• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

machimself

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Okay, I figured it out - the trick is to ignition on in-between.

So, car is off, valve is closed:
1. Pull fuse, ignition on, ignition off.
2. Replace fuse with the car off, valve should open. Then you can pull the fuse again and you're all set.

I drove for a while with the valve unplugged, that's why when I plugged it back in, it immediately opened. This way you don't have to get under the car and can just do everything in the fuse box.
Just to be clear, for this to work you end up with the fuse out entirely right? I got it to the open stage, now I just pull the fuse and it stays open for-ev-ver?

Edit: this is what I did and it seems good to go, just want to make sure I keep the fuse out.

Edit 2: I should have planned this before I knew I could go driving. I'm probably way more excited about this than I should be!

Last edited:

Village911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 #839
I did it this morning and took me about 2 minutes.

Now the sound of the exhaust is perfect to my taste and does not need any aftermarket exhaust system! (who needs tomei :nixon:)

Here is my current setting after fusebox work:

11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 stock exhaust valve: Fuse pulled/always open - exterior sound clips 20230406_123637

Love my car 10X more... Thanks, @TheTopher !!

Endlesspearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
Great tip. Thanks TheTopher

keep doing what you are doing!

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
Pretty sure you can just put the fuse back in and power cycle the car. If it's a fused circuit it's designed to lose power and when power returns it should function like normal.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Pretty sure you can just put the fuse back in and power cycle the car. If it's a fused circuit it's designed to lose power and when power returns it should function like normal.
Theoretically that makes sense; however, the initial opening of the valve wasn't as simple as just pulling the fuse. There was a sequence of steps in order to keep the valve open.

@TheTopher , or anyone else, have you gone back to stock exhaust valve operation? If so, can you confirm the order of operations? Thanks.

OP
OP
TheTopher

TheTopher

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
Theoretically that makes sense; however, the initial opening of the valve wasn't as simple as just pulling the fuse. There was a sequence of steps in order to keep the valve open.

@TheTopher , or anyone else, have you gone back to stock exhaust valve operation? If so, can you confirm the order of operations? Thanks.
Yep, just plug it back in and all will be back to normal.

Bsnyder6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2005 Wrangler
Sure glad this worked I somehow managed to drop the fuse into the engine bay...twice. Lord knows where they landed

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
I put my fuse back in last night. I've noticed a few quirks during cold start driving that could be attributed to the valve being open. There has to be a reason Honda kept the valve closed at low RPM in +R mode since even with it open it's not that loud. On cold starts all of the exhaust is coming out of the center pipe which could change the flow and the car is trying to compensate.

This is all a theory and I'll report back after some more driving.

Bsnyder6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I put my fuse back in last night. I've noticed a few quirks during cold start driving that could be attributed to the valve being open. There has to be a reason Honda kept the valve closed at low RPM in +R mode since even with it open it's not that loud. On cold starts all of the exhaust is coming out of the center pipe which could change the flow and the car is trying to compensate.

This is all a theory and I'll report back after some more driving.
What quirks have you noticed?

OP
OP
TheTopher

TheTopher

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
What quirks have you noticed?
I've noticed some rougher cold start behavior too for the first few minutes of driving, but from the beginning of ownership (well before pulling the valve fuse). The open valve is so far back in the exhaust system I doubt it affects flow, just enhances what may have been happening already.

Bsnyder6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've noticed some rougher cold start behavior too for the first few minutes of driving, but from the beginning of ownership (well before pulling the valve fuse). The open valve is so far back in the exhaust system I doubt it affects flow, just enhances what may have been happening already.
Makes sense. Think there might be just a hair more vibration but felt about the same as when waking the car up in the dead of winter.
Sponsored