• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Has anyone experienced "sticky steering" with their 2023 Civic Type R?

Dennis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic e:Hev
Japanese market goes to FL4? Is there a Si hatch?
FL4 is the hybrid hatchback.

This, the issue with the civic power steering is caused by a gearbox on the EPS rack. The FL5 does not use that specific gearbox. The entire power steering system is unique to the Type R.
That's true and I'm happy this issue isn't spreading onto LHD Type R models.
Assuming both steering racks are being sourced from the same manufacturer, an investigation on the faulty design should be easier for them.

JAMSXR

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C63
FL5 Type R owner here. I’ve 100% experienced the issue today on the motorway/highway. When cruising and a minor adjustment is require the steering becomes ‘sticky’ and requires a more firm input, meaning you overcompensate. It’s a very subtle issue, but becomes frustrating after a while.

You need to be on long straight stretches of road to experience the problem.

I’m in touch with my dealer for them to investigate…

JAMSXR

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C63

Naija Bull

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Do you guys also feel some weird sticky steering motions when making a sharp u-turn lock for lock?

Biscuitpie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000, 2018 340i
100% happening on my Type R. It's extremely annoying making any microadjustments on the highway, but that's the only time it bothers me

Audiocholic

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sedan 1.5 Turbo
Thanks for this update.
Sticky steering sadly affects even our FL4 Civics manufactured in Japan, but Honda in Europe seems clueless and hasn't provided a technical bulletin for their workshops yet.
my local dealer was extremely fast on catching on this,aware of the situation though it wasnt globally excepted at that date (fall of 2022) and took immediate action not only on ordering a new part but actually did something I havent read here once, they actually removed the existing steering that was faulty and readjusted it and even told me look listen it will drive like new and will only repeat in a matter of time likely just as fast as the original one did and that was exactly what happened but I had the comfort of driving my car once again like new untill the new part arrived which took 3 and half months.

when time came for replacement after the part arrived they actually did not make the misstake that the other dealer have made of improperly calibrating the part (the recent recall of FE civics)

for the past 36000km my car has been fault free and I could not be any happier so though I wouldnt consider my local dealer an EU dealer (Turkey) they were far from clueless infact far far ahead of the game compared to what I have read here so far.

JAMSXR

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C63
After experiencing it for 6 hours during a single journey, I’ve not experienced it over the last few drives (200 miles).

Honda U.K. seem to be ignoring the problem so I’ve written to them.

Dennis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic e:Hev
for the past 36000km my car has been fault free and I could not be any happier so though I wouldnt consider my local dealer an EU dealer (Turkey) they were far from clueless infact far far ahead of the game compared to what I have read here so far.
I'm glad to hear you happy for your dealer support, sadly I haven't any evidence for this to be the Honda EU line of action.

Like JAMSXR, my car's steering issue is being totally discarded as "they'll drive like this, no problem, just disable Honda Sensing and it'll be fine".
A fucking nightmare.

evanescent03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ITS, C8 Z06; great pairing
Totally underwhelmed by the support from my dealer and Honda. It’s the final straw for me so it’s going to be replaced by a G80 M3.
I’ve ditched cars for less. Sorry you’ve had such trouble with this

Mimzie2763

First Name
Parker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Toyota Supra Turbo 6MT, 2023 FL5
I am also experiencing this. Hopefully, a recall will come out soon.
Sponsored