Name
Christianno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Good! Some people are doing goofy shit and just clearing the CELs at AutoZone and driving. Regarding your situation, after the 2nd time (same CEL / same issue) they are supposed to contact Honda’s main service line for a fix. It’s a process. They need to follow it. Go back to the Service dept and make them do their job.
Yea Im literally pulling off from the service center now.. earliest appointment is next week but the manager made them fit me in tomorrow morning once I started talking about it being the 3rd time and them not seeming to know why a brand new car they sold me is having the same repeated issues.
Sponsored