• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
4 people over 1000lbs…. Murrrica!
Lol. True. I'm only 230 others were about 250,270,290. Haha big guy sat in back and he's 6'5"
Sponsored

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Even an extra 88 pounds or so on the new Type R will not be welcome. Of course, with more power that extra weight won't hurt. Much.

This: That is about the same weight bump from an LE to a touring FK8.

So if the reports are correct, my FK8 will be like an LE compared to the FL5, weight wise. :cool:

The real improvement is better cooling. Performance tracking. Tire/ wheel setup? Not a fan. Wider tires - good. Smaller wheels- bad. Same exact ultra low profile? Why bother changing then? Oh yeah, that's right, the new FL5 body is wider so they had to go with a different setup.

Trying unsuccessfully to withhold final judgment until this 'released' new model has road tests we can check out.

Based on what I know so far, I am putting in my reservation....for dinner.

TimeRacer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Prelude
Even an extra 88 pounds or so on the new Type R will not be welcome. Of course, with more power that extra weight won't hurt. Much.

So if the reports are correct, my FK8 will be like an LE compared to the FL5, weight wise. :cool:

The real improvement is better cooling. Performance tracking. Tire/ wheel setup? Not a fan. Wider tires - good. Smaller wheels- bad. Same exact ultra low profile? Why bother changing then? Oh yeah, that's right, the new FL5 body is wider so they had to go with a different setup.

Trying unsuccessfully to withhold final judgment until this 'released' new model has road tests we can check out.

The new car is longer and wider than the outgoing one. That extra size has to add some weight somewhere. But the LE received a few other upgrades as well to the weight reduction so it's not simply just weight. Additionally it seems the new car will retain a decent sound system and still keeps the speaker grill for the subwoofer in the rear. So if weight really is the issue for you, it seems it would be fairly easy to shed some weight without really compromising the car.

As for the performance, bigger wheels aren't always better and it's more about today's consumer demanded aesthetics of wanting the biggest wheel possible. The 265/30's will have a centimeter more sidewall than the previous generation. That's a good thing! Look at every highest echelon racing series. Do they run rubber band tires on the biggest rims? Nope. Because unless it's the smoothest most buffed out track in the world, it's not faster. It's entirely the consumers who don't care about track focused performance who want big wheels for the looks. Almost anyone who will take this car to the track regularly will buy 18" wheels or whatever wheels that just fit over the brakes. Tire availability is better and track times will likely be better not having the sidewall completely compress sending the wheel rate to infinity. Also don't think Honda had to go with a wider setup just because of a wider car. They could of just as easily put the same wheels on the FL5 as the FK8 just like FK8 owners have put wider wheels and tires on their cars. It's all tradeoffs for Honda for performance/cost/consumer demand/comfort/aesthetics.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you, a very thoughtful response.

I don't like big wheels per se - I just like wheel setups that fit the car. I was more than fine with the factory 205/50/15 rear 185/55/15 front setup on my MR2. Never drove it and thought - gee, it needs bigger wheels. But the Championship White Type R with 18's I saw once just looked weird.
Maybe it drove better. Maybe it didn't.

The legendary Randy Pobst had success with a custom setup swapped out for him by some Tire Rack on his Type R track video, so clearly there are advantages.

So I get it. Still remains to be seen once they truly release the new car just how successful the changes are.
I did enjoy the last set of Michelin PS4's I ran on my SI. So that part computes.

For now, I will keep feeding my FK8 Conti's, which it eats like Pop Tarts.

Here's hoping we get to see a real FL5 release this fall.

TimeRacer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Prelude
Thank you, a very thoughtful response.

I don't like big wheels per se - I just like wheel setups that fit the car. I was more than fine with the factory 205/50/15 rear 185/55/15 front setup on my MR2. Never drove it and thought - gee, it needs bigger wheels. But the Championship White Type R with 18's I saw once just looked weird.
Maybe it drove better. Maybe it didn't.

The legendary Randy Pobst had success with a custom setup swapped out for him by some Tire Rack on his Type R track video, so clearly there are advantages.

So I get it. Still remains to be seen once they truly release the new car just how successful the changes are.
I did enjoy the last set of Michelin PS4's I ran on my SI. So that part computes.

For now, I will keep feeding my FK8 Conti's, which it eats like Pop Tarts.

Here's hoping we get to see a real FL5 release this fall.
In short aesthetics, which is cool as we all know that's part of what sells a car.

I looked up the Randy Pobst article and unsurprisingly they used 255/40/18 tires and gained over 1.5 seconds a lap. So wider tread and taller sidewall netting a 1.6% lap time reduction (of course different compounds, tread and internal construction of the tire). In this case the 255/40/18 gives a full inch more sidewall to not smash down entirely during high G turns. This also allows the sidewall to load up better during 0-60 and quarter mile attempts as that 20" wheel is part of the reason why the FK8 is so difficult to launch consistently. Listen to Randy or any person who's put in competitive seat time. Rubber band tires aren't for going fast - it's for looking fast.

Mmkk111

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX Type S
In short aesthetics, which is cool as we all know that's part of what sells a car.

I looked up the Randy Pobst article and unsurprisingly they used 255/40/18 tires and gained over 1.5 seconds a lap. So wider tread and taller sidewall netting a 1.6% lap time reduction (of course different compounds, tread and internal construction of the tire). In this case the 255/40/18 gives a full inch more sidewall to not smash down entirely during high G turns. This also allows the sidewall to load up better during 0-60 and quarter mile attempts as that 20" wheel is part of the reason why the FK8 is so difficult to launch consistently. Listen to Randy or any person who's put in competitive seat time. Rubber band tires aren't for going fast - it's for looking fast.
Also the unsprung weight savings you get with lighter/smaller wheel and tire packages.

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
Some of that extra weight is going to negate the extra power gains, so maybe a tad faster only. First thing I would do is to change those wheels , putting lighter wheels on my Si was very noticeable, it felt like gaining more power just from a weight reduction.

giger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FD2
I just read that the wheels are forged! If that's true that's a decent weight saving right there.

Mmkk111

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX Type S
I just read that the wheels are forged! If that's true that's a decent weight saving right there.
That would be awesome. This guy from Honda mentions cast alloy wheels (around the 2:00 point) in his review…so I guess time will tell as we get more info

Last edited:

FLRib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FK8
Some of that extra weight is going to negate the extra power gains, so maybe a tad faster only. First thing I would do is to change those wheels , putting lighter wheels on my Si was very noticeable, it felt like gaining more power just from a weight reduction.
Name your source about the extra weight. This is pure speculation! Honda have not release any information about the Curb weight of the FL5

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST

One less to worry about getting in my way. Thank you kind sir.

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
Name your source about the extra weight. This is pure speculation! Honda have not release any information about the Curb weight of the FL5
My source is some guy in this thread. If the gross vehicle weight is up chances are that the curb weight will be up too, as max. payload weight won't likely change by much. But at the end of the day I really don't care so yeah whatever. The numbers on power output aren't even known, power gains could even be zero as you can't believe anything leaked on the internet, so posting in threads right now is pretty much useless as I now see.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

This: My point exactly- why go to 19's and still have a 30 sidewall? Instead of a 40 or at least a 35?
Sponsored