• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

TimeRacer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Prelude
Fingers crossed that this means "for the first year only" or something. I was hoping that having two factories churning them out would alleviate some supply issues we've seen in the past. Unless I'm mischaracterizing the issue and supply for the FK8 was actually fine
Doesn't make sense to change production sites mid cycle after establishing all those supply chain routes & agreements and hiring the production capacity then tear them all up in a year. I'm all for JHM on the VIN but it's going to be all or none (pre-production can be built anywhere). There might be enough parts that are unique to the Type-R Honda decided to have all of them built in one facility and have the LHD gubbings shipped to Japan rather than export the Type-R bits to the LHD facility in the US. Considering a lot of these parts are large, like most of the bodywork, I could see how it would make more sense to build both RHD & LHD in the same facility. But really won't know til they announce.
Sponsored

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
is honda already building civics in japan? I ask because hardly any other country buys Civics other than the US. It really wouldn't make sense to build so many cars and ship them to the US.

Andjoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R - CW #19431 - Sold
is honda already building civics in japan? I ask because hardly any other country buys Civics other than the US. It really wouldn't make sense to build so many cars and ship them to the US.
10th gen was built in the UK and shipped to the US, so why would this be so far-fetched?

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating 3880 lbs for 2020 type r

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is the total weight of the vehicle, Car + payload
assume the payload capacity is the same for both gens
3968-3880=88lbs weight increase

2020 type r Curb Weight (just the vehicle) was 3117 lbs. + 88lbs =3205lbs for 11th gen

using figures from this website:https://www.curryhondamass.com/vehicles.cfm/make/honda/model/civic/year/2020/level/400909209/
Unless, perhaps by using non rubber band tires (or other means) the weight carrying capacity has gone up for FL5, in which case it could even be lighter! ;) Kidding, but maybe see what the curb weight to GVWR delta is for a '22 Civic hatch and use that math?

I highly doubt they will build any in Ohio now, ever. Thinking it through, there is no way they'd tool up two plants for this car, or get to the point in one plant that they could build what we see here and then move it.

The only reason this is definitely bad news is that buyers can expect a typically 3-5 week longer wait for a car, but maybe much more. For example, issues at ports this year have meant cars sitting at ports a lot longer than usual. I was hopeful for a little bit better availability and being built in Ohio seemed maybe conducive to that, but I don't think we could speculate either way. I feel like any push by Honda to make more of these will be easily outstripped by increased demand for this thing vs. FK8. I hope they do plan to build more.

ctrc2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model3
GRC will be built in Japan.. so maybe not so wildly inaccurate/inconceivable that CTR will be too.

TimeRacer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Prelude
GRC will be built in Japan.. so maybe not so wildly inaccurate/inconceivable that CTR will be too.
Different companies with different priorities. Motomachi is simply where all the prized Toyota/Lexus cars are built. It even houses a special section for the GR build team where all the GR built cars (not the GR86 which is built by Subaru, GR Supra is built by a BMW subsidiary) are built. It's Toyota's best builders with the highest standards. For Honda, the NSX Type-S is being built in Honda's performance manufacturing center in Ohio. The Civic LHD hatchback is being produced in Greensburg Indiana. The previous FK8 hatchback I believe was all built in the UK Swindon plant regardless of market.

This generation Honda decided to split the manufacturing between Greensburg Indiana (not Ohio guys!) for the LHD and Yorii for RHD at least for the hatchback. It's now just a toss up to if they're going to build all the Type-R's in a single location or split it up between drive side.

Village911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 #839
Advantage of building them in the US is we dont' have to wait for ships to be on the sea for a month
And possibly more units available for the US. Its a good and bad situation for me... haha

Last edited:

craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX
Yen has taken a huge shit so in theory there should be less price pressure if they are imported.

Unlikely they will give us a break on MSRP right now but in a recession it might alleviate current inflationary trends.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
I guess I'm exceeding the GVW if it's only 800lbs. Had 4 adults in my car the other day which put it at over 1k.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
This is still not final, but doesn't sound promising for the new gen being the same or lighter. Even with more power, more weight would not be welcome. As for all of the new gen being built in Japan, somehow I doubt it. There are strong financial incentives to build elsewhere. I am happy with my Swindon CTR. One built in Japan would be a plus of course. As long as they build and export enough for all the enthusiasts who want to drive one. Which they probably won't.

ctrc2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model3
This is still not final, but doesn't sound promising for the new gen being the same or lighter. Even with more power, more weight would not be welcome. As for all of the new gen being built in Japan, somehow I doubt it. There are strong financial incentives to build elsewhere. I am happy with my Swindon CTR. One built in Japan would be a plus of course. As long as they build and export enough for all the enthusiasts who want to drive one. Which they probably won't.
https://www.civicxi.com/forum/threa...-2023-civic-type-r-underway.50913/post-826391
per this, the chassis does seem lighter. so my question is, is the rest of the car making the GVWR higher vs FK8 due to other components? or is the chassis able to handle more load due to it being newer/better (is this even possible?) ?