• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
After being involved in this thread, I got a little bit curious and opened the valve. Definitely no difference with the way it runs, of course, but the sound difference is pretty much nonexistent. I guess I can tell if I blip the throttle in my garage, that’s about it.

My ricer side can’t help but think I might be gaining a couple of ponies with the Hondata tune supplementing the slight extra flow at low rpm, so I’m leaving it open for now.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Yeah, with the valve open I think there’s a little more low rumble at low rpms. I’ve found it’s not a significant enough difference (to me), despite my initial excitement. But hey, it was easy and FREE to try it.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
Yeah, with the valve open I think there’s a little more low rumble at low rpms. I’ve found it’s not a significant enough difference (to me), despite my initial excitement. But hey, it was easy and FREE to try it.
Yeah the exhaust is still going through both resonators and just a tad bit smaller muffler. So the change will be minimal. Once I get my downpipe hopefully some better sound will come out of that engine. It sounds like a vacuum cleaner😂.

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
I got around to trying this today and I'm pretty happy with it. I love that it adds a tiny bit of "boominess" as I call it, particularly at low revs, but with no drone penalty once moving. I did this experiment with my GR Corolla and the drone at 45-55 mph was unbearable, made me nauseous o_O

In the CTR it actually helps me get going smoothly more consistently. The improved auditory feedback (as if there is any otherwise!) makes it easier to give the right amount of throttle starting off. This finally settles me on the +R engine setting. I was torn on that for a while because Comfort and Sport seemed less touchy for getting moving but sucked for blipping the throttle on downshifts. +R actually gives me what I want when I blip, so I kept it there deciding I'd get used to it for getting rolling. This seems to help a lot.

And my wife loves it. As subtle as it is she can now hear me coming down the street, same as with my prior DD's which she missed with the Civic. She couldn't even hear me backing down the driveway. She said she likes how the kids and animals can tell I'm coming and get excited, but I suspect it's her signal to scoot her boyfriend out the back door 🤣 happy wife, happy life :dunno:

MSUGeoman

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R #2486
Yeah the exhaust is still going through both resonators and just a tad bit smaller muffler. So the change will be minimal. Once I get my downpipe hopefully some better sound will come out of that engine. It sounds like a vacuum cleaner😂.
Got my downpipe on this past weekend plus did the valve bypass and I think it sounds good now. Still want it louder but I’ll drive it a while and see. Downpipe definitely bumped the sound up a bit, not a ton but noticeable. After looking at the stock front pipe, that’ll likely be the next step, trouble is some exhaust options have their own design for this so I don’t want to end up limited to only certain types if I chose to do just the frontpipe. Won’t do a slip fit exhaust so that definitely limits options as well.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Got my downpipe on this past weekend plus did the valve bypass and I think it sounds good now. Still want it louder but I’ll drive it a while and see. Downpipe definitely bumped the sound up a bit, not a ton but noticeable. After looking at the stock front pipe, that’ll likely be the next step, trouble is some exhaust options have their own design for this so I don’t want to end up limited to only certain types if I chose to do just the frontpipe. Won’t do a slip fit exhaust so that definitely limits options as well.
I’m still waiting on my downpipe😂

MSUGeoman

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R #2486
I’m still waiting on my downpipe😂
Dang man, who’d you order it from? I ended up finding a great deal on a lightly used local 27Won from a prior FK8 owner otherwise I would have either gotten a new one from them eventually.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Dang man, who’d you order it from? I ended up finding a great deal on a lightly used local 27Won from a prior FK8 owner otherwise I would have either gotten a new one from them eventually.
its a new product coming out that has not been released yet. So it was a preorder.

MSUGeoman

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R #2486
its a new product coming out that has not been released yet. So it was a preorder.
Best of luck sir, interested to see what you went with. My goals at this point are OE+ so most likely will be done after exhaust. Might do some cosmetics but I’m still undecided about that. Owned a lot of cars and driven a lot I didn’t own, by far this is my favorite so don’t want to change that against my 80s-90d tuner core.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Best of luck sir, interested to see what you went with. My goals at this point are OE+ so most likely will be done after exhaust. Might do some cosmetics but I’m still undecided about that. Owned a lot of cars and driven a lot I didn’t own, by far this is my favorite so don’t want to change that against my 80s-90d tuner core.
Mine goal is a little more aggressive but while maintaining that stock reliability and driving feeling. Just with a little more omph. I tried driving the car with a stock map the other day and I could not. The car feels so slow that it just does not compare.

MrMari

First Name
Marian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 and FK8
Hi,

can someone help me out. My fuse layout (European 2023 FL5) is different than the one in the pictures. No fuse for the valve.

plus, no scheme for the fuses. Does anyone know which fuse is the one for the valve with my layout?

11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 stock exhaust valve: Fuse pulled/always open - exterior sound clips IMG_2383

f22xclusive

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Passport, 2024 Honda Civic Type R
Theoretically that makes sense; however, the initial opening of the valve wasn't as simple as just pulling the fuse. There was a sequence of steps in order to keep the valve open.

@TheTopher , or anyone else, have you gone back to stock exhaust valve operation? If so, can you confirm the order of operations? Thanks.
Just be sure to put it back in place. I kept putting the fuse back in the wrong spot and it didn’t close. Finally I put it in the right spot and it closed. I kept it open though.

f22xclusive

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Passport, 2024 Honda Civic Type R
The AWE exhaust is non-valved. It works with stock tune/ECU. Are cars stalling?
I was thinking the same thing. When you change the exhaust to ones that don’t have a valve, is there a cold start issue with them as well using the factory mapping ?

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
I was thinking the same thing. When you change the exhaust to ones that don’t have a valve, is there a cold start issue with them as well using the factory mapping ?
I've had my AWE since October, and I can report zero issues.

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
I've had no issues with valve open, 2000-ish miles. Small resonator delete since 600 miles or so. I was thinking the issue people are reporting could be that with the valve open they notice more exactly how the engine is behaving. Normal rough-seeming engine behavior that would be be undetectable with valve closed are now noticeable. Just putting that out there.

My only worry with leaving the valve stuck open is whether it will be bad for it somehow. I'd love to remove the mechanism to get it away from environmental exposure and preserve it even though I can't imagine ever using it again.
Sponsored