• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Daniel Boffa

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Type R
I couldn't agree more with what @fredzy regarding this mod improving the sound and feel of the car and therefore helping set off. It was too quiet before which meant even though I may have been pushing the throttle I couldn't actually hear or feel it in the low RPM range which meant in order to let the clutch out id have to look down. I guess this is a biproduct of refinement! Regardless, with the valve open it increases NVH just the slightest amount which improves both feel and sound. I couldn't recommend this enough.

I'd also like to add my 2 cents on the issue brought up in this thread about the car stuttering/hesitating. This happens in my car when it is not fully warmed up both before I pulled the fuse, after I pulled the fuse, and again this morning when I tested it again with the fuse back in. So you are not alone in that feeling. In my opinion I don't think it is anything to worry but time will tell.

Ultimately lets recognize that the folks who mentioned this had good intentions in attempting to alert others in the community of a potential issue and should absolutely be appreciated. However, you have to exercise caution when stating things as fact that are not tested and proven, instead look to confirm with others and/or experts. I think we can agree that guessing at what the engineers may have intended is not a valid basis of argument. You could however, ask exhaust manufacturers what they are finding in their extensive testing of systems both with and without the valve, or even ask people who run those systems.
Sponsored

Imped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 Golf R, ND2 Miata
I couldn't agree more with what @fredzy regarding this mod improving the sound and feel of the car and therefore helping set off. It was too quiet before which meant even though I may have been pushing the throttle I couldn't actually hear or feel it in the low RPM range which meant in order to let the clutch out id have to look down. I guess this is a biproduct of refinement! Regardless, with the valve open it increases NVH just the slightest amount which improves both feel and sound. I couldn't recommend this enough.
I recommend the PRL RMM for just a little more positive NVH. Combined with the open valve, you'll really enjoy things.

fj80psi

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95,06,08 Land Cruisers, MX P85D, 24' Type R, 356
Thanks for the tip. This am I removed the small Resonator and opened the valve. The Exhaust is very controlled and deep. Sounds great for a daily driver!

f22xclusive

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Passport, 2024 Honda Civic Type R
I put my fuse back in last night. I've noticed a few quirks during cold start driving that could be attributed to the valve being open. There has to be a reason Honda kept the valve closed at low RPM in +R mode since even with it open it's not that loud. On cold starts all of the exhaust is coming out of the center pipe which could change the flow and the car is trying to compensate.

This is all a theory and I'll report back after some more driving.
I plugged my fuse back in as well. I noticed the turbo took too long to spool up. Perhaps the two small ports are there to help build exhaust velocity for a faster turbo spool up

f22xclusive

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I decided to put the fuse back in. I have followed this topic but I didn't think I had any issues to be honest.

I had moments every now and again where I felt hesitation. Twice I felt like... did I just drop my clutch?

Now that the fuse is back in... call me crazy but I feel like the car is happier for it. There is a smoothness that I didn't notice I lost but now that the fuse is back in, it feels like a welcome addition.

Could be all in my mind but I'm certainly convinced.
I had the exhaust valve fuse pulled for a few days and it felt to me like I had to give it more throttle to get off first gear. Putting the fuse back in felt much more responsive. Iā€™d like to see a dunk run showing if the engine builds power sooner with the fuse in compared to without. It felt to me like the car took too long to build up boost while driving also.

f22xclusive

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry I did not mention the increased flow, my bad thought it was obvious. Its there for sound, simple as that. The previous gen did not have a valve so the increased flow was already there. Iā€™m not trying to sound smart and neither am spewing BS. I guess the engineers forgot to put the valve on the FK8. Must have been an oversight on their part but they canā€™t be wrong because they are engineers. Not everything they make works just fyi.

Have it your way, its apparent that I struck some chords with some people and you are obviously upset. Do what works for you, I will live happily with a deleted valve and enjoy my warm weather without a shuddering car. Not going to waste my time on this anymore. I will just sit back and watch.
The FK8 had 3 tips but the center had no flow through it. Therefore it only ran exhaust out the 2 side ports.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
The FK8 had 3 tips but the center had no flow through it. Therefore it only ran exhaust out the 2 side ports.
I know the center section was not functional of the FK8, but either way it wonā€™t affect anything. If not people would be having issues left and right with exhausts.

If you feel more comfortable running the valve run it like that. But it really does not make a difference in behavior.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
@Jester04 knows best

After my initial excitement (placebo effect) running fuseless for several months, I put the fuse back in and neither felt nor heard any considerable difference. I just run it as-is (fuse in) now and enjoy less soot build-up on the center exhaust tip.šŸ˜‰

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
Fuse out for several thousand miles and various weather conditions with no Iā€™ll effects. I like the consistency in exhaust sound by just having the valve open all the time.

f22xclusive

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've had my AWE since October, and I can report zero issues.
It looks like AWE utilizes one port even though it has a triple tip. I canā€™t say because Iā€™m on factory exhaust but from what Iā€™ve seen, it looks like theyā€™re built that way. Thatā€™s like the FK8 OEM exhaust. 3 tip exhaust but itā€™s not using the center exhaust at all.

f22xclusive

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know the center section was not functional of the FK8, but either way it wonā€™t affect anything. If not people would be having issues left and right with exhausts.

If you feel more comfortable running the valve run it like that. But it really does not make a difference in behavior.
This is gonna be an ongoing battle with people saying ā€œrun it openā€ to ā€œkeep it OEā€ due to possible running issues. I want to see a dyno test with and without the valve open. That will determine if it makes a difference in performance or not. The dyno test will definitely show if thereā€™s a loss in power or a delay in power on low RPMs or not.

Last edited:

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
This is gonna be an ongoing battle with people saying ā€œrun it openā€ to ā€œkeep it OEā€ due to possible running issues. I want to see a dyno test with and without the valve open. That will determine if it makes a difference in performance or not. The dyno test will definitely show if thereā€™s a loss in power or a delay in power on low RPMs or not.
If you mean typical power pulls on the dyno I don't think it will show anything because the the valve will be open through most of both pulls. I don't know that you could run a meaningful test on a dyno to capture possible subtle differences in low end/part throttle power.

First Name
Terrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Civic Si
Plug the fuse back in the same spot and cycle the ignition.
Iā€™m not sure what the original instructions wereā€”or if they even changedā€”but I think I pulled the fuse and maybe cycled ignition and put it back? Itā€™s possible I did it wrong and it never worked to begin but I didnā€™t need to put it back because it was still plugged in. I feel like Iā€™m being incredibly dense, here. šŸ˜‚
Sponsored